love instead of study..

And also i feel M5 is no good when you are in need of luxury and specially for an elderly person. No doubt its a super car in terms of performance but given a choice between M5 and R8 i would love to have the R8

Hi rikhav,

on a comparative basis, the BMW cars, with their run-flat tyres, offer a less luxurious ride compared to the mercedes benz cars. The BMW cars have a stiffer suspension with better road-holding, and the mercs have a more compliant suspension.

An elderly person, trying to choose between a mercedes S500 and a BMW 7 series, would do well to choose the mercedes, especially if that elderly person has a spine or a neck (medical) problem.

Except that the BMW's are more exclusive now, and therefore, a better option for the elderly who are medically fit.

The Volvos are competent cars that nobody wants, because the hoi-polloi are not aware of them. and let's not forget the Audis

and ,of course, in Mumbai, an ambassador (new model with power steering) would serve the purpose, unless that (chauffeur-driven) elderly person needs to enlarge his/her persona with the best/most expensive car. ( here, a Bentley Arnage would fit the bill)

but to prefer a mazda R8 over a BMW M5- how does that work?

Last edited:
Hi rikhav,

on a comparative basis, the BMW cars, with their run-flat tyres, offer a less luxurious ride compared to the mercedes benz cars. The BMW cars have a stiffer suspension with better road-holding, and the mercs have a more compliant suspension.

An elderly person, trying to choose between a mercedes S500 and a BMW 7 series, would do well to choose the mercedes, especially if that elderly person has a spine or a neck (medical) problem.

Except that the BMW's are more exclusive now, and therefore, a better option for the elderly who are medically fit.

The Volvos are competent cars that nobody wants, because the hoi-polloi are not aware of them. and let's not forget the Audis

and ,of course, in Mumbai, an ambassador (new model with power steering) would serve the purpose, unless that (chauffeur-driven) elderly person needs to enlarge his/her persona with the best/most expensive car.

but to prefer a mazda R8 over a BMW M5- how does that work?
He is talking about the Audi R8 :D

yeah i was talking about the stunning Audi R8
And you are spot on Suri, Mercs have a better suspension when ride quality is concerned and the run flats of BMW's are certainly a problem with our roads
Volvo as a car brand is certainly not well known and its dealer network is just good enough as of now comparing Mercedes and BMW.
About the Amby, well it does have the most comfortable rear seat if you compare it with many new under 15 lacs saloons

Hi Guys,
Rikhav u call them and they bring u one car to TD. They only have the 730 ld for TD though and they bring u a lot of literature on the bigger engine options. Mercedes is closer but we opted for the same as its convenient. Saw the R8 on display and its superb naturally but this car is replacing an E 230 and the enphasis is on bigger, roomier, classier, and of course that X factor that a BM 7 still has. Of course a Benz is always great.
Dont tell me about the Honda logos!!!!!!! Makes my blood boil. Civic looks incomplete( the front for sure) without the big H. I am helpless actually and that feeling is very difficult to digest. Anyway its only a relatively cheap honda logo, imagine what a poor merc,Bm ,Jag owner will feel/and shell out for new logos!

REM no chance to drive a ferrari as yet. Am hopeful:) Porsche yes(manic 911 & the SUV). Actually a very good friend works as the Research head of a popular auto mag and sometimes he gets some super cars to try out. But apart from the envious looks u dont get much thrill on bbay city roads. U crawl at most times and there is no space to push the pedal in these machines!!!
SURI everyone is aware of the Volvo!!! But they are expensive too and lack the X factor. Would u put 80L on a volvo sedan over the other available options???I surely would not!
My thrill of driving i fulfill in Europe on our driving holidays. Actually end up doing more miles there in 1 month, than the remaining 11 months in bbay!!! Cant afford to hire any 'fancy' cars though but a good car on great roads is more enjoyable than a great car on our roads IMO.
Rgds

Last edited:
Hi Dinyaar
I was just comparing the M5 with the R8. I surely understand your uncle would not even think of the car. :p
And i understand why he upgraded from the E class to a BMW 7 series. WHen you are putting so much money you would definitely try something else rather then the same. When your uncle would have bought the Merc i think BMW was not sold officially. Now just see amount of BMW's you see since last year and a half.
The only reason u think BMW is giving run flat tyres is because of different tyre sizes of front and rear.

