Lyrita Audio's New Amity Speaker

Kamal

Hi guy's, am posting the follg invitation for an audition session of the new speaker on Viren's behalf:

" Lyrita Audio introduces the new Amity speaker - another speaker to complement its range of tube SET amplifiers.

The Amity - a harmonious pairing of a fullrange driver with a bass driver, for reproducing the full dimension of music.

To reinforce the concept of system building, the Amity will play with any of Lyrita's low powered tube amplifiers, from 1.5 watts to 15 watts. With excellent clarity and heft.

Specifications:
Driver full-range 6" Fostex FE167E, in open baffle
Driver bass 12" Eminence BETA-12A-2, in ported cabinet
Response 40 Hz to 18 kHz
Sensitivity 95 dB / 1 watt

To judge its merit, the speaker has to be heard.

So, it's open house at Lyrita Audio, Friday, October 2, from 2:30 pm on.
Some Delhi members have already promised to come. Do join in if you can.

Lyrita Audio, L-458 Sarita Vihar, New Delhi. Tel: 4140 1143

Regards,
Viren "
Do join in if you can-bring your fav music to put this baby thru its paces!
Regards,
Kamal

Last edited:
Hi guy's, am posting the follg invitation for an audition session of the new speaker on Viren's behalf:

" Lyrita Audio introduces the new Amity speaker - another speaker to complement its range of tube SET amplifiers.

The Amity - a harmonious pairing of a fullrange driver with a bass driver, for reproducing the full dimension of music.

To reinforce the concept of system building, the Amity will play with any of Lyrita's low powered tube amplifiers, from 1.5 watts to 15 watts. With excellent clarity and heft.

Specifications:
Driver full-range 6" Fostex FE167E, in open baffle
Driver bass 12" Eminence BETA-12A-2, in ported cabinet
Response 40 Hz to 18 kHz
Sensitivity 95 dB / 1 watt

To judge its merit, the speaker has to be heard.

So, it's open house at Lyrita Audio, Friday, October 2, from 2:30 pm on.
Some Delhi members have already promised to come. Do join in if you can.

Lyrita Audio, L-458 Sarita Vihar, New Delhi. Tel: 4140 1143

Regards,
Viren "
Do join in if you can-bring your fav music to put this baby thru its paces!
Regards,
Kamal

Hey kamal, nice of you(and viren) to extend this invitation to all here. Looking forward to your first impressions and of course pics of the new spkrs.

We had a nice session today-Hifiashok & his friend,Siddharth Trehan & his friend,Rohit (my brother) & self; anm & panditji could not make it.
We listened to a variety of music.
Will be going again a few times along with some more audiophile "ears" for spending more time with these speakers & listening to a wider variety of music over extended listening sessions.
Will post my impressions with pics then.
Delhi audiophiles who'd like to join in may plz PM their mob nos.

excellent.would love to hear more about virens latest.am sure will be very interesting reading coming from u all.sounds very promising indeed.enjoy the auditioning.cheers

sorry about not being able to show up. Lot of urgent/ important tasks have piled up in my life, like review by CEO/ COO, shifting my accommodation, everyone falling sick, surgery of relative.
I hope I will be able to visit Viren some time - it has been months I guess.

Kamal - thanks for calling up and scheduling the meeting. Any first impressions to be shared?

regards

Last edited:
i am happy that open baffle is coming in market. i am using philips 8" full ranger on open baffle and additional 15" locally made bass driver ( on open baffle) to complement it.very good results. i am experimenting with them (with and without tweeters). i am quite happy. Viren must have applied all his scientific knowledge and art in creating the speaker. for me it was sheer luck. :)

I used philips drivers which are quite cheap(Rs 600 a pair). have never heard fostex drivers but with the reputation that they have i am sure that people will love them open baffle.

Re anm's request for first impressions:
I would really prefer to listen much more, with a wide selection of material-e.g, classical-Western & Indian, R&B, Jazz,classic rock,pop, old hindi film songs(my lifelong love)ghazals, thumri's,hip hop etc etc, before I give out any impressions.
I don't think its fair or useful either to the manufacturer or forum members to put out a "review" after just an hour or so of listening.
Some more audiophiles & I shall be doing a lot of listening ,giving our inputs to enable Viren to do some tweaking, if required.
Thereafter we shall discuss & finalise the listening impressions.

