Looking for HTPC cabinet suggestions for Audio PC

venkatcr

I have a HTPC I am very happy with, though I am going to re-install the OS and may go through some hiccups again.

I also have an audio-PC with the following configuration:

1. Asus PSB 5 Deluxe MB (full ATX)
2. 4 GB RAM
3. Asus EAH5670 1GM video card (the damn MB does not have a display connection, can you believe that?)
4. Asus Xonar ST audio card.
5. 650 watts power supply from Corsair.
6. A Zerbronics card reader.
7. An Samsung DVD read/write unit.
8. One 500 GB hard disk, and one 2 TB hard disk. A third 3 TB hard disk has just been purchased.
9. 64 bit Windows 7 with Foobar, and nothing else.
10. A CoolerMaster vertical cabinet, Logitech wireless KB and mouse.

I want to install the electronics in an HTPC cabinet as that will fit my HT rack well. I already have a Silverstone GD01 in which I have my HTPC.

I am looking for a good HTPC cabinet that will take some 4 or 5 HDDs, all the current equipment, and run silently. Though I can get another GD01, I am looking for suggestions to see if I can get a better cabinet.

My budget is 15K.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have a HTPC I am very happy with, though I am going to re-install the OS and may go through some hiccups again.

I also have an audio-PC with the following configuration:

1. Asus PSB 5 Deluxe MB (full ATX)
2. 4 GB RAM
3. Asus EAH5670 1GM video card (the damn MB does not have a display connection, can you believe that?)
4. Asus Xonar ST video card.
5. 650 watts power supply from Corsair.
6. A Zerbronics card reader.
7. An Samsung DVD read/writ unit.
8. One 500 GB hard disk, and one 2 TB hard disk. A third 3 TB hard disk has just been purchased.
9. 64 bit windows 7 with foobar, and nothing else.
10. A CoolerMaster vertical cabinet, Logitech wireless KB and mouse.

I want to install the electronics in an HTPC cabinet as that will fit my HT rack well. I already have a Silverstone GD01 in which I have my HTPC.

I am looking for a good HTPC cabinet that will take some 4 or 5 HDDs, all the current equipment, and run silently. Though I can get another GD01, I am looking for suggestions to see if I can get a better cabinet.

My budget is 15K.

Cheers

Even I have a mobo without a display card, and I purchased it, installed it and was searching for the vga port when I realized it doesnt have one:lol:.

You cant fit all this in a small cabinet. essence itself is kinda big. you also have ATX mobo, most of them will be microatx boards. There might be a few that support atx, but it might be huge.
Your power supply also might be too big for a standard cab. what size can you accomodate in the rack?

How about using a single htpc and using the second one as a NAS server.

Your power supply also might be too big for a standard cab. what size can you accomodate in the rack?

How about using a single htpc and using the second one as a NAS server.

My rack size for the HTPC alone is about 17Wx13Hx20D, all in inches.

I am not looking at a NAS server right now. My HTPC can take 6 HDDs, and I want my Audi-PC to also take the same number. After that I am looking at an external HDD dock into which I can insert HDD that I want to use. That is for the HTPC only.

For the Audio-PC I don't think I will cross 12TB of music. Will be too old and half deaf by then so it won't matter.

Cheers

I will load the picture in the evening, but I don't see the relevance.

In March end, yes.

Cheers

If you have someone coming in from the US who can get one for you, the possibilities with that budget are amazing!

Well, the room pic is very important as it allows us to help you find one that compliments the room, no point of an htpc case if it dosn't compliment the room along with your other gear now, is there :). Cuz you could just put your pc horizontally if you didnt care about how it looks ;)

Also what amplifier/receiver are you using and what heatsink do you use, stock?

Last edited:
Cuz you could just put your pc horizontally if you didnt care about how it looks ;)

Also what amplifier/receiver are you using and what heatsink do you use, stock?

I did consider the option of placing the machine horizontally, but somehow it does not look nice. Moreover, I will not be able to use the optical drive at all.

Let me do some research and post a list of cabinets I am considering.

The amp I am using is Onkyo 875.

Cheers

venkat will order for room later - like he has all components for last few years and is now ordering a house for them :)

the LC16m will take your 6 HDD's
otherwise the GD06 is a good option

The options are:

Silverstone GD01

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- GD01

Silverstone GD03

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- GD03

Zalman HD503

::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::

Zalman HD01

::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::

Silverstone LC13-E

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- LC13-E

I already have the GD01 and I can just duplicate it. I really love the GD03. If I get that, I will move the HTPC to that, and house the Audio-PC on my existing GD01. The LC13-E is also attractive, but I am not sure the Lascala series is there any more.

I am kind of neutral between the Zalmans. They both look good.

Cheers

venkat will order for room later - like he has all components for last few years and is now ordering a house for them :)

I already have a room. Exclusive for me and my AV toys. Vaise, aap ke mooh mein ghee shakkar. If I get another house, then I will build my room from scratch.

Cheers

All those cases (post #10) look great. I guess you can't go wrong with any one of those. I'd get the GD-01 just for the sake of keeping things symmetric. :)

Are you sure you want 6 HDDs in a single PC cabinet and that too in a Music PC? I think it will be quite a challenge to keep it cool enough without being too noisy. Not to mention the noise 6 HDDs will generate by themselves.

Just build two computers - on would be a dump with 6 hard drives which uses tower style cabinet. Build another one with a new small form factor motherboard, a nice media center case like the antec fusion and keep that in your living room.

I see your onkyo SR 875

32430614-2-440-OVR-1.gif

And give to you, the nmedia htpc 2000 cloned from Onkyo receivers!

2000B10.jpg

And give to you, the nmedia htpc 2000 cloned from Onkyo receivers!

I did consider this, but the reviews are not good. Read this review below:

TechReport.com said:
Well, frankly, I'm hesitant to say that you should. nMedia has done a fine job of matching the status quo, and its $109 asking price is certainly more affordable than some. But the case has several problems. Though the the overall construction is solid, less attention seems to have been paid to how all the individual components of a system will come together inside the chassis. The chassis exhaust fans shouldn't be so close to the PSU mount that they interfere with common bottom-mounted fan grills. We'd prefer to see the 2000B equipped to handle PSUs in multiple orientations, too. Additionally, while most people won't need a full-sized graphics card in their home theater PCs, the fact that the 2000B's drive cage conflicts with longer cards is disappointing.

And the price difference between this and the Silverstone is not too much.

may I ask what colour is your avr

Silver. But I not really into color matching and all that. Everything else, for example are black.

reignofchaos said:
Build another one with a new small form factor motherboard, a nice media center case like the antec fusion and keep that in your living room.

Why should I when the PSB 5 Deluxe will last me at least 5 or 6 years? I have a Dual core CPU and that is more than enough for playing music. I don't plan to use the machine for anythings else whatsoever. I plan to buy a few silent fans and some sound proofing material, and I am sure that will be more than enough. The room is air-conditioned, so I don't see heating as too much of an issue.

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back