My First Stereo Speaker System

vivek3159

Dear Team,

I had been an avid reader of the hifivision for some time now, but had joined the forum yesterday only. Am planning to get my audiophile journey started and had decided to start with a Active Speaker system and had set my budget as 45-50k. My primary usage is to listen music from Bluetooth and occasionally from my PC. Am not planning to connect the system to my TV as of now.

Started with online audition of the so called party speakers from JBL and Sony from the nearby Croma and Lulu Stores and found to be very unrefined, i don't remember the models since my interest got lost due to their loud apperance itself.

Checked out some soundbars, found them to be more suitable for movie viewing than for listening to music. One of my friend had bought Yamaha YAS 209 and he had only good things to say about it.

Thats when i started to looking at Yamaha as a music brand and their bookshelf speakers, checked out the yamahamusic store and almost bought Yamaha NS333( it's out of stock now). While reading and seeing the reviews only I got to know that these are passive bookshelf speakers and require a receiver or an amplifier to power it.

Went back to the drawing board and started learning on bookshelf speakers as i like their form factor and found out the nitty gritties of Passive Speakers , Active speakers , powered speakers and some basics on Amplifiers and connectivity.

Sorry for the long post , now getting into the heart of the matter.i had short listed the following speakers for my Music listening thru Bluetooth and occasional movie viewing from my PC.

a. Q Acoustics M20 HD ( from hifimart.com)
b. Edifier S2000 mkiii (From Tatacliq.com)
c. Hivi D1090 ( from Amazon.in)

Considering the after sales service and my location which is in Kochi. Can any one suggest which one should I choose. Or should I extend my budget and go for an Amplifiers + Passive Bookshelf combo. Since my source will mainly be Bluetooth or PC is it wise to invest on Amplifier + Passive Speaker combo. I had seen some good deals in olx for a relatively new Amplifier (Marantz) and Q Acoustics 3030i speakers.

Regards,

Vivek

Hi Vivek. Welcome to the forum.
My pick would be Qacoustics M20 HD. There are happy forum members here with this setup. If you can spend more, an amp + bookshelf is the way to go as you can upgrade one by one in the future unlike actives.

Hello vivek, welcome to our forum. All the speakers you have mentioned are good nodoubt. But I would suggest to go along amp speaker route. I am not saying that active speakers are bad but if you want to upgrade in future then amp speakers routes will be your right choice. Audition amp speakers in wherever you can and decide which combo suits you the best. Don't forget to take music files, cds of your choice while going for audition. Get speakers first then buy an amp of your choice. Alternately you may keep your eyes on the classifieds in our forum if you are ok with the preowned stuff. Hope you will have a decent system .
Regards
Bhaskar

Dear Team,

I had been an avid reader of the hifivision for some time now, but had joined the forum yesterday only. Am planning to get my audiophile journey started and had decided to start with a Active Speaker system and had set my budget as 45-50k. My primary usage is to listen music from Bluetooth and occasionally from my PC. Am not planning to connect the system to my TV as of now.

Started with online audition of the so called party speakers from JBL and Sony from the nearby Croma and Lulu Stores and found to be very unrefined, i don't remember the models since my interest got lost due to their loud apperance itself.

Checked out some soundbars, found them to be more suitable for movie viewing than for listening to music. One of my friend had bought Yamaha YAS 209 and he had only good things to say about it.

Thats when i started to looking at Yamaha as a music brand and their bookshelf speakers, checked out the yamahamusic store and almost bought Yamaha NS333( it's out of stock now). While reading and seeing the reviews only I got to know that these are passive bookshelf speakers and require a receiver or an amplifier to power it.

Went back to the drawing board and started learning on bookshelf speakers as i like their form factor and found out the nitty gritties of Passive Speakers , Active speakers , powered speakers and some basics on Amplifiers and connectivity.

Sorry for the long post , now getting into the heart of the matter.i had short listed the following speakers for my Music listening thru Bluetooth and occasional movie viewing from my PC.

Considering the after sales service and my location which is in Kochi. Can any one suggest which one should I choose. Or should I extend my budget and go for an Amplifiers + Passive Bookshelf combo. Since my source will mainly be Bluetooth or PC is it wise to invest on Amplifier + Passive Speaker combo. I had seen some good deals in olx for a relatively new Amplifier (Marantz) and Q Acoustics 3030i speakers.

Regards,
If your source is going to be only BT or PC, you can just close your eyes and go for Q Acoustics M20.

Dear Team,

Regards,

Vivek
Welcome Vivek🙏
We are in the same boat. So I will also be viewing all the expert opinions & suggestions from our FMs.
Happy hunting 👍

Thank You Friends for the warm welcome and suggestions, so M20 HD it's out of the 3 . Will keep an eye on the amplifier stereo package route if it fits my budget.will keep you all posted on my purchase :)

Regards,

Vivek

Sorry for the very very late reply, I bought the m20D from Amazon for around 42k. by that time it went out of stock in hifimart. And the restocked price in hifimart was higher than Amazon.

Now about the sound quality, am not an audiophile per se, just testing my waters on the so called audiophile grade speaker.

My first option was buy a Martanz PM6007 and a Wharfdale 12.2 but then again don't want to invest too much on first speakers.

Coming to Q M20D, it's a decent speaker with good connectivity, BT is a boon and hassle free. Coming from the normal speakers and sound bars, the first experience will be great as you will see a reasonably good instrument seperation and clear vocals. But after a period you will miss the Bass or the so called coloured sound profile of a 2.1 or the normal Bass heavy speakers of good quality.

Better to add a subwoofer on latter stage. All in all am reasonably satisfied with my first purchase.

Regards,

Vivek

Hi Vivek,
Have you added a subwoofer with M20? If not which one you are considering, any checks done on it? I am also planning to get one M20.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back