Looking to setup my HT - request advise

ManiJ

Dear Forum members,
It has been extremely value adding to read through the various posts and understand your views on different issues related to home audio. I am starting on my journey to setup a basic HT (primarily intended for movies) and request your kind advise on this.

I must confess that I am not an audiophile. When I recently auditioned at the Onkyo center in Bangalore, I could hear incremental clarity while progressively listening from basic to higher end speakers (basic Onkyo and Pure Acoustics brand to Elac and B&W speakers). However I am not able to put a value to the incremental clarity - and hence would probably go with widely accepted logic and hence my choice of gear.

Currently I am leaning towards getting an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver (34K) and Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 based speaker package (about 87K) ...or a Mission Audio RS6 based package (yet to determine price).

Some questions coming up are:
1) Do you condone this approach
2) I would love to buy from Indian manufacturers instead and am not particular about brand names. Have heard of manufacturers in Bangalore like Corrson/Acoustic Portrait. What do I lose/gain if I take this approach - even considering basic things like magnetic shielding.
3) What is your opinion on Pure Acoustics brand (http://www.pure-acoustics.com/). These are physically large sized Home theater speakers (I think under 'Noble' range - though the guys at the showroom did not know much details about this, with probably 2 way floor standers and curved sub woofers) and come very attractively bundled with basic Onkyo 5.1 receiver at 40K. I realise this has less clarity as compared to higher end speaker names, but am surely tempted at this price.
Please advise.

Well, a similar thought popped into my head, but it was a few months too late for me to redo my choices. But if you are interested in a quality Indian speaker manufacturer, here is one - Lithos Acoustics.

All the best in your quest to setup a new HT. I was in the same boat not too long ago. The only thing I can share is that there is always room for improvement in audio. But differences become apparent only on direct comparison. So, if you are narrow down your budget and then audition only those speakers which come under that budget, you should be good. Until you start comparing your purchase with higher end speakers. And then you get into the cycle of continuous upgrades and the story goes on....

do you mean monitor audio rs6? theyre by far a much better package. i've heard that the new onkyo series is a good amp. denon is good as well - not much to choose between the 2

maniJ said:
I must confess that I am not an audiophile. When I recently auditioned at the Onkyo center in Bangalore, I could hear incremental clarity while progressively listening from basic to higher end speakers (basic Onkyo and Pure Acoustics brand to Elac and B&W speakers). However I am not able to put a value to the incremental clarity - and hence would probably go with widely accepted logic and hence my choice of gear.

Mani, the Elac and B&W are in a different league. They cannot be compared to Pure Acoustics. Though I have nothing against Pure Acoustics, they are trying to sell in a different price band.

maniJ said:
Currently I am leaning towards getting an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver (34K) and Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 based speaker package (about 87K) ...or a Mission Audio RS6 based package (yet to determine price).

The Onkyo/Wharfedale or the Onkyo/Monitor Audio combination are both good choices.

maniJ said:
Some questions coming up are:
1) Do you condone this approach
2) I would love to buy from Indian manufacturers instead and am not particular about brand names. Have heard of manufacturers in Bangalore like Corrson/Acoustic Portrait. What do I lose/gain if I take this approach - even considering basic things like magnetic shielding.
3) What is your opinion on Pure Acoustics brand (Pure Acoustics, Inc.). These are physically large sized Home theater speakers (I think under 'Noble' range - though the guys at the showroom did not know much details about this, with probably 2 way floor standers and curved sub woofers) and come very attractively bundled with basic Onkyo 5.1 receiver at 40K. I realise this has less clarity as compared to higher end speaker names, but am surely tempted at this price.

Indian Speakers

Over the last few months, we have discussed a few Indian manufactured loudspeakers. If you place the Wharfedale/Mission as baseline in terms of price and performance, there are two who come to my kind. One is Lithos Acoustics and the other is Norge. With Lithos, you can make a 5.1 out of their NOA1 speakers and two subwoofers. This will cost you around 40,000.

Regarding Norge, please read the following link

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/332-norge-speakers-amp.html

You can again make a 5.1 system using their bookshelf speakers. You will have to source the sub woofer from someone else.

I have no idea about Corrson, or Acoustic Potrait. Maybe somebody from Banglore who is either using them or has auditioned them could help.

Pure Acoustics

These people are new to the game, at least in India. The Noble series seems to have a good review. They are all 4 ohms speakers and should be easy to drive with the 606. But my concern is the price. As far as I can see, a complete Noble 5.1 should cost you around 100K. Is this right? Or are you looking at some other model? If this is true, I am sure there are better products available in the market.

Cheers

Indian Speakers

Over the last few months, we have discussed a few Indian manufactured loudspeakers. If you place the Wharfedale/Mission as baseline in terms of price and performance, there are two who come to my kind. One is Lithos Acoustics and the other is Norge. With Lithos, you can make a 5.1 out of their NOA1 speakers and two subwoofers. This will cost you around 40,000.

venkat, im not too much into ht but out of curiosity most receivers come 7.1 or 5.1 i.e. 1 sub woofer out. how would you connect the two that lithos recommends

venkat, im not too much into ht but out of curiosity most receivers come 7.1 or 5.1 i.e. 1 sub woofer out. how would you connect the two that lithos recommends

That is very simple. At the AVR end you insert the male of what is called a Y-Connector into the LFE socket.

One the other end, the Y-Connector will have two female RCA connectors. Take two two RCA cables with male connectors on both end. Connect one to one of the females in the Y-Connector and the other end to the sub woofer. Repeat the same process with the other subwoofer. You now have double the base !!! Boooooom Boooooom. :)

Cheers

Thanks much for your advice. I had mailed some of the suggested Indian Manufacturers but did not get any response - and then finally decided to go along on the tried & tested route.
I bought (1) Denon 1909 for my receiver from ProFx and (2) Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 based 5.0 speakers from Mr. Masood of Total Sound. Already have my receiver and should get delivery of the speakers by this weekend. Hope the transport strike announced does not impact this.
Looking forward to get this setup by this weekend.

Last edited:
As for the speaker wiring, Mr. Masood suggested 16G for the front floorstanders and 18G for the rear speakers. I realise that there are couple of other threads suggesting a higher gauge for both, but I believe I should be ok with this.

For connecting the TV to the receiver, I am currently planning to use the Coaxial out from my DVD Player Philips 5986K. I guess the Philips does not have a separate optical out....and also I am told the Coaxial has a lot of advantages and is the way to go.

Mani,

How is your setup doing? I am interested to know how your dealing with Total Sound was? Are you happy with the whole experience with them? Did they install the system at your home? Do share your experience.

Hi illusion,
Looking back, the experience was very good. Mr. Masood does not believe in giving discounts, but he came home and did the whole installation himself along with his assistant. I enjoyed interacting with him....all-in-all was a very pleasant experience.
P.S. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back