Lots of gyan

captrajesh

Staff member
I found this site while browsing and stumbled upon this page which has wealth of knowledge labelled as 'White Papers' on various things in audio. : Sanders Sound Systems - Technical White Papers

Audio Equipment Testing White Paper
Balanced vs. Unbalanced Operation White Paper
Cables White Paper
Digital Recording White Paper
Dispersion White Paper
ESL Amp Bias White Paper
ESL Amp White Paper
ESL Speakers White Paper
Room Acoustics and Treatment White Paper
The Magtech Regulated Power Supply White Paper
Transmission Line White Paper
Tubes vs. Transistors White Paper
UltraStat Panel White Paper

I'm yet to go through all but going through the Tubes vs Transistors thingy and what is written is quite interesting, surprising, informative and eye opening.

Must read which I'll do at leisure.

Last edited:
Just casually read a few lines from

Sanders Sound Systems - Digital Recording White Paper

The extracts:

Sanders Sound Systems said:
"Analog recordings of the day were compromised in many ways. Specifically, the frequency bandwidth of LPs and FM multiplex broadcasts were limited from 30 Hz to 15 KHz. The S/N (Signal to Noise ratio) was limited to around 40 dB. Even the best studio, open-reel tape decks could barely achieve a bandwidth of 20 Hz - 20 KHz with a S/N of 68 dB. By the late 1970's better tape oxide formulations got the S/N up to 72 dB. No analog system could capture the full dynamic range of a symphony orchestra. None had a silent background.

Analog tape decks have loads of flutter caused by imperfect capstan bearings, capstan shafts that weren't round, and tape scrape flutter (where the tape moves in tiny jerks across the tape head). LP's were plagued with "wow" due to eccentricities in the disks caused by the center hole not being perfectly concentric with the record grooves. Both wow and flutter are inaccuracies and variations in the frequency.

LPs had substantially worse performance than open reel tape. So by the time you made a recording on analog tape and then transferred it to a vinyl LP, the accumulated errors were severe. As a result, the LP playback on an audio system was quite different from the original, live performance. A vastly better way to record music was needed. The reason that digital recording was developed was to resolve the serious problems and limitations caused by analog recording. "

I am dying to see the faces of some of our die hard turntable fans. :):)

Cheers

Last edited:
I found this site while browsing and stumbled upon this page which has wealth of knowledge labelled as 'White Papers' on various things in audio. : Sanders Sound Systems - Technical White Papers

... ... ...

I can hear the screams of anger and agony!
So you can see that a spectrum analyzer will tell you an enormous amount about your equipment. It is shockingly better than the human ear.
What! Readers are now, no doubt, impaling themselves :rolleyes:

And all this from a hifi manufacturer/seller? I have regained just a little of my lost faith :eek:hyeah:

It's a pity they make expensive equipment, but hey, we can't have everything, and they are far from the only audio equipment source over which I can afford to do nothing but drool :p :eek:

Nice discovery, possibly in terms of equipment as well as gyan.

PS...
We are so confident in the design and build quality of our products, that we offer a Lifetime Warranty

:D

PPS...
At last I begin to understand Transmission Line speakers. Thank you Mr Sanders (via Rajesh). I'll be reading more :)

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back