Hi Guys,
Rikhav u call them and they bring u one car to TD. They only have the 730 ld for TD though and they bring u a lot of literature on the bigger engine options. Mercedes is closer but we opted for the same as its convenient. Saw the R8 on display and its superb naturally but this car is replacing an E 230 and the enphasis is on bigger, roomier, classier, and of course that X factor that a BM 7 still has. Of course a Benz is always great.
Dont tell me about the Honda logos!!!!!!! Makes my blood boil. Civic looks incomplete( the front for sure) without the big H. I am helpless actually and that feeling is very difficult to digest. Anyway its only a relatively cheap honda logo, imagine what a poor merc,Bm ,Jag owner will feel/and shell out for new logos!

REM no chance to drive a ferrari as yet. Am hopeful:) Porsche yes(manic 911 & the SUV). Actually a very good friend works as the Research head of a popular auto mag and sometimes he gets some super cars to try out. But apart from the envious looks u dont get much thrill on bbay city roads. U crawl at most times and there is no space to push the pedal in these machines!!!
SURI everyone is aware of the Volvo!!! But they are expensive too and lack the X factor. Would u put 80L on a volvo sedan over the other available options???I surely would not!
My thrill of driving i fulfill in Europe on our driving holidays. Actually end up doing more miles there in 1 month, than the remaining 11 months in bbay!!! Cant afford to hire any 'fancy' cars though but a good car on great roads is more enjoyable than a great car on our roads IMO.
Rgds

hi dinyaar

my personal opinion -

volvo can go hang

i am a die-hard BMW/Honda man, and i believe that these are the only two companies that should produce cars with internal combustion engines.

i still drive myself, and i believe that a car is only good as it's engines, transmissions and suspension- hang everything else.

bmw and honda make the best engines on this planet.

bmw has an edge - rear wheel drive, and perfect weight distribution (i am saving for my m3 and hope to buy it before i hit 50) but they only sell automatics as of now. the paddle shifts do not allow you to downshift to a lower gear till the correct (determined by the cpu) speed is reached. for example, one cannot downshift from 3rd to 2nd at 120 kmph, have to get down to 110 kmph (IIRC) before the shift is allowed (320i). the civic is worse - have to get to 98 kmph before the shift is allowed.

honda screwed up with the civic and the 3 litre is an automatic (accord)

so I will wait patiently.:indifferent14:

Last edited:
hi thevortex,

i have three dogs and they share the big bed with wife and I.

please tell me about the dogs you have, their names, and about their individual characters. some pictures too:)

regards

Suri, Thevo tell me abt ur dogs wht breeds you got,been having various breeds of dogs at home ever since I can remember.
Then was abroad for sometime now we dont have any at home. absolutely adore them.

Dinyaar since you have driven so many high end cars just wanted to ask whether you got any chance to drive a Porsche or a Ferrari anywhere. Been my dream to drive one if not own one someday :D

Suri/Rem - seeing as it is general chit chat I dont see why not:).

I have had a few dogs over the years. Pomeranians, Doberman, Great Dane and a German Shepherd to be exact. Currently we have two Rajapalayams - a native Tamil Nadu hound breed. Its been a lovely experience all the way. Makes for a lot of interesting anecdotes to be shared with fellow dog lovers.

About names - my female Doberman was named Steffi (I was mad over Steffi those days), the Great Dane which was 38" at the withers was named Zeus and my German Shepherd was named Frisco after the character of the same name in the novel Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. My Rajapalayams are named Agni and Jhansi - all Indian names for all Indian dogs:). They are also trained (to whatever extent they can be called so:)) in Tamil.

You know, the hypocrisy that is prevalent in India never fails to tickle me. Whenever I take my dogs out and ask them to do things in Tamil, I never fail to get curious stares. We Indians, whether or not we are comfortable in conversing in English with fellow human beings, love to train our dogs in that foreign tongue!

Apart from this, I love learning about new dog breeds all the time and try and collect books and photographs on them. Although with the internet, my collection of photographs lies, I dont know where.

For those looking at buying dogs/puppies, I do request them to consider Indian breeds. Many of them are in serious danger of being wiped out as purebreds. In my experience they are not any lesser than any of the big name breeds of the West. Plus they are far more hardier and suited to our climate. Lest this seem like a plug for Indian dogs, German Shepherds are my dream breed and someday I would love to have them in my life again. I am also lucky to have a wife amenable to these and many other of my vices:). From being somebody who did not know anything about dogs, she now loves and takes care of our dogs in expert fashion:).

About the dogs' characters, a separate post is required for them. I am interested to know about you guys' experiences with dogs.

Hi Guys,

Rgds

@Dinyaar

Lucky u Din that you got a frnd like that. I love driving especially in the rain and there is plenty of it in the place where I come from.

The biggest and costliest car/SUV that I have ever been able to drive was my bro's Prado but I donot like SUV's that much.

My love for Ferraris started ever since I started following F1 back in 1994 though Ferrari was not doin well at that time. It also helps that most of the Ferraris spot my favorite color.

