Looking for Integrated amplifier

Unable to find different models of Norrge amplifiers prices online.
Fir the benifit of Norge seekers, listed are the price quotes i received from them yesterday.
Norge 2060 UBT - Rs 14018/-
Norge 1000 - Rs 13500/-
Norge Ref 2000- Rs 15500/-
Norge 1200 pre power amp - Rs 23500/-
Prices are incl of GST

Yesterday i have auditioned the Taga HTA-500B amplifier in DS audio store chennai. Overall music is clean and smooth. It was driving Taga floor stand (not sure model no , 91 DB sensitivity) at ease.

Only query to me, Whether it can sufficient to run speakers with less sensitive like 86DB.

Any of our FMs owning this Hybrid tube amp. Please post your review/comments on Taga amps /speakers.

Yesterday i have auditioned the Taga HTA-500B amplifier in DS audio store chennai. Overall music is clean and smooth. It was driving Taga floor stand (not sure model no , 91 DB sensitivity) at ease.

Only query to me, Whether it can sufficient to run speakers with less sensitive like 86DB.

Any of our FMs owning this Hybrid tube amp. Please post your review/comments on Taga amps /speakers.
Unlikely to have adequate juice when I look at the specs (25 watts per channel). It would be good to go something with higher wattage than this. There are many FMs who have Norge in Chennai. Why don't you request an FM for an audition request and carry your speakers? SMSL line is another thing that you can consider.

Why you choose tags tube amp?

Getting into Tubes, you would have to go for sensitive speakers. Sensitive speakers are expensive unless you want to go DIY. Check this post by @Ravindra Desai . The Drivers mentioned are very sensitive and would let you venture to the tube territory. You may sell off your speakers, get into DIY and go for tube amplifiers. BTW, the Taga that you auditioned is hydrid and not strictly tube.
If you are averse to DIY, you can go solid state and consider introducing a tube buffer to remove the SS harshness. I have seen a few posts by @yogibear on this topic.

Getting into Tubes, you would have to go for sensitive speakers. Sensitive speakers are expensive unless you want to go DIY. Check this post by @Ravindra Desai . The Drivers mentioned are very sensitive and would let you venture to the tube territory. You may sell off your speakers, get into DIY and go for tube amplifiers. BTW, the Taga that you auditioned is hydrid and not strictly tube.
If you are averse to DIY, you can go solid state and consider introducing a tube buffer to remove the SS harshness. I have seen a few posts by @yogibear on this topic.
What will be the starting price for entry level tube amplifiers. Any specific brands or Websites ?

If possible, Can you share any list of High sensitive BS speakers for entry level budget .

What will be the starting price for entry level tube amplifiers. Any specific brands or Websites ?

If possible, Can you share any list of High sensitive BS speakers for entry level budget .
I am not that well versed with the brands. From whatever little that I have noticed, It is rare to see sensitive speakers in book shelf form. Apart from the DIY Boston Speakers (Philips Hi-Q thread), Ahuja FR thread and FM @Hari Iyer 's OB thread, I have not seen any affordable hi sensitive speakers in affordable range. You may see 91db sensitive speakers as part of HT packages but these generally do not do well in refined bass but are good enough for hybrid tube amps.
The best review that I have read here in the forum is for the @viren bakhshi's stand mounted bookshelves. Please check that thread as well. This would mean that you are looking at a budget around 1 lac (speakers + tube amps + proper cables).

I myself own a Dared DV-6C which is a tube based multi channel amplifier. They do awesome job when listening in a smaller room with less sensitive speakers (My Tannoys sensys DC2 range around 88db sensitivity). However, in a bigger room (18' X 12'), they were not able to provide the head room needed for various transient phases of music/movies. Please do not go for hybrid amps for the sake of tubes. It is important to have adequate amplification power to get the best out of any speakers. If I had sensitive speakers like Virenji's bookshelves or Rethm Bhaavas, I would have had a better experience.

If you are on a tight budget, go for Digital amps (power at great value for money) and introduce a tube buffer as Yogibear suggested. It is easier to hit the satisfaction plateau in SS amplifiers at a budget as compared to the tubes. If you want to travel the tube journey, save up funds and go for a bigger budget to get a proper set up. Please evaluate your finances and choose wisely.