No!!!
I never said or implied that!
As a matter of fact, its quite a promising concept.
Its just that I want to give impressions based on adequate inputs.
Pl be patient.....

Hi,

Whoa Just my luck :yahoo:!! but Alas its too late ??????

Am in town and was thinking of dropping into Mr.Viren's place to check his stuff but this is like "What the Doc just ordered":D ! Surely love to drop in sometime if its still ok to do so !!

Hope to check em out soon :licklips: !!

Regards.

Soudsgreat, I'm sure Viren would love to have you over & wld appreciate your inputs.
Just give him a call-41401143 & drop in.
And do post your meeting.

Hi Sri
you should have PMed me if you were in Delhi/ NCR. I have lots of ground to cover on sunday, but maybe we can meet.

regards

PS: I was at Viren's place for a listen this evening. Since I was in a great rush, as I got stuck in traffic and had to reach somewhere, I could not enjoy as much as i would have liked to. These speakers are quite an interesting concept, and I would like to purchase a pair soon.

regards

O dear God,

please make someone post a definite (unbiased) impression of this loudspeaker very very soon.

instead of "very interesting concept".

@anm - hope you and soundsgreat can go over and listen today and post your separate impressions:)

kamalji,

the track i was looking for during the session but that did not come to mind was Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565, a piece of organ music composed by Johann Sebastian Bach (though disputed). see if you can find/do this on the Amitys in your second round. would be a great test, like the church organ music recording virenji plays (and that the Amitys rendered expansively).

do mention the orchestra that plays, if u do get around to it, when u eventually do your much awaited 'Amity' impressions.

(pl. do not use violin renditions like Vanessa Mae's, though musically this is gr8! it has to be pipe organ/church organ)

Last edited:
@Hifiashok-Yes, I do have that piece & I shall surely use it in the subsequent session.
@suri-Can understand your impatience, but, as even Viren has stated in his thread on this speaker, tweaking is in process before one can finally sign off on the cabinet design/driver placement/crossover slope.
Surely you who has such a lot of DIY experience would realise that any new component, most of all speakers, does require a lot of work based on actual listening sessions. Whats the use of posting half cooked,hasty impressions?
Have patience, buddy!
Mod,is there a way of merging this thread into the one on the same subject authored by Viren ?-somehow, I failed to notice Virens' thread before starting this one.

Hi,

Soudsgreat, I'm sure Viren would love to have you over & wld appreciate your inputs.
Just give him a call-41401143 & drop in.
And do post your meeting.

Will surely do,but not sure when on account of some pending work :p!!

I will post the initial experience on this ;)!

Hi Sri
you should have PMed me if you were in Delhi/ NCR. I have lots of ground to cover on sunday, but maybe we can meet

Wanted to do that but was bit pre-occupied with some work so only couldn't ! but would've surely messaged before I leave ! anyways will try to meet !

Regards.

@ Kamal,

please pardon my impatience - yes, it is not easy to finalise construction of a loudspeaker, especially those in uncharted territory.

I am very interested because the last time i heard such an attempt was when i heard the rethms at cochin- here, my impression was that the bass module could not match the speed of the lowthers - there seemed to be a mismatch, but yet it was obvious that those speakers had pedigree.

now, perhaps, viren has got it just right? - because (i know) the fostex drivers are more forgiving than the super-fast lowthers - so, viren's attempt could be a match made in audio heaven?:)

deep respect for viren, but i cannot help being rudely impatient:eek:

could you, at least, post a picture (or a link to it) ?

Yes, these kinds of marriages are not easy-you've got to work hard at it.
But from what I've heard so far, there are good hopes of a successful consummation.
Both the drivers exhibited pretty similar, fast transient response,& are very near to each other in efficiency & hence would present a similar, easy load to the 6C33CB Amp-they'll match up pretty well as a system.
You'll get a pic very shortly-but remember, it wouldnt be the final finish.
It would be very nice if you could find your way to visit Delhi for a personal audition & inputs;its pretty educative & a whole lot of fun to participate in a project like this.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back