Looking for tube based system on a budget

Yes,I had emailed Mr Viren Bakhshi and he suggested integre 2 with anwharfedale/mordant short or tannoy bookshelf.Can anybody suggest specific models and compatibilities.
Another concern is that after buying will I be satisfied or want to upgrade to a single driver(Has read that this is the way to go) .If that happens Will the amp too need upgrading to 2A3 set?
Thanks guys for the replies.

Hi Siva
I was in similar situation as you. my music interest is very much similar. I finally bought full lyrita 2A3SET harmony#1 system after exploring all the options. no need to say anything about performance. experience of blissful music has no language to write about.

He must be cool intelligent, smart dude I am sure :D

Gobble,
Not everyone is like you.. please dont expect everyone to do DIY effort. I know you have done it. you deserve lot of appreciation of your DIY effort. we are normal human being only with audiophile ears. you have audiophile hands as well :eek:hyeah:

I think even epos bookshelves would be good.
One of our forum members did exactly that and soon figured out that they are a mis-match and had switched over to single drivers.

My take on valve amps and single drivers is like looking at a fabric through a magnifying glass. What is visible through the magnifying glass is the mid-range and the balance fabric is rest of the music spectrum.

The comparison is a bit over exaggerated and the actual effect is less pronounced but was put across in a way for beginners to understand the issue better.

Last edited:
No not the GG pre or GC.

This is my project for next year, a beginners tube amp with low parts and components count, recommended on diyaudio for the first timer

RH 84 - Tube Audio ...... RH DESIGN

You can pair it with an Indian full range driver (philips was it) in a sealed enclosure or start with a simple radio speaker. I think a forum member who is around Goa got tiny readymade local FR speakers cheap and ripped them of for his openbaffle project. But you could use those original speakers and it may satisfy your needs.

For the pre you can try point to point wiring of a aikido preamp if you cant get the pcb

Aikido Cathode Follower PCB

The circuit and design is explained on tubecad. Tube Tidbits & Tube-Based Current-Output Amplifiers I cant find the exact page right now but you can search.

Your friend will need to have some experience with valve radios I guess ...
HTH
Cheers

Edit: It just occurred to me if you are interested in the Aikido pcbs for preamp or power, we could club our orders together, and I can ship via borderlinx or direct ... I wont mind building some of the stuff he has to offer ... for the fun of it ...

Hi, I would like to join you in building an amp myself ...have worked with tube radios in the 80s.

The audio bug has bitten me after a gap of 20 years. Still remember making a lot of radio owners happy by putting 22uf capacitor to an aging EL84s cathode, as a quick fix to get more gain.

Later I learned what -ve feedback is all about during my electronics engineering days.

I still have my multimeter with me...I probably need to get a 60W iron to get those strong cabinet earthing done.

By the way I am also waiting for my Topping amp to arrive from HK..its been about 2 weeks since I ordered it.

Sivasarjun,
to get u back to the original topic of going for a Valve Amp for ur (and m ine too) kind of music, have u taken any decision regarding the same????
am following this thread coz i have same kind of musical preferences and am also looking for an upgrade to a VALVE AMP, PREAMP for my VINYL SOURCE....

sumeet.....

No,Still only exploring.Mainly due to budget problems.Got the Topping for now.Actively looking for matching speaker which can also be used with the yet to be decided tubeamp which I will buy.

Hi Siva
I was in similar situation as you. my music interest is very much similar. I finally bought full lyrita 2A3SET harmony#1 system after exploring all the options. no need to say anything about performance. experience of blissful music has no language to write about.

Thnks for your inputs.Yes it seems that you cant go wrong with this combination.
Any chance of gettingused gear from Lyrita?

One of our forum members did exactly that and soon figured out that they are a mis-match and had switched over to single drivers.

My take on valve amps and single drivers is like looking at a fabric through a magnifying glass. What is visible through the magnifying glass is the mid-range and the balance fabric is rest of the music spectrum.

The comparison is a bit over exaggerated and the actual effect is less pronounced but was put across in a way for beginners to understand the issue better.

search for perfection and purity will drive your selection. you need to be clear what you want, rest will follow.

Hi this pkj123 and my suggestion to you is the Acoustic portrait set up absolutely fab when it comes to sound and great as a budget system.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back