Looking for a DAC with XLR/TRS outs

Rajiv Majumdar

Hi, I'm putting together a hifi system for a friend using active speakers (Yamaha HS8/Kali LP8).

I'm looking for a streamer with a built-in DAC (or a standalone DAC) which has XLR or TRS outs (no RCA), and which also comes with a remote. The RME Adi2 is out of budget, also overkill for this project.

Would like to avoid a DIY solution involving a raspberry pi. I'm rubbish with a soldering iron.

Any ideas?

Do you have a budget in mind?
The Cambridge Dac Magic Plus has balanced output.

Remote skews the choices - not normal in pro DACs. I've used a Behringer SRC2496, good as a dac. Use with a monitor controller. Same solution would work with other pro DACs as well.

For the streamer, use the allo options. They sell it assembled, no soldering needed. Just make sure whatever DAC you chose has a SPDIF input (the Behringer mentioned above does).

Topping D90 fits all your requirements except streaming (well in some way it does - it has Bluetooth LDAC). It has XLR outs and a remote.

It is comparable to the RME ADI2 as a pure DAC.

I may be selling mine soon. In Bangalore. PM me if interested.

Remote skews the choices - not normal in pro DACs. I've used a Behringer SRC2496, good as a dac. Use with a monitor controller. Same solution would work with other pro DACs as well.

For the streamer, use the allo options. They sell it assembled, no soldering needed. Just make sure whatever DAC you chose has a SPDIF input (the Behringer mentioned above does).

The monitor controller is something I hadn't considered. I have one lying around, that's an excellent suggestion.

Topping D90 fits all your requirements except streaming (well in some way it does - it has Bluetooth LDAC). It has XLR outs and a remote.

It is comparable to the RME ADI2 as a pure DAC.

I may be selling mine soon. In Bangalore. PM me if interested.

I'd be interested. Dropping you a PM.

If you do end up narrowing on the SRC2496, let me know. I'll be letting mine go. It's been a backup DAC for use with a monitor controller, recently got replaced with a different one

My apologies, made the cardinal sin of not including a budget.

So this build is for a friend who is not an audiophile. He was looking at buying a Bose Soundbar when he called me. He was looking at spend some 60k on the soundbar and then add a sub to it. So I'd imagine another 30-40k for the sub. So his budget was about 90k to a lakh.

I initially suggested getting a KEF LSX instead, someone had a used pair for sale at 75k, but it was sold by the time I enquired about it.

Keeping his requirements of having a remote, being able to access streaming services, and his liking a flat uncolored sound, I'm currently suggesting him the following setup -

Yamaha HS8 Active Studio monitors - 45k
Pretty neutral sound, with a tight bottom end through it's 8" drivers.

Yamaha WXC 50 streamer dac - 26.5k
Not the greatest dac, but is good enough for the studio monitors. Has a bunch of options for streaming, and a fairly decent app.

Pair of XLR to RCA cables - 800

So the total spend comes about 72k change for a setup with all new components (another thing he was nervous about, was buying used).

Thanks for your suggestions!

Buying used from HFV from established members, in my experience, is an almost risk-free experience. People take very good care of their equipment, many have multiple setups so equipment often has very few hours of actual usage on it, and most folks are genuinely looking to find a good new home for their perfectly working equipment when the upgrade bug hits.

His money will get him a lot more IMO buying from HFV FMs. However buying from OLX and dealers is a crap shoot for sure.

If looking for eight inch monitors, also check out the Presonus Eris. Has RCA inputs from what I recall.

Buying used from HFV from established members, in my experience, is an almost risk-free experience. People take very good care of their equipment, many have multiple setups so equipment often has very few hours of actual usage on it, and most folks are genuinely looking to find a good new home for their perfectly working equipment when the upgrade bug hits.

His money will get him a lot more IMO buying from HFV FMs. However buying from OLX and dealers is a crap shoot for sure.
I can personally attest to this statement.
Last year @jai1611 parted with his Lyrita/AKSA combo.
The way these boxes look, no one would not even give them a fourth glance, let alone second.

Similarly, I picked up a pair of speakers from @manniraj
This was his first DIY project. Yes there are faults to be found in execution and later refits.
None of them affect how they sound though.

So the sonics they bring to the table are grossly disproportional to looks and what they were sold for.
In a good way .... :D

In the wrong hands, they would have been passed around like a bad penny.
So yeah, there is gold hidden on the forum w.r.t used equipment

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:

I've heard some members pack their stuff to survive a nuclear war as well during shipment.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back