A Tale of two TV's: Frankmehta needs an LCD and a Plasma.

frankmehta

A huge HOLA to everyone perusing this thread, and a very very warm thank you for the same.
I have posted in the Audio thread before, and I post here now.
I am doing up my new house, and I wish to have 4 televisions. Two of which we already own. All TV's are going to be flat screen panels above 32" hence I am ordering 4 Tata Sky HD boxes after the final interiors are completed in the house.

My dilemma begins here, and this is a tough one. I have been really scourging the grey market (as well as Local Electronic vendors as well as biggies like Chroma, Vijay Sales, EZone etc.) for good deals on 2 televisions

1. a 32" LCD/LED (I don't really care about WHO does my backlighting, CCFL or LED, both are peas of the same pod when it comes to the panel they light up)

2. a 50" Plasma

The LCD/LED can be a 720p ready one, since I don't care much about watching full hd stuff on that one. Considering we have so many models to choose from, let's leave that one aside for now, shall we?

Coming to the 50" plasma. Budget: Less than a LAC.
I am confused :sad: Period.

My hall is 21 feet by 14 feet and the viewing distance will be less than 12 feet.
Media thrown at the TVs will be through Tata Sky HD, PS3 and Xtreamer Sidewinder. (READ: A LOT of High Definition stuff)
Hence I thought a 50" plasma panel will do the most justice.

Here are the options I have shortlisted.
1. My first choice was always going to be a Panasonic 50V20 when it came to buying a plasma. SADLY, Panasonic has gone and screwed up things by selling ALL their 50" plasma TV's in India at insane prices (even when compared to the 42" in the SAME DAMN series!)
I am looking for a V20 now, but from the grey market.
DOES anyone in Mumbai know if there is a grey market for Panasonic plasmas, and how much will a 50inch V20 set me back by, if bought from the grey market.

2. My second option, if the V20 is not fitting within my budget, would be the Panasonic U series 50 incher. I have NO idea about that TV and just in case it IS a good panel, I would want someone to actually point out reviews underlining the pros and cons of the same.

3. My third option is the LG PK550R. I am, in fact a fan of LG's pricing for this model and it has done a fabulous job in bringing the prices of 50" TV's in the league of 'so called' 40" high tech marvels, the self proclaimed 'kings' of the display market, the LED's.

4. My last option would be the Samsung c550, also not seen it ever and not read much about it as well..

Please help me guys. It's a month before I purchase these TVs and I need a LOT of suggestions.
I am very confused.

Last edited:
Well far as i have seen in the grey market in the south,they don't sell plasmas in grey market.hell they don't even sell many lcds,you can only find sony lcds and in some places samsung.
excluding v/vt20 below models all have very significant floating black issues,
below is a graph where the amount of black area on the screen from 5 % to 100% area of the screen in X axis vs the black levels on Y axis.
from a review of U2 series plasma
panasonictcp42u2tunnelc.jpg

those black levels at 5% to 20% are worse then IPS based lcds and definitely worse then the your almost 3 year old sony.
they again suffer in brightness if they display white instead of black.

from G25 series
panasonictcp50g25tunnel.jpg

from VT20
panasonictcp50vt20tunne.jpg

while the VT20 also has issues ,it atleast have really deep blacks to start with.

offcourse the other issue is the rising black issues,which is unclear at this point.

Last edited:
Well far as i have seen in the grey market in the south,they don't sell plasmas in grey market.hell they don't even sell many lcds,you can only find sony lcds and in some places samsung.
below is a graph where the amount of black area on the screen from 5 % to 100% area of the screen in X axis vs the black levels on Y axis.

those black levels at 5% to 20% are worse then IPS based lcds and definitely worse then the your almost 3 year old sony.

from G25 series

from VT20

while the VT20 also has issues ,it atleast have really deep blacks to start with.

offcourse the other issue is the rising black issues,which is unclear at this point.

so - frankmehta does not get his plasma?

If I was you, I'd stay away from LED tv's, unless you want a TV with wifi or something. They're pointlessly expensive (most of them, anyway).

I've always been a fan of LCD TV's. The black level has never bothered. Motion lag isn't an issue for me. Those are the two main points that take people to plasma. Frankly, my advice would be to focus on size more than the type of TV (plasma vs LCD) given the same cost. Chances are, it'll look good anyway.

