Looking for a streamer

abhinavsri01

Hi

I'm looking to buy a streamer. Budget is max 40k.

My current setup for streaming is the Spotify/Tidal app on my LG Smart TV which is connected through Optical to my Yamaha AVR. I want to remove the TV from the chain.

I like the Bluesound Node but it is way over my budget. Best quote I got is for around 60k.

Alternate suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Considering your budget/requirement, get a NUC (NUC7CJYH should suffice, RAM/SSD additional) and install Volumio (Rs.270/month) on it. With this setup, you should be able to play Spotify/Tidal through your AVR seamlessly.

Hi

I'm looking to buy a streamer. Budget is max 40k.

My current setup for streaming is the Spotify/Tidal app on my LG Smart TV which is connected through Optical to my Yamaha AVR. I want to remove the TV from the chain.

I like the Bluesound Node but it is way over my budget. Best quote I got is for around 60k.

Alternate suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Hi,
Are you looking for just a streamer or a Streamer with a DAC. Let me explain my understanding of this

I have tried a few (Raspberry pi based ones, a Chrome cast Audio, aBluesiunf node 2 and a DNM.
In my understanding more expensive streamers are more expensive because of better DACs built in.
Of course more expensive ones are better built, have quality power supply, some may have a display or even a pre amp stage with volume control. They also tend to have better software design for good user interface and ease of use.

But to receive wired or wireless signals from your router (Spotify, Tidal, Gaana, etc) any streamer witha digital output (Coax or optical or preferably both, will do) This gives you the choice of bypassing the not very good built in DAC and selecting a good DAC of your choice according to your budget. The DAC will make the most difference in the audio quality, assuming the rest of your chain is good.

if you have the budget then a high quality streamer DAC is worth trying (two functions in one box). Otherwise a streamer with digital output and the best external DAC that you can currently afford would be a good choice IMO. Disadvantage? Two boxes, need good inter connects.

I currently use a DNM A2 streamer to an external DAC (Mytek Liberty or PS audio digital link) and am quite happy at the moment. It can be controlled through the MUZO app from my phone or iPad. Set up is quick and painless and I can do Tidal and Spotify. I prefer the BluOS interface. But as you pointed out the Bluesound node is 50k more and I still preferred my external DAC to its built in DAC.

The DNM cost me @8200 and was shipped from Pune or Mumbai in two days. I am not able to get my favourite radio stations like Radio Paradise on the MUZO app. But I hope future updates will do this.

Hope this helps.

Considering your budget/requirement, get a NUC (NUC7CJYH should suffice, RAM/SSD additional) and install Volumio (Rs.270/month) on it. With this setup, you should be able to play Spotify/Tidal through your AVR seamlessly.
Thank you. Will explore about this option. Does this system need an external DAC?

Hi,
Are you looking for just a streamer or a Streamer with a DAC. Let me explain my understanding of this

I have tried a few (Raspberry pi based ones, a Chrome cast Audio, aBluesiunf node 2 and a DNM.
In my understanding more expensive streamers are more expensive because of better DACs built in.
Of course more expensive ones are better built, have quality power supply, some may have a display or even a pre amp stage with volume control. They also tend to have better software design for good user interface and ease of use.

But to receive wired or wireless signals from your router (Spotify, Tidal, Gaana, etc) any streamer witha digital output (Coax or optical or preferably both, will do) This gives you the choice of bypassing the not very good built in DAC and selecting a good DAC of your choice according to your budget. The DAC will make the most difference in the audio quality, assuming the rest of your chain is good.

if you have the budget then a high quality streamer DAC is worth trying (two functions in one box). Otherwise a streamer with digital output and the best external DAC that you can currently afford would be a good choice IMO. Disadvantage? Two boxes, need good inter connects.

I currently use a DNM A2 streamer to an external DAC (Mytek Liberty or PS audio digital link) and am quite happy at the moment. It can be controlled through the MUZO app from my phone or iPad. Set up is quick and painless and I can do Tidal and Spotify. I prefer the BluOS interface. But as you pointed out the Bluesound node is 50k more and I still preferred my external DAC to its built in DAC.

