Looking for a DAC at around 20k

har297

Hi All....

Currently using humble hifimediydac from a long time...it is serving well given the price and package.

the only input i will be using is a USB. After lot of searching , comparing, come across below items which may be of interest.

1. Topping D50 - Rated to be one of the best in it's price bracket.
2. SMSL M8.
3. DIY with a Soekris dam1021.

I am not a fan of Modi dac's...so Modi is left out :)

So if there are any alternatives, i would be interested to know..

Thanks
Harsha

Hi All....

Currently using humble hifimediydac from a long time...it is serving well given the price and package.

the only input i will be using is a USB. After lot of searching , comparing, come across below items which may be of interest.

2. SMSL M8.

Thanks
Harsha
ifi ones available for 12k onwards, i have one bought from headphonezone. sound quality is good but i dont recommend headphonezone as i received a defective one and their return policy is not so convenient. i was looking for topping, smsl but due to lack of warranty i didnt get them.

Hi All....

2. SMSL M8.

Thanks
Harsha
What is your source...try changing that before DAC..that will convert into much bigger thing

Guy comes for advice and this turns into.a sale thread. Please post your offerings when OP creates a wanted thread
Having said that Smsl M8 is an ok choice if it can be had for under 10k. Its a rough sounding lofi dac but I've heard worse for the price.
For significant gains Soekris is a good choice but it cant be had for 20k. Even a used decent soekris build would command 30k+

Guy comes for advice and this turns into.a sale thread. Please post your offerings when OP creates a wanted thread
Having said that Smsl M8 is an ok choice if it can be had for under 10k. Its a rough sounding lofi dac but I've heard worse for the price.
For significant gains Soekris is a good choice but it cant be had for 20k. Even a used decent soekris build would command 30k+

Advice can turn into opportunities on the forum.
If the OP doesn't mind and fundamental forum rules aren't bent it should be fine.
Cheers,
Raghu

Agree with this. The Soekris needs an overbuilt power supply, which is expensive. Simply buying the board and plugging in a transformer is nowhere near enough. Also, the USB adapter will add to cost.

You may be better off buying an older, used DAC and adding a USB adapter. Whether this solution works well for you or not would depend on what resolution you are targeting. In particular, this option would not work well for DSD

I have a budget setup (Rpi-Dac-Norge amp & speakers) and used the Sonodyne DAC1 for sometime with fairly good results at that price (14k). I dont beleive the DAC 1 is available now (website doesnt list it anymore), maybe you could try and see if you can get a used one

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back