Looking for 4K Projector

1500 lumens is quite less, my optoma hd25 claims 2500lumens, but that too is peak momentary brightness and even at 2500 rated, i find it to be barely passable. Your milage may vary.
I have the sony 45es now which is rated 1800 peak lumens, and in low power mode it is quite bright on my gray screen. Since I got used to this level of brightness my concern is will 1500 lumens suffice, especially in low power mode (which I prefer because it reduces the fan noise which is another of my concern). Measured lumens in projector central review is showing average of 800 lumens in low power for the 270es and about 850 for the 45es. So will the 50 lumens make a big difference? My max budget is 4-4.5 lac, so not considering JVC or higher sony models for now which are all above 5.5.
Would request anyone who owned or seen the 270 to chime in please. Need to get a user based understanding of the brightness rather than some review.
Cheers,
Sid

1500 lumens is quite less, my optoma hd25 claims 2500lumens, but that too is peak momentary brightness and even at 2500 rated, i find it to be barely passable. Your milage may vary.
I was in the same understanding till I upgraded from Optoma to Benq 4K. By specifications Benq is less lumens but it is very bright in my room compared to optoma. Off course 4K with HDR 10 should have more lumens to support HDR.

The optoma hd25 brightness seems exaggerated, reviews state that it does not even reach 60% of its specified brightness, however it reaches average 950 lumens which is higher than my current sony.
Cheers,
Sid

BTW I went with Benq HT 3550, I’m not that happy because of two main issue I observed. Motion blur and having Chromatic aberration. You can see this within 5 ft from the screen. As you move away it is not observed. Major problem with this is it will create less focused image. This has nothing to do with my eyes :p. it all boils down to lens quality.

I always put my money on an Epson. From image quality to lamp cost, Epson is unbeatable. One can get a 9400 for around ₹1.80k to 1.90k. Use MadVR as the renderer. Done.

It is way brighter and does a great job with MadVR tone mapping the HDR content.

Lumagen or Envy can cost as much as a projector if not more. Unless you have a dedicated setup and spend considerable amount of time in the cave, I don't find the need.

JVC has the best tone mapping available on a projector. Pretty much set and forget it.

Recent Sony projectors are also worth the shot.

JVC is known for its punchy, sharp images, but mind you Epson is no slouch. It is pretty sharp and great black levels. Older models of JVC had even better contrast.

From a price to value point of view, Epson is the clear winner.

Again, if budget isn't an issue, JVC all the way.

Good luck.​

I had a terrible experience with Epson service center, the projector developed a problem after it was dropped by a student of mine. The projector was 2 plus years old and the service center straight up refused to repair it for me. They told me they can't get parts for it and I just have to buy a new one! 80grand down the drain in one go!

Last edited:
Hi sidvee, I have had various projectors in my room when I was using projectors, what may be of interest to you is that I demoed the Sony vw40 and went with the EH-TW8300, to my eyes brightness (after my own tweaking) was awash (maybe a tad in favour of Epson) but the Epson offered greater flexibility in tuning/settings with Sony offering better color out of the box. In my view you should not have any brightness issues. I will note here that I used the standard/dynamic modes tweaked for color, not the film/movie modes. Try the Epson you may find it to your liking and save some money to put towards some other item. If not surely the Sony is good at it's price.

Measured lumens in projector central review is showing average of 800 lumens in low power for the 270es and about 850 for the 45es. So will the 50 lumens make a big difference?

Unlikely, IMO.

My max budget is 4-4.5 lac, so not considering JVC or higher sony models for now which are all above 5.5.

The JVC NX5 is above 5.5L now?

Would request anyone who owned or seen the 270 to chime in please. Need to get a user based understanding of the brightness rather than some review.

Never owned a Sony, let alone the 270, so can't be of help there. HST, while I understand your concerns with brightness, I'd suggest you also seriously consider how HDR content is handled. AFAIK, there's no in-built dynamic tone mapping (DTM) for the 270.

Personally, I find HDR unwatchable without DTM. If you only watch content locally from your PC and can run madVR, you'll be fine with the Sony. If not, I expect you'll find yourself turning up the brightness i.e. going to high power mode, because HDR content is likely to seem too dim without DTM. And increased brightness is still not the solution for HDR that properly done DTM is.

If I were in your position, I'd seriously consider waiting until I could pony up for the JVC NX5. Outside of the external video processors, the JVC NX series has the best in-built DTM for projectors. I'd highly recommend one, especially given your viewing conditions. YMMV.

I am considering an upgrade to the sony 270. Trying to get a demo from the dealer, meanwhile if anyone has auditioned this model - can you advise on its brightness? Concerned that it is only rated at 1500 lumens (does it look dim?). Also if anyone has done a comparison of this to the epson 9400 (I know that is not a native 4k), I would be very interested in your opinion, specifically in 4k resolution and black levels. My viewing distance is 13' from a 110" elite grey screen in a 100% light controlled room.
Cheers,
Sid
Hi Sid,
I have Sony 270 es, I am using it in a partially light controlled room. I have a 150 inch elite screen with a gain of 1.3. In my room of 32 by 18 feet. It's brightness is more than adequate. Don't go by the numbers .
It's like comparing apple phone -12 mega pixels to android 42 megapixels.