If it were me choosing - I'd pick LCD over Plasma anyday (if I had models of the same size that cost the same).

Ofc, the most important thing is you going down to the store and seeing what works for you.

If it were me choosing - I'd pick LCD over Plasma anyday (if I had models of the same size that cost the same).
And chances of that happening in the near future are like what...... 1 in 10000?

2. a 50" Plasma

Coming to the 50" plasma. Budget: Less than a LAC.

My hall is 21 feet by 14 feet and the viewing distance will be less than 12 feet.
Media thrown at the TVs will be through Tata Sky HD, PS3 and Xtreamer Sidewinder. (READ: A LOT of High Definition stuff)
Hence I thought a 50" plasma panel will do the most justice.

Here are the options I have shortlisted.
1. My first choice was always going to be a Panasonic 50V20 when it came to buying a plasma. SADLY, Panasonic has gone and screwed up things by selling ALL their 50" plasma TV's in India at insane prices (even when compared to the 42" in the SAME DAMN series!)[/B]
Although I agree with you that Panasonic's pricing of their Plasmas, leaving aside their lowest end models, have historically been obscenely priced in India. This year suprisingly the prices of the V20 are slightly more reasonably priced. In case you are able to up your budget by approx. 12 - 15% you might still be able to buy the 50" V20. For, the official MSRP of the 50" V20 is Rs. 125,900, DP is Rs. 118346 and one should be able to get it for approx. Rs. 112,000 - 115,000 at retail. Which means that it is priced substantially lower than the expected price based on last years 50" V10 prices.
2. My second option, if the V20 is not fitting within my budget, would be the Panasonic U series 50 incher. I have NO idea about that TV and just in case it IS a good panel, I would want someone to actually point out reviews underlining the pros and cons of the same.
Personally I would not recommend buying this model. Even by Panasonic's own specifications, this TV does not have a full 1080 moving picture resolution. I personally think that the Samsung 50 " C6500 at the same or slightly lower price, might actually be a better choice. Please keep in mind, that my opinions on this are entirely based on specifications and what I have read on the internet.
3. My third option is the LG PK550R. I am, in fact a fan of LG's pricing for this model and it has done a fabulous job in bringing the prices of 50" TV's in the league of 'so called' 40" high tech marvels, the self proclaimed 'kings' of the display market, the LED's.
Personally my opinion of LG has always been quite low and it hasn't changed much after my visit to the LG showroom yesterday. First of all I personally just cannot stand the overly reflective, mirror like screens of LG plasmas. Also that whole single glass finish just does not appeal to me, since that ends up making the TVs even more reflective.
4. My last option would be the Samsung c550, also not seen it ever and not read much about it as well.
This is a model I am currently looking to buy as a secondary TV for just regular TV viewing, SD & HD but not for movies, which I watch on my Projector. Based on what I have read so far about the 50" C550 and on the reputation of last years model the B550 and also the price, this seems to be the best value from amongst all 50" TVs.

I suppose if I were buying a TV for my movie watching I ould have probably bought the 50" V20 without a second thought, but for my purposes as outlined above it would be a waste of money and therefore the Samsung 50" C550 is looking quite appealing. Now if only I could find a dealer who has the TV instick so I could get a personal view before I pull the trigger. I have a quote of Rs. 70,000 for the C550 and Rs 112,000 for the 50" V20.

Good to see a teambhpian here :)

Mr. FrankMehta, the dentist who uprades his car audio at the drop of the hat.. :)

Shuuuush! We are all supposed to be Home Audio junkies here :yahoo:

Thanks for the compliment though!

If I was you, I'd stay away from LED tv's, unless you want a TV with wifi or something. They're pointlessly expensive (most of them, anyway).

I've always been a fan of LCD TV's. The black level has never bothered. Motion lag isn't an issue for me. Those are the two main points that take people to plasma. Frankly, my advice would be to focus on size more than the type of TV (plasma vs LCD) given the same cost. Chances are, it'll look good anyway.

Ofc, the most important thing is you going down to the store and seeing what works for you.

I agree, but I went to stores today, and BOY, after looking at a Plasma, an LCD made my eyes cringe!

