Luxman C-900u and M900u

I bought the C-900u and M900-u 3 months ago.

I was lucky to get a home demo of the M700-u, following which I placed an order for them M-900u and c-900u combo. The duo sounds fantastic in my setup. If anyone is interesting in listening to these, feel free to get in touch with me.

Here are a couple of pics:
View attachment 34412

View attachment 34413
What are those Racks? Beautiful and neat set up.

Quick impressions on the way home

The system sounds nothing like his name. Realistic! Very dense sound extremely well served on all sorts of music - listened to Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Ahmad Jamal, Maisky-Argerich (buzz off JLS), Art Blakey, Radiohead, Nicholas Jaar, Prokofiev and Rachmaninov. Also finally played around with ifi thingie for noise reduction (one worked, the other at a different location didn’t change - essentially without it sound became flatter) listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop (Ok darn it we do like audio)...

It is not a forgiving sound. An extremely strong sound and not a lit-from-within inner resolution sound - very studio monitor. Out and out enjoyable with super scale. Soundstafe was within loudspeakers but within that all instrument well dileneated. This was after the Luxman was warmed for a few hours - midrange became liquid! A warm beast!

I would happily move in for a while if S gave the keys to his house when on holiday. And will be very happy with this sound for my music too.

The system sounds nothing like his name. Realistic! Very dense sound extremely well served on all sorts of music - listened to Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Ahmad Jamal, Maisky-Argerich (buzz off JLS), Art Blakey, Radiohead, Nicholas Jaar, Prokofiev and Rachmaninov. Also finally played around with ifi thingie for noise reduction (one worked, the other at a different location didn’t change - essentially without it sound became flatter) listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop (Ok darn it we do like audio)...

It is not a forgiving sound. An extremely strong sound and not a lit-from-within inner resolution sound - very studio monitor. Out and out enjoyable with super scale. Soundstafe was within loudspeakers but within that all instrument well dileneated. This was after the Luxman was warmed for a few hours - midrange became liquid! A warm beast!

I would happily move in for a while if S gave the keys to his house when on holiday. And will be very happy with this sound for my music too.

Great... The system is top of the line and am sure it would sound super.. I am interested in knowing what and where was the iFi placed which made a positive difference in sound? And which iFi was it?

It was a pleasure having you over and thanks for penning down your impressions :)

Great... The system is top of the line and am sure it would sound super.. I am interested in knowing what and where was the iFi placed which made a positive difference in sound? And which iFi was it?

@panditji its the ifi AC iPurifier. I recently bought two of these and hooked it up in my setup just for kicks. The first one is connected to the receptacle at the wall and other connected into the distribution box.

The one at the wall improved the sound while the one plugged into the distribution box didn't seem to have an effect.

When I heard a demo of the iPurifier at a hifi store adding these made a significant improvement. At home the improvement seems to be more subtle in comparison.

The second one (from the distribution box) has improved the sound in my house heheheh. I am superb at abusing hospitality. Damn it works.

Sorry just wanted to add about S’ system - the bass is superb. Not bloated. Textured. Simply fab.

Last edited:
Had the opportunity to visit Surrealistix last Saturday with a couple of friends.

Very good sound overall.

Refined, resolving, good balance across the entire frequency spectrum (bass didn't over power despite the PMC MB2 speakers being huge), and tone is spot on.

Plays music and brings out the soul of music.

After a few tracks, I stopped bothering about the hifi things and was simply enjoying favourites from his vast collection of music.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Thanks for having us over.

PS: the day once again reinforced my bias against flac files and Tidal streaming. Neither was a match for locally stored wav files of the same tracks.

I bought the C-900u and M900-u 3 months ago.

I was lucky to get a home demo of the M700-u, following which I placed an order for them M-900u and c-900u combo. The duo sounds fantastic in my setup. If anyone is interesting in listening to these, feel free to get in touch with me.

Here are a couple of pics:
View attachment 34412

View attachment 34413
Sir,
It was a pleasure to visit.
I spent 1/2 a day @ your place.
This is Super.
I like this Pre & Power.
Top electronics.
Makes the British speaker play well.
I loved the tone.
Excellent job.
The D & D's have done a great job - set up so well.
I liked what I heard.
Contrats.
Enjoy in good health...
Regards,
Bhagwan

This is an 'expensive' set up.
22L for the MBII se
11L for the Pre
11L for the Power
3L for the DAC
Cables / Room etc. all is extra.
But, on listening the 'pedigree' & the Hi Fi
qualities do come across...
If the owner is open - lots of Mumbai
chapter people must visit.
It is a great example of what Hi Fi is all about.
Money is spent & yes - result is apparent &
one can get the results if one is persistant.

o.t.
Flac is CRAP
Only Wave
nothing else works.
Streaming from Tidal etc is for pure music search &
one cannot use it for 'serious' listening...

Bhagwan
Mumbai / India

Tremendous setup Surrealistix! Glad to have drawn you out with this discussion!
Do share your listening impressions on here - will be very useful for those on the lookout for top notch separates.

Nikhil, if there are people that have a 22L budget for a Pre & Power - this is a 'super solution'
Sold in Mumbai - Local support from a Super D & D & great sound.
It is a top combination.
If SS design is what one is looking for - this combination is very nice indeed.
Top resolution @ low level too.
Bass weight & slam.
It has all.
That too with restraint - nothing is over the top..
Far better than any Bryston one can pair the PMC with.
Highly recommended - the Luxman from my side.
I do hope that all HFV - Mumbai Chapter people - make it a
point to go & visit with their Wave Files.
Its well worth the trip & the owner is a TOP Host !
I enjoyed my Saturday - completely.
Recommended.
Bhagwan
Mumbai / India

Glowing tributes from some pretty hard core guys.
No small feat by any means - congratulations once again Surrealistix!

The more I read about the top of the line Luxmans the more I am amazed at how this brand has re-positioned itself right back on the top of the game. They probably never left but for sure other brands came in and grabbed the limelight. It's great to see Luxman back in the mix.

Glowing tributes from some pretty hard core guys.
No small feat by any means - congratulations once again Surrealistix!

The more I read about the top of the line Luxmans the more I am amazed at how this brand has re-positioned itself right back on the top of the game. They probably never left but for sure other brands came in and grabbed the limelight. It's great to see Luxman back in the mix.
Sir,
In fact, I personally like the mix.
The PMC MBII & the Luxman top line pre & power compliment each other.
They are a great match.
I would recommend them.
The Pre is a bit steep [actually very expensive] but its a class product - such super
micro dynamics even at low volumes - really not easy to come by.
I wish all people from Mumbai should call & take an appointment & go for a listen.
Will be a nice few hours spent.
Just remember - Pen Drive - Wave Music is needed to listen.

Surrealistix and I had an evening of music listening yesterday with one change in the system - JLS’ USB cable.

And sad to say and truth be told, came back with the strangest case of listener’s fatigue - my legs from all the toe tapping and constant movement. How amazing it sounded!! The warmth was natural and PRAT took off from the last time I heard it.

Kudos to JLS and what a lovely system S.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back