Low sound from surrounds

naveenroy

Hello av gurus! Need your help.

Finally have upgraded to an AVR - and added in 2 rear surrounds - the Micca MB42. Well, the problem is that the rear surrounds are very low in volume. I am just unable to pinpoint the issue. This is even when I am playing music from my comp - connected to the AVR via a TOSLINK connection or even when watching movies. I have tried using the HDMI cable too - no difference. It is the same when watching Tata Sky HD. Very less volume from rear. Please help. :sad:

If you have calibrated: Check the levels for surrounds in the AVR or check the 'distance' configured in the AVR, for these surrounds.
If you have not calibrated: Still thinking what can be the possibilities :)

Edit: Curious, where did you buy the Mics's from?

IMHO, it's lower than the front speakers. I'd the same question when I'd bought mine. I have the Energy Take 5 classic.

Rear volume isn't always loud. Depends on the movie or music disc.
Try Topgun or something similar. It should have higher levels at the back as the planes zip by ! The first time I set up my home theater the levels were quite low when playing an actual disc.
Now, I can't say ,as I only use my stereo setup. The 5.1/7.1 units have been put away !;)

While most of the sounds are designed for front and center channel, surround sound is implemented only when required. For example an airplane moving from front to back, Clapping in a concert, Rain scenes, blast etc. Still there may be several reasons for low surround sound.

1. Front and surrounds are not timber matching (from different companies)
2. Calibration not done properly
3. Source is extremely compressed or not having that much of surround effects
4. Speakers are not placed properly and weak connection

Possible Solutions:
>You may try some surround heavy movies such as transformers, LOTR, StarWars, Matrix etc.
>You can also check the surround levels in AVR by enabling all channels in stereo mode
> You can manually increase the volume of surrounds for extra oomph, but this is recommended only when you have tried the above options
> Try DTS, Dolby proper multi-channel formats

Little experimentation with settings should give you desired results.

Enjoy....

Thanks for all the replies people!

Please check the polarity of the connection with sorround speakers. It may help you.

Yes, have checked and all fine....

If you have calibrated: Check the levels for surrounds in the AVR or check the 'distance' configured in the AVR, for these surrounds.
If you have not calibrated: Still thinking what can be the possibilities :)

Edit: Curious, where did you buy the Mics's from?

Have configured - both using MACC and otherwise manually. Made a slight difference in manual though.

Rear volume isn't always loud. Depends on the movie or music disc.

sir try playing good music in 6 channel stereo and then see

IMHO, it's lower than the front speakers. I'd the same question when I'd bought mine. I have the Energy Take 5 classic.

Yes, finally I believe it is this. Rear volume is deliberately low. I did switch the floorstanders and the bookshelves and there was no difference. So this is obvious by design.

While most of the sounds are designed for front and center channel, surround sound is implemented only when required. For example an airplane moving from front to back, Clapping in a concert, Rain scenes, blast etc. Still there may be several reasons for low surround sound.

1. Front and surrounds are not timber matching (from different companies)
2. Calibration not done properly
3. Source is extremely compressed or not having that much of surround effects
4. Speakers are not placed properly and weak connection

Possible Solutions:
>You may try some surround heavy movies such as transformers, LOTR, StarWars, Matrix etc.
>You can also check the surround levels in AVR by enabling all channels in stereo mode
> You can manually increase the volume of surrounds for extra oomph, but this is recommended only when you have tried the above options
> Try DTS, Dolby proper multi-channel formats

Little experimentation with settings should give you desired results.

Enjoy....

Yes, thanks for reply. Think it is by design. But there is a difference in stereo and surround sounds - so surely the speakers are working.

And no, I used the best mic - my ears :)

The need for multi channel sound ( it is not stereo- stereo is technically two channels ) is mainly for movies and possibly for music played in concert halls. The surrounds produce reflected sounds to give the 'sound' of the hall. Their volume level will be very low. In movies they give direction to sounds to enhance the effect of the video. Things coming from the back or sides apart from frontal sounds.
However modern music sometimes comes as 5.1 channels. This is not the real use of the original multi channel. Multi channel for audio is akin to 3D in video.
However now people like some music coming from all around you. It's a modern fetish. Nothing to do with reality. It's just another form of artistic expression .

For the gentleman suggesting that one should try out 6 channel sound, it's a question of having been there and done it ...etc..!
I find great pleasure in plain well recorded stereo. Less clutter also and sane levels of sound. I have friends with multi channel systems capable of going very loud and shaking you up. It's all impressive for a while but it's slowly killing your ears irreversibly , especially the smaller children ! Enjoy it while you can !
Haven't you guys seen the posts by musicians who play very loud music. Most have lost part of their hearing and openly admit it. So be careful. Very loud is impressive ....but not good for you !
Have you noticed that plain two channel stereo at low volume can sound amazing. Multi channel sound is invariably played loud to have a significant effect. Use it for the movies. Possibly one of the reasons why many people separate their home theater system from their stereo music system ! However you can do what ever you like ! There are no real rules :)

Protect your ears. You need them to work well for a lifetime ! ;)

Edit: There might be some arguments about if stereo is only 2 channel or can be called stereo with more channels. It really does not matter. Additional channels were incorporated for 'surround' information. Hence the system would be stereo surround. That is two channel stereo WITH additional surround signals. I saw this on wikipedia:
" Dolby Surround (sometimes called Dolby Stereo Surround) and Dolby Digital 5.1 source material and up-convert it to 6.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound."
However this does not affect the enjoyment of sound and so it doesn't matter how you would like to call it ! Cheers .

Last edited:
Just in case my post created any confusion for stereo in multichannel, I would like to clarify that I suggested this just to make sure that volume levels of surrounds are even since OP mentioned that he felt the sound from surrounds was less. Additionally, my yamaha AVR has one option that says '5 channel stereo' (don't know if it is technically correct or not)

I enjoy my music depending upon the source. Stereo in a stereo set up and multichannel (whatever small I have) music through HT. Movies are always in 5.1.

Thanks for all the updates and inputs guys - appreciate it.

Yes, the surrounds have lower volume by design. I managed to increase it a bit so that I don't feel like there is no sound at all. I am satisfied now since I get the "whooshes" and "bangs" from the rear surrounds when playing movies.

And as for music, yes, I listen only in stereo. Only music videos get the surround treatment.

All happy :yahoo:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back