Looking for power amp 200WRMS x 2

ChetanSouthMumbai

Need a power amp not less than 180WRMS and not over 250WRMS x 2 channels, to drive my B&W 802s. Using an Adcom 5500 200WRMSx2 now, quite happy, but after 5 years just feel like upgrading the amp only.

Listen to pop/rock but also western classical and choral music. Need sweet treble, or at least neutral. Listening room is 70 cubic meters in volume.

Since there are only a few brands with dealers in India, I can buy it during my travels, if anyone cares to recommend an auditioning shortlist.
:)

Thanks !

Do you need a new Power Amp or a used ?
Care to give GamuT a try.
They should be available in India.
look up their web site for details.

What is the CD Player you are using ?
Want to upgrade that ?

Shanti

Why not less than 180watts and not more than 250 watts ?
I feel there is much more amplifiers than watts.
The design factors, current capability, class A, A/B etc…, quality of sound etc.. are some of the factors which may be of more value than just watts.
I have heard amps with just 120 watts which sounds more authoritative and cleaner than some other 250 watters.
Talking about watts you won’t gain much if you upgrade from a 150watter to 250watter.
You will roughly gain about 3db when you upgrade from a 128 watter to a 256 watter as you can see in the table below computed for a 86db speaker.
86db speaker table
86db @ 1 Watt
89db @ 2 watts
92db @ 4 Watts
95db @ 8 Watts
98db @ 16 Watts
101db @ 32 Watts
104db @ 64Watts
107db @ 128 Watts
110db @ 256 Watts
113db @ 612 Watts
I feel you should be looking at some good amplifiers at 150 to 200 watts or even monoblocks as an upgrade.

Some brands that come to mind:
Gamut (expensive)
Plinius
Cyrus
Odyssey audio extreme monoblocks

Last edited:
Need a power amp not less than 180WRMS and not over 250WRMS x 2 channels, to drive my B&W 802s. Using an Adcom 5500 200WRMSx2 now, quite happy, but after 5 years just feel like upgrading the amp only.

Listen to pop/rock but also western classical and choral music. Need sweet treble, or at least neutral. Listening room is 70 cubic meters in volume.

Since there are only a few brands with dealers in India, I can buy it during my travels, if anyone cares to recommend an auditioning shortlist.
:)

Thanks !

You could consider the Cyrus Mono X - monoblocks.
They are powered at 150 watts. Their ratings are conservative.
Also the B&W 802s are pretty sensitive - 90db, 8 ohms.
Their minimum impedance is 3.5 ohms.
The cyrus monoblocks will deliver 250 watts into a 4 ohm load and are capable of driving a 2 ohm load.

Cyrus Audio

Regards
SNV

Hi Chetan,

If u are to drive the 802 and extract the maximum from them i would look at somothing like the Bryston 4Bsst power amp as a minimum. Its rated at 300WPC but exeeds that effortlessly. Also the high damping factor will control ur speakers. I agree that the speakers have a high sensitivity but one thing to keep in mind is that they do drop below 4 ohms and hence can make an amp struggle.
No disrespect to any of the above suggestions but i feel the Bryston / gamut option seems more appropriate.Of course another option is classe or plinius(have not heard it personally) if u like the flavour but the pricing is pretty high.
Regards

Last edited:
With your choice of music i would suggest Krell Kav 2250. The krell k series is very reasonbly priced, has a good balanced sound & control. With the kind of sound as described by you, i guess you must give it a audition.
All the best.

Using a Marantz 6002, dont want to change it, its well matched.

You definitely need a much better cd player else you wouldn't be making the most of your set up.
Your speakers are an absolute overkill for the Marantz cd 6002.

Regards
SNV

You definitely need a much better cd player else you wouldn't be making the most of your set up.
Your speakers are an absolute overkill for the Marantz cd 6002.

Regards
SNV

Thanks for the tip, I might get a blu-ray player in some months, hopefully that will do CDs well. What do you suggest ?

Thanks for the tip, I might get a blu-ray player in some months, hopefully that will do CDs well. What do you suggest ?

Depending on your budget, I would recommend the following options :

The least you should ideally consider is ;

1. CYRUS CDXTSE (Transport) WITH DAC X (Dac)

Cyrus Audio

Cyrus Audio

Something better ;

2. AUDIONET ART G2

audionet.de: Characteristics

There are ofcourse a lot of other options available. You need to partner the 802s with a similar pedigree cd player and amplifier.

Regards
SNV

If you prefer the mosfets sound & like to stick to it.The primare D.32 power amp is also a good bet. I would also suggest that you give the primare cd player cd31 a listen. I feel a stand alone cd player is always better.
All the best.

Hi Chetan,
I have a friend who was using a budget cdp for a while with much better electronics.(Nad c 542/ Classe/ B&W 804) On paper this would be a gross mismatch but in reality we still enjoyed the music. The idea of just spending big bucks on the cdp did not appeal to him. Finally he got a Marantz SA 7001KI from Sgpore and the set up is amazingly better.
Summary is try this cdp for about 50K here in mumbai, ull be pleasantly surprised. Though this cdp would be on paper the weak link in ur chain of components am sure u will be musically satisfied. The primare CD31 is a good player too and am eagerly waiting to hear the first cdp from Bryston.
Best Regards.