Last edited:
I am not that well versed with the brands. From whatever little that I have noticed, It is rare to see sensitive speakers in book shelf form. Apart from the DIY Boston Speakers (Philips Hi-Q thread), Ahuja FR thread and FM @Hari Iyer 's OB thread, I have not seen any affordable hi sensitive speakers in affordable range. You may see 91db sensitive speakers as part of HT packages but these generally do not do well in refined bass but are good enough for hybrid tube amps.
The best review that I have read here in the forum is for the @viren bakhshi's stand mounted bookshelves. Please check that thread as well. This would mean that you are looking at a budget around 1 lac (speakers + tube amps + proper cables).

I myself own a Dared DV-6C which is a tube based multi channel amplifier. They do awesome job when listening in a smaller room with less sensitive speakers (My Tannoys sensys DC2 range around 88db sensitivity). However, in a bigger room (18' X 12'), they were not able to provide the head room needed for various transient phases of music/movies. Please do not go for hybrid amps for the sake of tubes. It is important to have adequate amplification power to get the best out of any speakers. If I had sensitive speakers like Virenji's bookshelves or Rethm Bhaavas, I would have had a better experience.

If you are on a tight budget, go for Digital amps (power at great value for money) and introduce a tube buffer as Yogibear suggested. It is easier to hit the satisfaction plateau in SS amplifiers at a budget as compared to the tubes. If you want to travel the tube journey, save up funds and go for a bigger budget to get a proper set up. Please evaluate your finances and choose wisely.

Thanks for your suggestion. for my budget, i thought only Hybrid amps are best fit. At the same time, i am thinking of SS amps(Marantz PM5005). Confused.. :)
I will go around more auditions and then decide. Normally reviews are the only source to know the products(Hifi separates). But finally our budget and ears are deciding factor.

Where can I audition a norge in Cochin.? Any users or dealers around here? I am a bit skeptical about the norge sparkle, as I prefer a laid back warm sound.

Nothing wrong. You can go along with a knowledgable person, test the amp in person, age, condition etc.. And then decide.
Then instead of olx go to Ritchie Street itself. every other amp on olx is bought from there and resold on olx.ypu would get more choices there.

What little I have explored so far: (if my understanding is not accurate or flawed, feel free to correct me)

Driving high efficiency drivers with a few watts is a different league of music reproduction. Its actually first 1 watt or rather 1000 milliwatts which matters most, in some cases it tapers down to just 750 milliwatts but with right drivers it plays at ear splitting volume.

Its not just tube amps that sound musical, but well designed low watt Class A amp deliver similar magic. Though it would be interesting and clever approach to DIY a Class A amp and drive it through a tube pre or even a tube buffer.

I try to avoid branded tube amps as they cost a lot but look for amps made around known topology by experienced builders. These are available as DIY kits too. Amps made around popular tubes are safe investment (given a good, well known topology). Amps made around expensive tubes are hard investments as the craziness of rolling tubes becomes an expensive affair. For example, I would prefer a 6B4G tube amp over 2A3. Before upgrading power tubes, the driver stage tube upgrade makes a lot of difference. But I would caution anyone who wishes to venture into tube amp world. Its a crazy affair and addiction. Solid State advocates mock it as a foolish "distortion addiction" . Its actually even harmonics addiction with desire to keep other distortions in check.

A few Chinese amps are really nice and well made and are incredible value for money. With all that heavy, nice chassis, its hard to fathom their low price tag.

True this. Valves have a nicer, truer-to-life presentation of music. Once you hear a well implemented design, its a bottomless pit of upgrades, changing tubes (tube-rolling) and whats-next....kinda thing. Keeping it simple works really well with valves.

I don't have any experience with Chinese amps. A simple established design with a common valve (EL34 /84, 2A3, ECL86, 6L6, 300B) is a good start. The preamp stage too has a lot of choices to start the 'trip'.

Are you savvy with a DIY effort. There are a lot of options.

A 10-20W valve amp will be fine for a speaker with sensitivity around the 90dB range. Whats your music type ?

Are you savvy with a DIY effort. There are a lot of options.

A 10-20W valve amp will be fine for a speaker with sensitivity around the 90dB range. Whats your music type ?
Country,Folk rock, Jazz and not heavy bass related music

Pick up a locally avbl Amp for a start..

Then see how it rolls for you

Otherwise options are endless.....

Country,Folk rock, Jazz and not heavy bass related music

With rock, you'll need a little more grunt going the valve route. I personally like the EL34 and find the 2-3W amps inadequate.

Your mileage could vary, ultimately depending on the speaker sensitivity coupled with the design you choose. Get a demo before putting down the moolah. Good luck.

P.S: jai1611's advise is well worth taking seriously. Valve voltages don't hurt, they kill, you DIE.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back