LP interest check - hindustani classical

tek

Hi all

I just wanted to check to see the interest levels for forum members who were interested in purchasing some hindustani classical records, both vocal and instrumental.

To give some background, I am basically helping out an old parsi lady I know who has a good collection of these records that she is looking to dispose of. I told her I would help her get a good price for them (please note i am not making any money from this, just helping her out).

I didn't want to make a for sale thread as I wanted to see the interest first and plus I don't have any photos of the records, though I did go through some of them. Some of the names of artists are as follows:

Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
Bhimsen Joshi
Faiyaz Khan
Pdt. Jasraj
Kesarbai Kerkar

Amjad Ali
Ali Akbar
Ravi Shankar
Vilayat Khan

These are just some names, there are about 80 or so records in total.

There are also about 50 English pop records ranging from Pat Boone, to Ventures etc etc all Indian pressings in good condition. Along with a lot of 45's.

This lady basically wants to get rid of these, but I want to ensure she gets a good price for them as opposed to giving it to a kabaddiwala. If people are itnerested, please PM me and I can try to get more info.

Cheers guys

Tek

Hi tek,
I am genuinely interested. However, only in the records which are in good shape. In Kolkata, we get reasonable quality old records for anything between RS100 to 200. There are a few experts from Kolkata (like mahiruha, pratimbayal, mksharan and vasu/myriad from this forum) who would be able to say more definitively about this. Sometimes we even get records which are completely new (I called these the new old stock, or NOS) at these prices. Since records can break by mishandling, the packaging and shipping also needs to be done properly.

How is one going to ensure all that? It would actually mean a tremendous amount of load on you, or whoever is actually physically helping the lady. I see a practical difficulty.

In addition, some kind of cataloging (including the names of the ragas etc) is required for me to see which ones I want. I do not see how this humongous task can be carried out and who would do it. While you have already shown a tremendous courtesy both to the lady and also to us by bringing this possibility to our notice, it would be unfair on us to ask you to do this tedious work.

Nevertheless, as I said in the beginning, I am genuinely interested.

Regards.

Count me in for most of them, I like. Currently looking for Ustad Bismillah Khan too which is not in above list.

Thanks for the interest. I really want to help her out as much as I can, however, I don't want to lug all the records from her place to mine. What I can do, is maybe go over to her place one of these days with my laptop and make a list of all the recs and their condition, names of artists and ragas, etc., I will only be able to visually grade them since she does not have a player. (or she does have one, but i'm not sure if it works)

If that is acceptable, let me know and I can fix up a time with her. The aim is to try to sell all of the records for her.

Cheers

Tek

@omishra - just confirmed she does have bishmillah khan lp's also. i've fixed a time in the next few days to go and make a comprehensive list.

Thanks !

Hi all

I just wanted to check to see the interest levels for forum members who were interested in purchasing some hindustani classical records, both vocal and instrumental.

To give some background, I am basically helping out an old parsi lady I know who has a good collection of these records that she is looking to dispose of. I told her I would help her get a good price for them (please note i am not making any money from this, just helping her out).

I didn't want to make a for sale thread as I wanted to see the interest first and plus I don't have any photos of the records, though I did go through some of them. Some of the names of artists are as follows:

Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
Bhimsen Joshi
Faiyaz Khan
Pdt. Jasraj
Kesarbai Kerkar

Amjad Ali
Ali Akbar
Ravi Shankar
Vilayat Khan

These are just some names, there are about 80 or so records in total.

There are also about 50 English pop records ranging from Pat Boone, to Ventures etc etc all Indian pressings in good condition. Along with a lot of 45's.

This lady basically wants to get rid of these, but I want to ensure she gets a good price for them as opposed to giving it to a kabaddiwala. If people are itnerested, please PM me and I can try to get more info.

Cheers guys

Tek

Hi,

Please count me in for Indian Classical records, also let me know if she has any player for sale.

Regards,

Sachin

Thanks again for the interest guys.

Just want to make one more point, as these LP's are in Mumbai, I will give preference to people who can come and collect this from Mumbai itself. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to pack and ship these. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi tek,
However, only in the records which are in good shape.

Regards.

heyy asit: ever heard the phrase " parsi owned"? it aint limited to cars only mate. :p
@ sachu:
what player are you interested in?? a vintage garrard with changer and inbuilt amp is up for grabs here at a repair shop. in working condition.
by the way tek... manav malvai was always interested in classical stuffs. though i reckon he s in delhi now. also YGPM.

heyy asit: ever heard the phrase " parsi owned"? it aint limited to cars only mate. :p
@ sachu:
what player are you interested in?? a vintage garrard with changer and inbuilt amp is up for grabs here at a repair shop. in working condition.
by the way tek... manav malvai was always interested in classical stuffs. though i reckon he s in delhi now. also YGPM.

Hi,

I am looking for a vintage player like Garrard /AR/Dual/, etc but without inbuilt amp.

Regards,

Sachin

Hi Buswal

This isn't a for sale thread, this was just to check whether there was any interest, in which case i would post a for sale thread.
Cheers

hi,

I am interested in any sitar lps including vilayat khan. pl. let me know the price.

cheers,

Hi,

I'm extremely interested in most, if not all, of these. I'm in Bombay so can pick these up whenever I need to!:)

Hi all

Thanks for the interest. The lady seems to have selected a buyer to take all of them at once. It's not yet finalized though, and if it doesn't work out I will get back to you all on a first come first served basis.

Thanks again. This lady was extremely joyful about the fact that she will get some good money for these LPs that she would have otherwise discarded!

Cheers

Tek

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back