Looking for 47-50' TV. What should I buy?

alladinkachirag

Dear FM's,

I know that this question has been asked countless times, and I have made sure that I search the forum enough to get most of the answers. However there is one basic doubt that I have -

I want to buy a 47' to 50' TV and I am more inclined to buy Plasma after reading through all the gyan in this and various other sources. The doubt over my preference on the panel type is because the TV will mostly be used for watching daily soaps (wife) and kids entertainment program (e.g. Doraemon) and movies only on weekends.

My concern is that there is a high chance of IR burn if plasma panel is used only to watch daily soaps, due the the channel logo and other static content in form of scrollers. Is this true?

I really want to buy the plasma panel (50ST60) however the concerns are putting me off.

Looking forward for FM's for advice.

My concern is that there is a high chance of IR burn if plasma panel is used only to watch daily soaps, due the the channel logo and other static content in form of scrollers. Is this true?
I think you will not get a definite answer as you will find people with few IRs,strong IRs and none IRs too. Its very subjective depending upon the manufacturing process, quality controls, usage, watching habbits etc.
Now a days latest plasma will minimize IR issue but it's certainly not 100% guaranteed due to nature of the technology.
Being careful for first initial hours and few usage precautions may turn your plasma totally IR free coupled with your luck.:)

Chirag ,

If you have read most of the posts in the forum on this topic you already have your answer...

The top end LED today produce PQ at par with most Plasma. The top end Plasma today don't have IR or brightness issues as before .. Ie the gap is narrowing. Having said that, each is designed and marketed for a niche Feature .. PQ vs Brightness/features etc

Determine your budget and use (soaps, movies, room lighting, kids/parents etc) , demo both and you shall have your answer :)

Btw - personally, I am in the market for exactly the same. I demo the Sony w800/950 and waiting for ST60 demo. My use is very different tho.. I'm a single guy who only watches movies and sports.

I have two plasmas, approximately 3 and 4 years old. My parents use the newer one. They watch a lot of regional channels everyday. These channels have huge logos and such splashed all over the screen. The top RHS has a bad case of IR. I also use my tv everyday. But for movies (HD) and gaming. During sporting events though, I watch those everyday and these channels also have big logos. I have faced TIR.

Vishal .. for you I think it is Plasma all the way, but be sure about the reflection issue which need to be managed.

Chirag .. if you want good & natural PQ then Plasma, but if you want & like bright and artficially vivid colours then LED will be better choice. Also if you don't have a good control over the light that might create reflection issue (in case you go for Plasma) then it will be a real let-down for you and in that case, go for LED.

9 Series LEDs are really very good (though a bit more tan required bright), but I liked it. The cost of 46W950 is just 10-20K more then 50ST60. SO it is within the range as well.

Thanks all for the directions.

My budget is around 1 lac, and W950 series (and also W900) for 46-47' is beyond my budget. People have posted good impressions about W800 and I am getting more inclined towards that. However the PQ thirst is making me rethink and getting the plasma.

Definitely the reflection issues are going to get in the way. Reading information on various posts/forums, seems the anti reflective panel of ST60 fares much better than the rest in the room with lights.

I would then say that based on the suggestions LED W800 is a good way to keep myself in the budget and ensuring good picture quality. Seems like 47' W800 is selling at 99K in eZone. Is that the best price we can get for this panel in Bangalore?

seems the anti reflective panel of ST60 fares much better than the rest in the room with lights.
mZjt

I have two plasmas, approximately 3 and 4 years old. My parents use the newer one. They watch a lot of regional channels everyday. These channels have huge logos and such splashed all over the screen. The top RHS has a bad case of IR. I also use my tv everyday. But for movies (HD) and gaming. During sporting events though, I watch those everyday and these channels also have big logos. I have faced TIR.

Shuv,

Does this IR hat you see on your panel is permanent?

Getting more scared after reading your experience with the panel... My tv will be treated to only channel with logos most of the time. Getting more restless and at the same losing hope of bringing home the beauty of plasma....

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Chirag, on my tv its TIR, temporary IR. Unfortunately on the other set I think the damage is worse. But, since I hardly watch anything on that tv, I don't know for sure.

Chirag, plasma is not for u ... It will be risky to buy... Even I liked plasma, but my tv watching is similar to urs , hence settled on led...800 is good...go for it ...

I own a samsung 43E490 bought last August. I didnot took any special precaution except asked children to change channels during advts. They are always glued to POGO and CN. On other times my wife and mother glued to local soaps. Till now there is no IR. So don't be scared by the scaremongers on IR.
Reflection is a real issue. The high end models you are looking at have anti reflective coatings. Still the front panel is of glass.

The plasmas generally are not bright as LCD/LEDs. So a brightly lit room is not for plasma.

What ever others say, I found that my plasma is very pleasant to eyes. No body is complaining of eye strain even after extended watching of this TV.

So if you do like the plasma, go for it.

I own a samsung 43E490 bought last August. I didnot took any special precaution except asked children to change channels during advts. They are always glued to POGO and CN. On other times my wife and mother glued to local soaps. Till now there is no IR. So don't be scared by the scaremongers on IR.
Reflection is a real issue. The high end models you are looking at have anti reflective coatings. Still the front panel is of glass.

The plasmas generally are not bright as LCD/LEDs. So a brightly lit room is not for plasma.

What ever others say, I found that my plasma is very pleasant to eyes. No body is complaining of eye strain even after extended watching of this TV.

So if you do like the plasma, go for it.

Agree 100%.

+1 to that. It is treat to watch the Plasma and with low light, i.e. darker rooms it just blows you over.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back