The DNM cost me @8200 and was shipped from Pune or Mumbai in two days. I am not able to get my favourite radio stations like Radio Paradise on the MUZO app. But I hope future updates will do this.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Rpi is not my cup of tea. I'll prefer a simpler setup. I'm inclined towards Bluesound node as the inbuilt DAC seems a good one. I've read about many streaming options in this forum but never heard about your setup. Will check this out.

The AudioLab 6000, at around 46k is an option. The buggy DTS app has improved quite a bit.

Thank you. Will explore about this option. Does this system need an external DAC?
No, you can either use the built-in DAC of NUC and send the Analog signal or pass the Bitstream to AVR and let the AVR do the rest.

Edit :- If your AVR supports Upnp then you can use mremote app on your phone and stream Tidal directly to your AVR.

Last edited:
Buy a Mi TV Box.

Connect to your AVR via HDMI.

Once you have done the setup, connected the Mi TV box to your WiFi / Ethernet cable, and installed Spotify etc, you can use Spotify Connect to play music from the box, via AVR. You can control the music through the Spotify app on your phone.

Your TV does not need to be on.

Hope that helps.

You can check out my earlier thread on this :

Hi @abhinavsri01
in your starting post you have stated you wanted to remove your TV from the chain.
Could you explain why?
Hi

I do not want to keep a 65" TV switched on for only listening to music. Though my major listening happens on Spotify, I'm also trying Tidal & I think the TV output does not do justice to the sound quality. Also, though Spotify connect is easy to control, it is cumbersome to control Tidal through the TV app.

Buy a Mi TV Box.

Connect to your AVR via HDMI.

Once you have done the setup, connected the Mi TV box to your WiFi / Ethernet cable, and installed Spotify etc, you can use Spotify Connect to play music from the box, via AVR. You can control the music through the Spotify app on your phone.

Your TV does not need to be on.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the idea. I have an old firestick lying around. I believe the same workaround can work for firestick also. Also if I connect through HDMI, will my AVR DAC be used or the processing will be done by Firestick?

With intel NUC you can use daphile and play Spotify/Tidal/Local Music collection. With daphile you will require external USB DAC.
Tidal is limited to CD quality(44.1 khz) flac on daphile.

With daphile you will not require subscription which is required for volumio (270 rs/month).

I have been using daphile from last 2 years.

Hi

I do not want to keep a 65" TV switched on for only listening to music. Though my major listening happens on Spotify, I'm also trying Tidal & I think the TV output does not do justice to the sound quality. Also, though Spotify connect is easy to control, it is cumbersome to control Tidal through the TV app.
That clears it up a bit. You want a set up just for music, separate from your AV / HT.
Since you intend to use your Yamaha AVRs amp and DAC presumably all you need is a streamer that can stream Spotify and Tidal. DNM AS2 ticks all your requirements, it has optical out too. So you can use your existing optical cable.

You should be able to get it cheaper. Talk to Jude at The Revolver Club, if you haven't already. You should be able to get it below 50K.

Rpi is not my cup of tea. I'll prefer a simpler setup. I'm inclined towards Bluesound node as the inbuilt DAC seems a good one.
Same here, though I haven't used too many streamers but couldn't live with NUC/RPI setups. Used AL6000N, FireStick, MiBox, ATV4K and Node 2i, and for stereo stuck to that, simple to use and best sound quality (to my ears) of the ones I mentioned above. I would love to try Arylic at some point simply because of the rave reviews it has.

You should be able to get it cheaper. Talk to Jude at The Revolver Club, if you haven't already. You should be able to get it below 50K.

Same here, though I haven't used too many streamers but couldn't live with NUC/RPI setups. Used AL6000N, FireStick, MiBox, ATV4K and Node 2i, and for stereo stuck to that, simple to use and best sound quality (to my ears) of the ones I mentioned above. I would love to try Arylic at some point simply because of the rave reviews it has.
I got in touch with Lalan from The Revolver Club. Best they quoted was 54000.

Which Arylic model are you referring to? Will check it out.

Back