Looking for a 2.0/1 music system in Blr

sh0080

Replacement for a Sonos Play 5

I had a Sonos Play 5 for over 18 months. However, due to certain issues I had to part ways with the Play 5 and am in the market for a new speaker system. Was looking for suggestions basis the below points/research already done by me.

1. Most important - As you would know, I am based in India - not a lot of brands service their products here - this is a very important factor for me having learnt the hard way with Sonos
2. Airplay support - I am only looking for music playback primarily over Apply Music. I also believe Airplay is a better loss less medium vs Bluetooth. Bluetooth playback is an absolute no!
3. Not hung up on a single unit - The thing that Sonos taught me was a single speaker can only do so much. I am ok looking at a detailed 2.1 setup. 5.1 does not make sense for me since this is for music only
4. No Playbars - Certainly looking for speakers and no all in one setups like a playbar

Basis my initial research and considering the support in India, I have zeroed in on a stereo Homepod pair (would cost 40K INR or 550 USD). There were options on Dali Oberon but not sure of the support. There are lots of great soundbars (as most will have me believe) from Sony and JBL however am not sure of their music only performance. Am not a big fan kf soundbars either.

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated!

Bumping this up for some suggestions.

Basis my initial research have expanded my options a bit.

1. Apple Homepods (Pair : 40K)
  2. Edifier R2000DB (16.6K)
  3. QA 3020I (26.9K) + Denon X250BT (30k)
  4. QA 3020I (26.9K) + Yamaha HTR3072 (26k)
  5. PSB Alpha P5 (28k) + Either of above amps

Finally, one APC Back-UPS BX600C UPS so that no power spike screws up the gear!
And one Airplay adapter for the Amp.

If you are only looking for music playback go for a stereo amplifier
At a budget of 30k for the amplifier you can go for Marantz PM6006 , the 3020i is a good choice , never listened to the P5

Thanks. Will check out Marantz PM6006.
How is Hifimart as a dealer? Do they cover warranty? If so, for which brands?
Also what is a recommended power backup and surge protectors for these hifi system?

Thanks. Will check out Marantz PM6006.
How is Hifimart as a dealer? Do they cover warranty? If so, for which brands?
Also what is a recommended power backup and surge protectors for these hifi system?

The owner of hifimart and our forum hifivision is the same person.
Pls contact him directly

You're buying hi-fi. It lasts 10 years and good ones take you on a very good journey.
Look at this post:
Yeah. Totally agree.
My search has been narrowed down to Q Acoustics 3030i (over the 3020, PSB Alpha 5 and and Wharfedale Diamond 11.1)
On the amp, I am leaning towards Denon 600 NE (primarily due to Bluetooth and sub out option vs Maratz 6006). Although I am exploring airplay receivers to help minimize content loss!

Yeah. Totally agree.
My search has been narrowed down to Q Acoustics 3030i (over the 3020, PSB Alpha 5 and and Wharfedale Diamond 11.1)
On the amp, I am leaning towards Denon 600 NE (primarily due to Bluetooth and sub out option vs Maratz 6006). Although I am exploring airplay receivers to help minimize content loss!
It will give 2db dr level of sound. I have such a system. Buy a speaker with 7 inch woofer for more bass. But marantz has bass increasing option. Receivers are not good amps in this range.
Increase your budget. My experience says that 3db level sound is the one to go for. Apple speakers etc must be giving 1db dynamic range sound.

Last edited:
The 3030 does have a 6.5 inch woofer and does have +- 3db at lower end.
how do i play Apple music best on these speakers is a question I am grappling with currently.

The 3030 does have a 6.5 inch woofer and does have +- 3db at lower end.
how do i play Apple music best on these speakers is a question I am grappling with currently.

For almost the same price, you have another brilliant option in Dali Oberon 1. Sounds neutral and has great musicality.

Best option would be active speakers like Sonodyne SRP 204. It comes with Bi-Amplifier of 80W for Woofer and 50W for tweeter in each speaker.
Wall mount bracket also available. Supports RCA and XLR inputs.
As you may be aware it uses active crossover at pre-amp section and amplification is done after the crossover, which is better than passive crossover which comes after amplifier in normal setup.

You can use Denon DNP800NE or Marantz NA6006 or Marantz AVR 1509 to connect via Airplay. (In this only Marantz AVR gives you subwoofer out )

Since you mentioned about Denon 600NE you can contact The Home Cinema (Rupesh - 8296500666). I think they have a Denon 800NE demo unit for sale.

Best option would be active speakers like Sonodyne SRP 204. It comes with Bi-Amplifier of 80W for Woofer and 50W for tweeter in each speaker.
Wall mount bracket also available. Supports RCA and XLR inputs.
As you may be aware it uses active crossover at pre-amp section and amplification is done after the crossover, which is better than passive crossover which comes after amplifier in normal setup.

You can use Denon DNP800NE or Marantz NA6006 or Marantz AVR 1509 to connect via Airplay. (In this only Marantz AVR gives you subwoofer out )

Since you mentioned about Denon 600NE you can contact The Home Cinema (Rupesh - 8296500666). I think they have a Denon 800NE demo unit for sale.
Thanks for the info. The Sonodyne actives vs Klipsch R51M - which is preferred?
The Airplay receivers seem out of budget. I am restricted to 50k around about.
My current best option looks to be PM6006 Marantz and QA 3030i.
Sadly, it is very difficult to audition this given the current scenario so will have to take the plunge basis inputs here.

The sound signature of Sonodyne and Klipsch are different. Ideally you should listen and decide.
Personally I like Sonodyne sound. Klipsch uses horn tweeter and I feel it enhanced high frequencies beyond by preference.
Sonodyne SRP204 got 6.5" drivers and 130W Amp power for each speaker.
Klipsh R51M got 5.25" drivers and 60W power for each speaker
SRP204 freq response is 55Hz (-3dB) onwards, in case of Klipsch it is 68Hz onwards

Klipsh supports direct play from mobile via bluetooth and you can connect subwoofer to it. But if you are going to have external receivers, then you don't need blutootch, subout etc. on the speaker.

I believe PM6006 doesn't support Airply, you will need another device to support airplay.

The sound signature of Sonodyne and Klipsch are different. Ideally you should listen and decide.
Personally I like Sonodyne sound. Klipsch uses horn tweeter and I feel it enhanced high frequencies beyond by preference.
Sonodyne SRP204 got 6.5" drivers and 130W Amp power for each speaker.
Klipsh R51M got 5.25" drivers and 60W power for each speaker
SRP204 freq response is 55Hz (-3dB) onwards, in case of Klipsch it is 68Hz onwards

Klipsh supports direct play from mobile via bluetooth and you can connect subwoofer to it. But if you are going to have external receivers, then you don't need blutootch, subout etc. on the speaker.

I believe PM6006 doesn't support Airply, you will need another device to support airplay.
Sonodyne SRP204 looks killer on paper - 6.5’’ drivers and 130W amps is better than the passive setup of QA3030 and Marantz 6006.
Will definitely check it out. I think the Sonodynes will be astronomically priced though.
For airplay, have to get an adapter. There are many in the 1-1.5k range on Amazon.

Since these are active speakers, how do you think I can add more speakers going forward?

Sonodyne SRP 204 is 1.4Lakhs primarily due to the Aluminum die cast body.
There is a PM100 from Sonodyne that feels like a good alternative with similar drivers and frequency response range and a class AB inbuilt amp. However the lack of aluminum die cast body primarily brings the cost down.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back