*BTW i love ur speakers.

Hi Chetan,
You should consider classe electronics to pair with B&W ( classeaudio.com ) even B&W uses classe electronics for 800 series road shows.

consider it, ya it equally expensive to B&W also Audiovision India is distributor for classe.
-sk

Last edited:
Why not less than 180watts and not more than 250 watts ?
I feel there is much more amplifiers than watts.
The design factors, current capability, class A, A/B etc?, quality of sound etc.. are some of the factors which may be of more value than just watts.
I have heard amps with just 120 watts which sounds more authoritative and cleaner than some other 250 watters.
Talking about watts you won??t gain much if you upgrade from a 150watter to 250watter.
You will roughly gain about 3db when you upgrade from a 128 watter to a 256 watter as you can see in the table below computed for a 86db speaker.
86db speaker table
86db @ 1 Watt
89db @ 2 watts
92db @ 4 Watts
95db @ 8 Watts
98db @ 16 Watts
101db @ 32 Watts
104db @ 64Watts
107db @ 128 Watts
110db @ 256 Watts
113db @ 612 Watts
I feel you should be looking at some good amplifiers at 150 to 200 watts or even monoblocks as an upgrade.

Some brands that come to mind:
Gamut (expensive)
Plinius
Cyrus
Odyssey audio extreme monoblocks

hi Cyrus,
u certainly know ur onions
i am looking for a krell/bryston 3B power amp
would appreciate ur help in this matter
im in colaba bombay
22815998 22845507 res nos
i own a classe and magies 1.5
will soon upgrade to 1.6
thanks
suresh

GamuT is an option !

Hi !

GamuT is an option;

They have a demo room in Mumbai - 2470 4048 @ Parel.

Amplifiers + CD Player + Pre Amplifier + Speakers - all are in stock & on demo.
Hermit Audio.
An option to consider...

Holfi from Denmark - Nexus Audio - Mumbai sells it.

Parasound - Andheri - Anil sells these. Halo Power Amplifiers - option to consider.

Hi Chetan,

If u are to drive the 802 and extract the maximum from them i would look at somothing like the Bryston 4Bsst power amp as a minimum. Its rated at 300WPC but exeeds that effortlessly. Also the high damping factor will control ur speakers. I agree that the speakers have a high sensitivity but one thing to keep in mind is that they do drop below 4 ohms and hence can make an amp struggle.
No disrespect to any of the above suggestions but i feel the Bryston / gamut option seems more appropriate.Of course another option is classe or plinius(have not heard it personally) if u like the flavour but the pricing is pretty high.
Regards

hi dinyar,
i used the classe for over 10 years and was very happy
used them with maggie 1.5 california audio labs player and a sony md player
yes md player
very often i had cds with only 1 or 2 or 3 good tracks, so i recorded tham and dumped them,
if u happen to bump into a high powered amp like krell or bryston 3b then keep me in mind
thanks
suresh

Hi Suresh,
If its a bryston u are after the dealer in bbay is boomerang. The Guys to contact are Vijay or Grattan. Nos. are 26194452/9820949395/9820082910. A 3B or 4B is available easily and the bigger amps u have to place an order and wait.
In case u are opting for used Brystons then there is one available on this forum(check classifieds) and one is available with J. Ramesh in bangalore. His no. is 09844404269. Reliable and honest guy to deal with.
Regards

Hey! Suresh you can also consider a so called PA brand a very unkwown amplifier called MC2. I've recently purchased one & i've found it to be extremly neutral. The distributor for MC2 in India is Absolute Sound, I've given the contacts details in a reply to your post in another thread.
All the best.
Cheers.

Hi Chetan,

Which B&W 802s are you using ? How old ?

If these are the 802 Matrix or the Pre matrix, I would humbly suggest that you change the speakers. They are a dead end on your upgrade path, from what you are using.

I know... I moved on from the 802s.... ( which I think I bought from you ! :) )

Before you change, I STRONGLY suggest that you try a Home audition of the new purchase. The older 802s will not show up any diff from the new equipment. .. Atleast that was My experience, so I reluctantly moved on from them....

PM Me, we can chat, and you are welcome to my Pre + Power Amp for a listen.

PA Amplifiers !!

Hey! Suresh you can also consider a so called PA brand a very unkwown amplifier called MC2. I've recently purchased one & i've found it to be extremly neutral. The distributor for MC2 in India is Absolute Sound, I've given the contacts details in a reply to your post in another thread.
All the best.
Cheers.

This is interesting; :)
I was never knowing if 'Audiophiles' would ever use
PA' Amplifiers ?

If you do tend to 'tilt' on to this side of the fence, then the 'better' options are :-

One of the 'top' options -

Installation Products | Lab.gruppen

The Middle option -

RAM Audio

Lower Down -
MC2 Audio - MC 1250 Introduction

Enjoy !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back