In a 100 percent light controlled room you will love this projector. It's very vibrant.

There is no comparison between a native 4 k (Sony)and a non native pixelating 2 k projector( Epson).
I hope you would have read it - Epson only superimpose twice and not 4 times like the Benq ht5700- hence it has only half pixels

I have seen it Epson -it has only half pixels and if you watch it close - you will see a lot of pixels in screen

If you want I can send you some video clippings - you will be able to assess it.

The JVC NX5 is above 5.5L now?
Yes it is. I have owned 5 projectors in the last 12 years, - panasonic, epson and sony, so averaging one every 2.5 years (Out of those 3, I have simply junked, as 2 were 720p and 1 had reduced light output after about 1000 hours and I was hesitant to spend $350 on a new bulb for an outdated model). In that context I am disinclined to spend close to 6 lac for something that likely will start becoming obsolete in 2-3 years from now (with 8k on the horizon etc - I feel even spending 4 lac is too much in this context, but more acceptable to me ). Hence trying to limit my budget. So for now the toss up is between the sony and epson. I saw the epson yesterday in a FM's house and was impressed, but waiting to see the sony in action at my dealer, after which I will make the decision.
TBH I am quite satisfied with my 45es - it has some 600 hours - and looks stunning, but I have the 4k urge hence this exploration.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi Sid,
I have Sony 270 es, I am using it in a partially light controlled room. I have a 150 inch elite screen with a gain of 1.3. In my room of 32 by 18 feet. It's brightness is more than adequate. Don't go by the numbers .
It's like comparing apple phone -12 mega pixels to android 42 megapixels.

In a 100 percent light controlled room you will love this projector. It's very vibrant.

There is no comparison between a native 4 k (Sony)and a non native pixelating 2 k projector( Epson).
I hope you would have read it - Epson only superimpose twice and not 4 times like the Benq ht5700- hence it has only half pixels

I have seen it Epson -it has only half pixels and if you watch it close - you will see a lot of pixels in screen

If you want I can send you some video clippings - you will be able to assess it.
Thanks Siva, I will be seeing it soon for myself and then decide. I am currently leaning towards it, but wanted to hear from others, especially regarding the brightness.
Cheers,
Sid

Dont go by the numbers. The Sony 270ES at 1500 lumens is plenty bright.
Properly calibrated, the Epson should be as bright as the Sony 270ES and not more.
Sony 270 kills the Epson in almost every aspect in regards to picture quality.
Can spend around 5L, then get the NX 5. I believe you are being quoted wrong prices for it. It should not be that high.

Properly calibrated, the Epson should be as bright as the Sony 270ES and not more.
Can spend around 5L, then get the NX 5. I believe you are being quoted wrong prices for it. It should not be that high.
I haven't bargained with JVC dealer yet, so I am sure transaction price will be lower, but still above my budget. Anyways the Sony dealer is arranging a demo, so will take a call soon.
Cheers,
Sid

Sony is always good in all aspects compared to Epson .but is it worth spending 1.7-8 lakh extra.if budget is not of concern JVC is best at an extra 3 lakh .Epson is a good compromise for the price and features.
I own Epson 9400.considered it after going through lot of opinions. Once you start using it you will get used to the picture quality and won't fiddle much with the settings after 1 month of euphoria.

Yes it is. I have owned 5 projectors in the last 12 years, - panasonic, epson and sony, so averaging one every 2.5 years (Out of those 3, I have simply junked, as 2 were 720p and 1 had reduced light output after about 1000 hours and I was hesitant to spend $350 on a new bulb for an outdated model). In that context I am disinclined to spend close to 6 lac for something that likely will start becoming obsolete in 2-3 years from now (with 8k on the horizon etc - I feel even spending 4 lac is too much in this context, but more acceptable to me ). Hence trying to limit my budget. So for now the toss up is between the sony and epson. I saw the epson yesterday in a FM's house and was impressed, but waiting to see the sony in action at my dealer, after which I will make the decision.
TBH I am quite satisfied with my 45es - it has some 600 hours - and looks stunning, but I have the 4k urge hence this exploration.
Cheers,
Sid
If you're satisfied with your Sony, I will suggest to wait for a year. Epson will come up with a new product before the end of 2022.

I understand the urge to upgrade. But it's worth the wait when considering the regret of choosing an outdated one. 45es was great projector in its time. And still a great one in a dedicated setup.

Epson has oodles of brightness. Who knows, they may come up with a native 4k projector next year. Or a laser source, or with a great tone mapping.

I will suggest to hold your horses. Think about it.

+1. I'll say this: Without an external VP, the JVC NX5 is quite possibly the best value for money 4K projector that properly supports HDR. And IME, HDR trumps 4K in terms of viewing impact. I'd strongly encourage comparing the Sony with the NX5 before you make your decision, @sidvee.

If you need contacts of dealers with better pricing for the NX5, I'm happy to help. Good luck with whatever you end up choosing!

Although I dont own a projector, but I read somewhere that for 100inch screen, 1080p and 4k wont have much diff.
I have not validated this anywhere, but someone using 4k projector can throw some light on this.

Have you planning to audition these projector before spend such a huge amount?
That Is somewhat true, but Hdr does make a difference. And the added pixels make 4k content look good and a little more crisp.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back