Although I agree with you that Panasonic's pricing of their Plasmas, leaving aside their lowest end models, have historically been obscenely priced in India. This year suprisingly the prices of the V20 are slightly more reasonably priced. In case you are able to up your budget by approx. 12 - 15% you might still be able to buy the 50" V20. For, the official MSRP of the 50" V20 is Rs. 125,900, DP is Rs. 118346 and one should be able to get it for approx. Rs. 112,000 - 115,000 at retail. Which means that it is priced substantially lower than the expected price based on last years 50" V10 prices.
Personally I would not recommend buying this model. Even by Panasonic's own specifications, this TV does not have a full 1080 moving picture resolution. I personally think that the Samsung 50 " C6500 at the same or slightly lower price, might actually be a better choice. Please keep in mind, that my opinions on this are entirely based on specifications and what I have read on the internet.
Personally my opinion of LG has always been quite low and it hasn't changed much after my visit to the LG showroom yesterday. First of all I personally just cannot stand the overly reflective, mirror like screens of LG plasmas. Also that whole single glass finish just does not appeal to me, since that ends up making the TVs even more reflective.
This is a model I am currently looking to buy as a secondary TV for just regular TV viewing, SD & HD but not for movies, which I watch on my Projector. Based on what I have read so far about the 50" C550 and on the reputation of last years model the B550 and also the price, this seems to be the best value from amongst all 50" TVs.

I suppose if I were buying a TV for my movie watching I ould have probably bought the 50" V20 without a second thought, but for my purposes as outlined above it would be a waste of money and therefore the Samsung 50" C550 is looking quite appealing. Now if only I could find a dealer who has the TV instick so I could get a personal view before I pull the trigger. I have a quote of Rs. 70,000 for the C550 and Rs 112,000 for the 50" V20.

I agree about the U series. I am not opting for it.
About the LG and Samsung, I doubt service is a trouble with Samsung, but more LG plasmas are moving these days due to their price. I am tempted ONLY by the price, and the PQ is also not bad!!

About the MSRP and the DP, I didn't know it started @ 118346!!! That means 105-110k is not too far a possibility! Yayyyy!!:clapping:

There are several LCD's and Plasma's of the same size within the same price range.

Which ones? 50" plasmas start at as low as Rs. 50k, whereas LCDs @ about 40" cost even more.

from G25 series

from VT20

so what does that leave me with? I still don't know what floating blacks means. AND, how is the V20 being hailed as the next Kuro if it has floating blacks, and if the blacks become deeper and deeper to a point where they lack detail?

You will be filed for racially abusing LG if you talk the truth in this forum though I share the same opinion (till 2009 LG plasmas). :D

so what does that leave me with? I still don't know what floating blacks means. AND, how is the V20 being hailed as the next Kuro if it has floating blacks, and if the blacks become deeper and deeper to a point where they lack detail?
Well floating black means variation in black levels which result in variation in contrast depending on the picture displayed,but all plasma also show variation in brightness as well due to ABL .
Kuro afaik doesn't have the rising or floating black issues.
The VT20 in that graph,shows that the black levels wont fall bellow 0.12 cd/m2 approx at any point which is better then all IPS based lcd(except local dimming) and low end VA based lcds.
its blacks levels are close to kuro in FULL ON/OFF method of testing,when blacks occupy close to entire screen.

Last edited:
Well floating black means variation in black levels which mean variation in contrast .
Kuro afaik doesn't have the rising or floating black level.
The VT20 in that graph,shows that the black levels want fall bellow approx 0.12 cd/m2 at any point which is better then all IPS based lcd and some VA based lcds.
its blacks levels are close to kuro in FULL ON/OFF method of testing,when blacks occupy close to entire screen.

yeah sure, adder -

but - should frankmetha buy that plasma - OR NOT?

Few displays that have received great online reviews (experts and users) though not very sure about pricing of each (in random order)
1) Samsung C650 LCD
2) Samsung B8500 LCD
3) Panasonic G20 Plasma
4) Panasonic V20 Plasma
5) LG PK550 Plasma
6) LG SL90 LCD
7) LG LH90 LCD
8) Philips PFL9704 LCD
9) Sony NX703 LCD
10) Sony EX503 LCD

Have asked my dealer to get quotes for few of them.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back