Lyrita Audio's New Amity Speaker

nice, detailed review, kamalji.

my impressions; virenji excels at addressing the basic need in music lovers, being recreating the emotion, rhythm and musicality intended and blown into numbers, whether by the singers/players, composers, instruments or the hall/studio, without coloration. he seems to aim at this with a lot of passion, commercial consideration set aside. there is no doubt that the inherent expectation that drove development of the Amity, being better low frequencies' definition vis-a-vis the limitations of a single full ranger, has been suitably addressed, with the Eminence nicely handling what perceptibly the Fostex was not doing in the Harmony. however, the fact that the emotion and musicality brought out in the Harmony only got better in the Amity, inspite of the two driver concept and the cross-over coming in, is entirely kudos to Virenji, his vast experience and his choice of driver & design.

i will carry on what Mr. Sanjay Dhawan has suggested.

deep and wide open soundstaging, a given. speaker invisibility, taken for granted.

i had taken across the Sheffield Labs Drum & Track Disc, esp. as it is on XRCD, just for the reason sdhawan suggests.

on the highs, well, IMHO, the Fostex do what a good full ranger would, but understandably no more.

on the vocal presence, i felt the low female and the hi male vocals somehow were a little too pronounced, as if the cross over could not decide whether to get the Fostex to work on this or the Eminence (possibly the reason for the eventual incl. of the tonal balance switch). the feeling of them getting overwhelmed could also be owing to this or the speed of the drivers when complex pieces are to be coherently rendered. would like to go back and check this out once these babies are fully burnt in and tweaked.

the friend I had pulled along for the 1st audition, Saugato, fell in love with the speakers when 'Clarence Gatemouth Brown - You can disagree' came on. with Kalpana Zokarkar and Begum Abida Parveen (in Sufi Gold), he was hooked for good. if we'd had drinks that day I'm certain he'd have expected to meet them in person, such was the sense of presence. being an ex-station head at RedFM, he's had the privilege of listening to the likes of kailash kher and kk in person.

my expectation of Toccata & Fugue being played as it should, at the levels we played it, did it for me, personally.

i must also add, that the 6C33CB SET was able to belt out the listening levels we played at, was stupendous, esp. owing to the speaker sensitivity. @88 or 90 db, one is left yearning for more.

i wish i had met Virenji a coupla' years ago!! :sad:

way to go! and many more!!!

Last edited:
great review kamal. as usual :) now hopefully someone in bangalore buys them and i can then listen to em!

Sure Kamalji, I would love to. I am sorry that I do not have any SS amps to carry. My rig consists of a pre and power tube amps from Mr. Viren alongwith his Harmony One's. I simply fell in love with the setup on the first audition. Sure had to convince my better half for over a couple of months before she relented.

As for the Music I listen to Indian Classical Music consisting of Sitar, Tabla, light bolloywood music spanning from the 50s till date, some amount of POP music from Micheal Jackson, Phil Collins, Billy Joel etc.

Any preferences of members for music. Alas the bulk of my music exists on magnetic tape. I also have around 50 CDs

Rest all when we meet.

Hello friends.

I & some other audiophile members have been listening to this speaker over some extended listening sessions with a wide variety of music, in order to get an impression of this speaker & also to give our inputs to Viren as an aid to tweaking & finalizing the sonic signature- a very interesting & exciting process, I must say...... I leave you with some pics of the Amitys & the system.

Thank you for this detailed review. I feel excited about these. How I wish I was in Delhi.

Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot for your comments, and encouragement.

All speaker designs are compromises - you have to learn to do the best you can with the set of choices you make. As a designer, you can sometimes become blind to your own work; and its important to have feedback from a variety of listeners. Just what this forum has done.

Fine tuning a speaker can take some time, because it has to be done by ear. Once the basic engineering is done, listening to music is the only way to evolve the design. I'm still in that process, though I feel I am very close to the final design.

And we also enter the realm of subjective listening reactions. Each of us responds in our own way to music. So, listen and evaluate.

Regards,
Viren

Hi Viren
Can you explain to us how does the tonal switch work. Does it bring changes to xover properties and hence affects the tone?
I don't have that good knowledge about electronics. I just try to learn from people like you, sreekanth, dinyaar and some useful posts by our members like asit, ali and others

@Ranjeet
Welcome back :)

HOW REMISS OF ME!!,

@ all thread participants -

PLEASE AUDITION THE NEW AMITY LOUDSPEAKERS STANDING UP, AND NOT LOUNGING ON EASY-CHAIRS - if you are not on ear-level with those fostex drivers, you might get a wrong (subjective) impression of the true capabilities of viren's brainchild!

If any of the lucky ones have auditioned these sitting, well, do it again, this time standing up!:)

Hi Kamal,

You seem to have missed my query in post #47.

Can you refer to any other speaker that we may know about that would be close to the Amity in terms of musicality, clarity, resolution, coherence, and a balance of bass, midrange and treble performance?

If you have an answer (I understand it may not be easy), it may help me make some kind of mental picture of the sonic qualities of these speakers. Is there a reference that Viren may have used?

Regards.

i wish i had met Virenji a coupla' years ago!! :sad:

way to go! and many more!!!

