Looking for a HT in 50K - 60K

medianandha

A few days back, I have bought this Polk magnifi mini Soundbar for my living room. Actually, with this size, it produces very good sound especially the clarity in voice is really awesome.

But somehow I felt, all the sounds are coming from the center of the TV only, couldn't enjoy much especially while listening to music. I am not sure whether it's how all the soundbars work or because of the small size of the bar.

My last post regarding the Polk mini https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...with-mi-tv-55-via-hdmi-arc.77909/#post-857292

So I have decided to return it by tomorrow and again want to go for a Descent AVR + Speakers Combo.

So below are my requirements. Can you guys give me some clarity on this?

Need: HT for my L shaped Living Room. (24.5x11 + 12x11.5)
Usage
: 50% Music, 50% Movies
Source: Netflix, Amazon Prime / Online Streaming Music apps
Budget: 50K - 60K (Can't stretch much)

Condition: No Floor standers as the hall is the playground for many children it's not at all possible.

Expectation: Network AVR is the top Preference. The speakers have to be good at producing Dialogue and Music. 5.1 is more than enough for me.

My Picks of AVR:

Marantz 1509 (34k)
Denon 1400H (36K)
Denon 550BT (27K) + Chromecast for Network Features.

Now Speakers are the big question mark here.

If I go with some Satellite speaker package, I may get a 5.1 set up within my budget. But can It produce very good sound in this large space?

Or If only BS are the option for me, what will be the recommendation in the mentioned budget?

Soundbars are not that great for music, especially for stereo imaging.
Marantz 1509 looks good for your usage. As you have already returned the soundbar, I would suggest going with a pair of bookshelves only to start with. This will fit well within your budget. You can add the rest of the components later, as budget permits.

For BS you may look at wharfedale diamond 220 or Fyne audio F300 at 18-20K
Alternative is Taga 5.0 at 24k, subwoofer later.

If you go for satellite 5.1, I think you will soon end up returning it too.

If I go with some Satellite speaker package, I may get a 5.1 set up within my budget. But can It produce very good sound in this large space?

If you could share a rough drawing of your room and where you intend to place the system, that would help understand and suggest accordingly..

Am sure, you wouldn't be using the entire room dimensions, speakers would probably be closer to you than your mentioned room dimensions.. By all means a 5.1 set-up should be able to deliver what you are looking for..

My Picks of AVR:
Marantz 1509 (34k)
Denon 1400H (36K)
Denon 550BT (27K) + Chromecast for Network Features.

If you pick 7.1 AVR (Denon x 1400), then you wouldn't have much left for speakers.. Better to opt for 5.1 AVR and speaker and finish by adding a sub-woofer sooner or later.. Denon 550BT seems a better choice here..

Pioneer AVR have chromecast built-in.. So casting from mobile should be easy.. May also be lesser expensive than the models that you have listed.. Do check and compare features and settle for the one which you accommodate in your budget..

Thanks for your answer.

If you could share a rough drawing of your room and where you intend to place the system, that would help understand and suggest accordingly..

living-room-ht.png

The Red marked 1 is the place where the TV & setup will be placed. That 24 x 10 size one side I am going to use for my setup.

Denon 550BT seems a better choice here..

Good to know this. It might help me to save some bucks in AVR. So If I choose 550BT + Chromecast Am I going to miss any network feature available in the other two models?

And Do you have any BS suggestions?

View attachment 42434

The Red marked 1 is the place where the TV & setup will be placed. That 24 x 10 size one side I am going to use for my setup.

Ok.. If you were to place the AVR at where the TV is, then you might get 7 ft space (Leaving the main door) as room width to space L-C-R, which is too tight to fit three speakers..

If you have the option to swap TV and AVR position to the 24ft wall, then you have made some good spacing between speakers and can also position surrounds nicely away from your ears for great surround ambiance.. Up to you to choose based on room limitation / preference..

Good to know this. It might help me to save some bucks in AVR. So If I choose 550BT + Chromecast Am I going to miss any network feature available in the other two models?

Not really.. To cast anything from mobile, you need chromecast.. For audio streaming you can use bluetooth pairing with AVR/mobile..

And Do you have any BS suggestions?

There are BS models, but to complete 5.0 it may exceed your budget.. Consider Taga Harmony Platinum series, Mission, Polk in the pocket friendly range.. If you go BS route, then you will need a sub-woofer to complement the lows..

Taga TAV 5.0 FS package would be apt choice by not exceeding your budget, but you don't seem to prefer FS..

If you go for satellite 5.1, I think you will soon end up returning it too.

Good to get a firm answer to make some decisions when we are in confusion. :)

Alternative is Taga 5.0 at 24k, subwoofer later.

To be frank, TAGA is the best option in my budget. But unfortunately, I couldn't use Floorsdtanders. Let me check BS options. Thanks.

Ok.. If you were to place the AVR at where the TV is, then you might get 7 ft space (Leaving the main door) as room width to space L-C-R, which is too tight to fit three speakers..

I think the TV Box and provisions are all designed in that way. It's very hard to change that now. Let me update you a picture for better understanding. Sorry for the poor image.

1578407383764.png

I think the TV Box and provisions are all designed in that way. It's very hard to change that now. Let me update you a picture for better understanding. Sorry for the poor image.

View attachment 42435

No worries. i think this image is good enough.. If you can't swap sides, then fine.. BS is the only choice you have to place besides TV..

You may consider Sonodyne Genie Series speakers. You may get 5.0 speaker set within 25k. You may add Sonodyne GL8 subwoofer with it (around 16k).

I would suggest the Marantz 1509 and the Wharfedale DX2 speaker set.
A friend bought this combo recently , and the sound is room filling.

You may consider Sonodyne Genie Series speakers. You may get 5.0 speaker set within 25k. You may add Sonodyne GL8 subwoofer with it (around 16k).

Any Idea where can I audition the above two suggested Speaker setup. In the Sonodyne site I couldn't find the dealer in Chennai.

Talked with the corresponding persons and got to know that Volumate Chennai is the official dealer of Sonodyne.

Now need to find the persons who are dealing with Wharfedale Speakers to audition.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back