Loud Buzzing noise and Plasma screen Broken, 5 mths old

baleno

hi
We purchased panasonic-50 inches plasma, model no.- TH-P50XT50D from Croma - Bannergatta , Bangalore on 24.Sept.12, thinking this is a great brand offers 3 years extended warranty and has a panel life, Up to 100,000 Hours .
On 8.3.13. At 1pm when I switched on the TV I heard a loud buzzing noise and the display was blank- no picture was coming ,
To our horror The display had developed a big crack
post logging a call the company trained tech came in and without looking at the screen proclaimed, PHYSICAL DAMAGE

None of the company trained technicians explained about the buzzing noise that was coming even before the crack on the plasma screen was visible

neither panasonic nor Croma are helping us in replacement,
what can we do to get our rights heard.

Even i suspect this might be a case of thermal expansion.

Was your TV connected to a voltage stabilizer or was it connected directly to the mains? Can you rule out a voltage spike when the TV stopped working?

Did the service technician open the set and inspect for any signs of internal damage? He should check if there are any burnt board or some internal damage due to short circuit or voltage spike which could rule out external physical damage.

Get in touch with your local main office of Panasonic and complain about the tech who visited your place. If they ask you to contact some local service center, then ask for some senior contact person at the service center/department. Get an another technician to inspect your set and make sure he opens and checks the set. When the technician opens the set take some pics of the internal components and keep it for the record and get a copy or in written the comments of the technician or the service center. Keeping a record of pics and response of the company would help you if you decide to go to the consumer court.

If things do not work with your local Panasonic office then contact Panasonic India's Head office. If nothing works then contact Panasonic India's MD - Mr Manish Sharma, he is very knowledgeable about Panasonic TVs as he was earlier in the TV department of Pansonic. You can get in touch with him through twitter @ _Manish_Sharma_ You can also post your complaint to Panasonic India's Twitter and Facebook page.

Cases like these are always tricky, we have also had reports of cases like yours in our forum. I can remember members reporting about cracked screens in Panasonic and Samsung Plasma TVs and the companies refused to cover the damage under warranty.

Found the thread where a forum member posted a case similar to yours - http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...-panasonic-1-2-years-warranty.html#post385040. You can check with that forum member to find out if he got his TV repaired under warranty and he could give you some pointers.

Last edited:
All these multinational companies who make TV are c-h-o-r-s.

My TV also went off one year and one month, went off, now when I switch on TV it turns on, but if anyone sees, they think why have I covered the TV with a white screen and watching it.

Your's at least in-warranty, can go to consumer court and file case.

But mine out of warranty, 36,000 rs gone. :(

Now they are telling if you want you have to change panel, and for that new panel warranty is just 3 months.

What causes thermal expansion in plasma tv's? Poor ventilation around the unit for sure. Though there is absolutely nothing surrounding my Samsung plasma, it runs quite hot and I can feel heat radiating off the screen when I stand right in front of it.

Apparently these happen but are very rare.

For manufacturer it may be 1-in-a-million. Unfortunately for the victim it is 1-out-of-one.

What I don't get is, since this percentage is so small, why he manuafacturers don't replace willingly. These dumbos don't realize the amount of goodwill that would generate?

At the end of the day the customer who bought an expensive device would feel rightfully cheated, and that is a very bad feeling.

Hi baleno

I am sorry to hear about your set. As Nishant suggested, do a continuous followup and if nothing working, escalate it to the higher management. I wish you get your problem solved. If nothing works out, send a notice email to Panasonic that you would be going to consumer court if things are not sorted out within a time frame. Sending such notice emails works.

Very sorry to hear about your plight. All these are very useful suggestions. I hope that your case is resolved to your satisfaction.

Hi baleno,

I am facing the exact same issue with my TV. Could you please contact me at [email protected].

We can discuss this issue.

Thanks!

-Chinmaya

hi
We purchased panasonic-50 inches plasma, model no.- TH-P50XT50D from Croma - Bannergatta , Bangalore on 24.Sept.12, thinking this is a great brand offers 3 years extended warranty and has a panel life, Up to 100,000 Hours .
On 8.3.13. At 1pm when I switched on the TV I heard a loud buzzing noise and the display was blank- no picture was coming ,
post logging a call the company trained tech came in and without looking at the screen proclaimed, PHYSICAL DAMAGE

None of the company trained technicians explained about the buzzing noise that was coming even before the crack on the plasma screen was visible

Dear Sir
Pls find photos of the damage
pls verify at your end how this damage has taken place
this for your clarification
thanks
with regards
vijay

Attachments

• P1030067.jpg
    P1030067.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 211
  • P1030068.jpg
    P1030068.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 210
  • P1030069.jpg
    P1030069.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 212
  • P1030070.jpg
    P1030070.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 210
When the technician opens the set take some pics of the internal components and keep it for the record and get a copy or in written the comments of the technician or the service center. Keeping a record of pics and response of the company would help you if you decide to go to the consumer court.

Really sorry to hear your case. You spend a lakh on a tv and then company comes up with such intolerable explanation and by hook or crook will try to portray you as 'guilty'.

This might not help you directly, but read how to take steps against such activities of companies here.

hi

I can only imagine what it must have taken for you to restrain yourself from inflicting "PHYSICAL DAMAGE" on that 'trained tech". A lesser mortal would have lost it. Please up the ante, write to everyone at Panasonic, post on facebook and threaten that you'll post in every possible forum. Post first and then send an email with the link of your post to both Croma and Panasonic. Send the link to this page.

Dear Sir
Pls find photos of the damage
pls verify at your end how this damage has taken place
this for your clarification
thanks
with regards
vijay

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for posting it on this forum. As I can see you have been following lot of information on the web, you would have realized that this is a known problem in case of Plasma TVs and not a specific one in my case.

There have been large number of cases across the world about people experience the exact same problem. Probably in your situation you cannot acknowledge that in public, but you know that this problem has been seen by a large number of people.

I am still finding out more such cases and trying to understand what causes this breakage. I cannot let my hard earned 60k let go like that.

-Chinmaya

^^ Guys, any update? Did you get any resolution from Panasonic or money down the drain?

to the folks who got this buzz+crack:

can you look at the circuitry right behind the crack? do you see any signs of a burn? because if there is excessive heat buildup behind the panel, it can crack. and if that is what happened, you've got a good case.

Yes, post on their FB page local and global, start spreading the word, they have to take accountability and ownership of this.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back