I am lucky, I met Viren at the very begining of my journey towards HiFi. After listening Amity this Sunday I have behold my choice of speakers till I listen Amity with different music genre.

In the begining Viren started with Sara Mclachlan's album Rarities, B side 2 track 'Rainbow connection'. The base bit was slightly boomy. The bass driver was massive 12", I was slightly apprehended how such a big driver will behave in not so large room of Viren (16 ft x 12 ft).

But afterwards as the amp gets heated, I didn't find the boominess any more. We played Bikram Ghosh's Rhythmspace track 03 (Zinc). The subtle details of each instruments were distinct with awesome separation. The presentation has huge soundstage. Perhaps the open baffle design of full range driver created the magic. We were speechless. The Tabla through the bass driver were absolutely tight. The musicians were spot on in the room.

Next audition album track was Katie Melua's 'Nine million Bicycles'. The mesmerising voice of Katie was so open and sweet. Somehow the representation reminded me the feelings of listening the same track in Rethm Saadhana at Bangalore (Prithvi's house). Although Rethm Saadhana was more refined. But considering the price difference I would give full marks to Viren. Amity has full range driver with a bass driver like the same in Rethm Saadhana. But there is wide difference in mechanical arrangement and placement of the drivers between Rethm Saadhana and Amity. I am not at all comparing these two, I am just sharing my feelings.

Next number was Anandshankar's track 'Metamorphosis'. The sweet sitar and orchestra was absolutely lively. But I found slight overlaping when lot of instruments were played in very fast speed. I will have to listen a violine choir music album in future to check it further.

We played then a Kitaro XRCD album. To be honest, may be a 2-way speaker + SS amp combo will be able to extract more pleasure from this album. The presentation of Amity was lacking at high frequency level for obvious reason.

Our next track was Dire Strait's 'Sultan of swing'. Somehow, I find Amity slightly calm compared to what I had listened the same track in ProAc speakers.

On my request Viren took out a bengali tagore song album. Amity was absolute gem and Suchitra Mitra's voice was presented marvelously.

We passed good two hours. I had lot of tracks to play but may be for the next time.

Friends,

I would like to add to my earlier humble submissions.

When we have done what we have done to come to the impressions conveyed, we have not mentioned anything on the other variables, viz., the Marantz player, the speaker cables, the interconnects, the power conditioning, room acoustics, etc., though Kamalji has in detail spelt these out.

Pl. read the inputs made when not considering these variables.

So, if the vibration isolation was not adequately done to the Marantz CDP, leading to the muddy mid mix; not been covered (not that this was the case, just an eg.).

The point I am trying to make is, these speakers work as they should and did in regular living/listening rooms, w/o a lot of compliment or incidental treatment.

Apologies for this after thought, but had to be said.

+ 1 to that. You could walk away clearly knowing that if you spend a lakh and a bit, you would end up with the same listening experience as in Viren's house. What you hear is what you will get. I guess that is a very comforting thought.

HOW REMISS OF ME!!,

@ all thread participants -

PLEASE AUDITION THE NEW AMITY LOUDSPEAKERS STANDING UP, AND NOT LOUNGING ON EASY-CHAIRS - if you are not on ear-level with those fostex drivers, you might get a wrong (subjective) impression of the true capabilities of viren's brainchild!

If any of the lucky ones have auditioned these sitting, well, do it again, this time standing up!:)
??????
Sorry,Suri, that one went over my head.....

??????
Sorry,Suri, that one went over my head.....

Hi Kamal, probably a mistake on my part-

It is a thought that for the two (stereo) loudspeakers to create a singular (believable) phantom image of the original audio event, the fostex (full range) drivers should be exactly ear level with the listener, and looking at the pictures of the amity, seems that the listener should be standing to be ear-level with the fostex drivers.

regards.

even if i am mistaken about the height of those amity loudspeakers, would be of great interest to me if you posted your impressions listening to one track in both the positions - sitting and standing at the same location in front of the loudspeakers (moving the chair aside for precise standing location) - mainly, the differences, if any. TIA

Last edited:
well, actually my point of reference was the crompton greaves fan regulator box, which, here, where i live, is above head level (safety issues).

Even so, Kamal, my request stands, and if you remember and have the time.....:)

Last edited:
Hi Kamal, probably a mistake on my part-

It is a thought that for the two (stereo) loudspeakers to create a singular (believable) phantom image of the original audio event, the fostex (full range) drivers should be exactly ear level with the listener, and looking at the pictures of the amity, seems that the listener should be standing to be ear-level with the fostex drivers.

regards.

even if i am mistaken about the height of those amity loudspeakers, would be of great interest to me if you posted your impressions listening to one track in both the positions - sitting and standing at the same location in front of the loudspeakers (moving the chair aside for precise standing location) - mainly, the differences, if any. TIA
Sure, Suri, I'll even even put on some party music & dance in front of them, if, you like! (I ca see you grinning at the mental image,Ashok !).
The pictures don't really give you the correct perspective since they were taken standing up- maybe it would've been better to have snapped them while sitting at the sweet spot.
The centre of the Fostex is at ear height, sitting on a normal chair.
It would be really nice if you could manage a trip to Delhi to hear them first hand- an audition is worth more than a thousand words...

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back