I also happen to live pretty close to a Ferrari showroom for a few months that is when I fell in love with the F430 spider :yahoo:

Suri/Rem - seeing as it is general chit chat I dont see why not:).

I have had a few dogs over the years. Pomeranians, Doberman, Great Dane and a German Shepherd to be exact. Currently we have two Rajapalayams - a native Tamil Nadu hound breed. Its been a lovely experience all the way. Makes for a lot of interesting anecdotes to be shared with fellow dog lovers.

About names - my female Doberman was named Steffi (I was mad over Steffi those days), the Great Dane which was 38" at the withers was named Zeus and my German Shepherd was named Frisco after the character of the same name in the novel Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. My Rajapalayams are named Agni and Jhansi - all Indian names for all Indian dogs:). They are also trained (to whatever extent they can be called so:)) in Tamil.

You know, the hypocrisy that is prevalent in India never fails to tickle me. Whenever I take my dogs out and ask them to do things in Tamil, I never fail to get curious stares. We Indians, whether or not we are comfortable in conversing in English with fellow human beings, love to train our dogs in that foreign tongue!

Apart from this, I love learning about new dog breeds all the time and try and collect books and photographs on them. Although with the internet, my collection of photographs lies, I dont know where.

For those looking at buying dogs/puppies, I do request them to consider Indian breeds. Many of them are in serious danger of being wiped out as purebreds. In my experience they are not any lesser than any of the big name breeds of the West. Plus they are far more hardier and suited to our climate. Lest this seem like a plug for Indian dogs, German Shepherds are my dream breed and someday I would love to have them in my life again. I am also lucky to have a wife amenable to these and many other of my vices:). From being somebody who did not know anything about dogs, she now loves and takes care of our dogs in expert fashion:).

About the dogs' characters, a separate post is required for them. I am interested to know about you guys' experiences with dogs.

Thevo,

I had pomeranians,dalmatians,labradors, cocker spaniels and dobermans over the years.
Labradors are my favorites I dont think any dog is as faithful and loving as they are.

Thevo m actually looking out for a new dog and Rajapalayam was certainly one of the breed I was looking at but dint know much about it and dint know where to get it from. Other dogs I was considering where Boxers, Labradors & Bassett Hound.

If you got any info do PM me

For those looking at buying dogs/puppies, I do request them to consider Indian breeds.
On that note I strictly prefer the purebreed ISD (Indian Street Dog). Particularly the redcoat skinned pedigree. I strongly feel foreign breeds of cows and dogs do not deserve a place in my home, but thats a personal philosophy. Except that I cant help finding Dachshunds so infinitely cute. I also love Nellore Ongole Bulls too much. Really admire them, I might own a pair someday -atleast I dream about it.

Cheers

On that note I strictly prefer the purebreed ISD (Indian Street Dog). Particularly the redcoat skinned pedigree. I strongly feel foreign breeds of cows and dogs do not deserve a place in my home, but thats a personal philosophy. Except that I cant help finding Dachshunds so infinitely cute. I also love Nellore Ongole Bulls too much. Really admire them, I might own a pair someday -atleast I dream about it.

Cheers

Dreams of Nellore Bulls :eek:hyeah: Gobble wats happenin with you :p

Yep, Skoda's service and spares have got lot of questions coming up, i did read the posts on Bhp and i was shocked to find the authorized dealers putting fake parts in servicing and the quality of work they are doing.

My personal opinion there are other good cars out there,as far as Skoda is concerned i am doubtful of the after sales service

Last edited:
Yep, Skoda's service and spares have got lot of questions coming up, i did read the posts on Bhp and i was shocked to find the authorized dealers putting fake parts in servicing and the quality of work they are doing.

My personal opinion there are other good cards out there,as far as Skoda is concerned i am doubtful of the after sales service

I just thought it was one dealer in Mumbai and their dealership had been cancelled.

I just thought it was one dealer in Mumbai and their dealership had been cancelled.

The things are scary on the reviews for Skoda for ASS. Im keeping my fingers crossed for my Laura. So far the service has been very good at least for me.

Dancc isnt the service cost high when compared to Honda,Toyota and the likes

Their cars are very good though.

As expected for a car in this price range, the spares are expensive, for the service I have a 3 years all inclusive package (Service, synthetic oils, service consumables etc.) which should do me good. I have had good experience so far for the warranty related repairs, got a tyre changed w/o any issues, fixed the stereo system (Even when my little one had tried to play a coin in the CD player :)).

service costs are high - but when you ride it, you find it awesome.

I agree, the ride is too good and if you stay lucky on the service cost front, it is a huge VFM over others in the league.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back