Raspberry pi 3b+ with X920 DAC HAT or PI 4 with iquadio... Aptx, ldac quality etc questions

DAB

Hey all
Been thinking of adding a DAC to my humble fosi bt20a pro, just as an experiment, to be honest I don't know what I am looking for...

I seem to be having 2 options available through a couple of my friends...
I generally stream via Bluetooth from Spotify on my iphone..
OR
I also stream via my Google chromecast audio as well

Pi3b+ with a x920 hat (with pcm5122) the hat is old, pretty old I guess
Or
A pi 4 with a brand new iquadio dac hat ( pretty pricey as compared to the first option as both would have to be bought new)

1...Which is a better option..
2... Do both these arrangements support aptx, aptxHD, ldac etc. Via Bluetooth
3... I will be syraming my music from my android or iphone via Bluetooth... Hope these pi setup has bluetooth input.
4.. Are these pi setups good as dac... Or I should try and look for something like a proper bluetooth streamer dac device... Like the auris blume or xduoo xq-50 pro etc

Thanks

If you are interested in a discrete R2R HAT for raspberry-pi let me know.
I have one for sale at 20k.
It is a very good DAC with a balanced sound signature,l with lovely mids.

Discrete R2R DAC Hat

If your intended purpose is streaming through bluetooth, better stay away from pi. The reason is even though the latest pi support version 5 , none of the free pi OS's ( volumio or moode etc) having those better codecs ( ldac, aptx etc). Also it's not straight forward to configure the same.

Pi as a streamer is good for Spotify, airplay, tidal, qobuz etc. But not good for Bluetooth. For bluetooth you can have better options like Auris blume hd or Ifi zen blue etc.

Thanks @Kannan for the latest update.. when the time I was tinkering with, bluetooth codecs are meh.. only free sbc.

@DAB Spotify is what you want to stream then better use Spotify connect or airplay to the Pi. It makes more sense instead of bluetooth to Pi.

Thanks @Kannan for the latest update.. when the time I was tinkering with, bluetooth codecs are meh.. only free sbc.

@DAB Spotify is what you want to stream then better use Spotify connect or airplay to the Pi. It makes more sense instead of bluetooth to Pi.
Actually I find using Google chromecast audio a far better option to stream Spotify to my amp from my phone, than bluetooth..
A.. Coz of wifi streaming
B.. Goggle chromecast audio has a DAC inbuilt so it sounds better...

Do you think pi can improve this chain in someway?
Iphone with Spotify at maximum settings > wifi streaming to Google chromecast audio > fosi bt20a pro connected to gca via rca inputs > Sony speakers

In that case you may better invest on a DAC and use the digital output of Chromecast audio instead of rca out, which will definitely improve your audio experience. Even if you use Pi the dac (whether it's HAT or external), which will decide the audio quality provided remaining chain of equipments are same.

In that case you may better invest on a DAC and use the digital output of Chromecast audio instead of rca out, which will definitely improve your audio experience. Even if you use Pi the dac (whether it's HAT or external), which will decide the audio quality provided remaining chain of equipments are same.
Yes i realised that,
Buying a pi and the hat looked a messy affair and the cost was upwards of 6k hence I decided to buy the Xduoo xq50 pro2, but my bad luck my purchases failed and its oos everywhere...

Yes i realised that,
Buying a pi and the hat looked a messy affair and the cost was upwards of 6k hence I decided to buy the Xduoo xq50 pro2, but my bad luck my purchases failed and its oos everywhere...
There is an Aiyima T8 for sale in the classified section, please check it out..
Edit: It doesn't have LDAC, but other better codecs are available.. also it's having all other input options with remote

Last edited:
The Xduoo xq50 pro2, seemed am extremely competent option in terms of features that I want, plus it costs just 7290... Got all the bells and whistles plus all the bluetooth codecs

The Xduoo xq50 pro2, seemed am extremely competent option in terms of features that I want, plus it costs just 7290... Got all the bells and whistles plus all the bluetooth codecs
incase you have not purchased it, As FM Kannan suggested, please also checkout FiiO BTA30pro - a very good DAC which also works as a digital transport and has excellent connectivity options minus a remote (it has a corresponding App that you can download on your mobile and use it for configuring the DAC). It also supports LDAC OOB.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back