MA RX6 vs QUAD 22L2

cmsajith

I am almost finalized my speakers to
- MA RX6
- QUAD 22L2

Yesterday me and periyar went to audition Nandakumar's setup. With Quad pre-power and 22L2, it was an awesome combination. I went w/ my Nak RE-10 and it was driving the L2 very well (not like the pre-power, is having a slight tingling to the very highs compared to the pre-power (not sure, may be because the marantz CD player, Is it so?)).

Is there any place in Bangalore or Chennai or Hyderabad to have an audition of MA RX6? Do any of our forum members had bought it? Please help..

Also please suggest if there are any other options in the same category..

Last edited:
Great to finally come down to the best two. Now, there is someone in our forum who was the first to buy the RX6, can't recollect now.

If you can't find anyone who owns them, you can audition them at AP in Chennai , before taking the plunge. The new RX is quite an improvement in the treble part compared to the RS, bass being the same.

:)

Great to finally come down to the best two. Now, there is someone in our forum who was the first to buy the RX6, can't recollect now.

If you can't find anyone who owns them, you can audition them at AP in Chennai , before taking the plunge. The new RX is quite an improvement in the treble part compared to the RS, bass being the same.

I think they also havent any stock. If they are having, then i am planning to go to chennai for an audition w/ my amp. Since RS is having a slight brightness, I am looking for RX, read lot of good reviews about it. But as per Nandakumar, the mids will be far better in Quads (he had experience w/ RS).

Last edited:
Partnering with wrong equipment, RS, would show hint of brightness, but mine is quite nice in the treble and across the frequency range. It's strange they don't even have a demo pair for customers.

I have not heard the MA RX6 , But have heard the RS 6 , GS 60 and Quad22l2 and finally went on to buy the quad22l2.
I would say the Quads are excellent in all the department. The Hi freq in the MS is very sharp - You will like it for short listening , but for a longer listening you will have ear fatigue.
I also auditioned the GS 60 and Quad22l2 side by side . The MA GS 60 is a very good speaker but was beyond my budget. The quads have a smooth mid, very clear hi freq and well controlled lows. The Quad electronics on the other hand is a major let down. The pre amplifier in particular is very ordinary and the Power amp was also not upto my satisfaction.

Regards

I have not heard the MA RX6 , But have heard the RS 6 , GS 60 and Quad22l2 and finally went on to buy the quad22l2.
I would say the Quads are excellent in all the department. The Hi freq in the MS is very sharp - You will like it for short listening , but for a longer listening you will have ear fatigue.
I also auditioned the GS 60 and Quad22l2 side by side . The MA GS 60 is a very good speaker but was beyond my budget. The quads have a smooth mid, very clear hi freq and well controlled lows. The Quad electronics on the other hand is a major let down. The pre amplifier in particular is very ordinary and the Power amp was also not upto my satisfaction.

Regards

I have heard RS6 is brighter. But their new RX series is a refined one. What they did was - Reduced the HF shrillness by retaining the mids and lows - more punch in lows - the speakers used are coated w/ the same ceramic coating in GS series and reviews says the same performance as GS20 but w/ lesser price.

By the way how much did you pay for Musical Fidelity A 3.2?

Hi tarun,
congrats on your quad 22l2. I was also in the mood to go in for musical fedility a5.5/a5 but the deal what i got for quad 909/99 made me to buy it. I am happy with the combo right know but as you said the pre is little cranky.
I also had a side by side comparison with rs6 at my place and their is no doubt that quads are superior to rs6 in mids. Yes off course the high frequencies were sharper in rs6 with arcam amp but as you said it may not be sweeter for a longer time.

Hi Nanda

Even the RX6 when heard in Audio People did not impress me. The Mids did not have that authority which Quads had. After listening to the Quads for a weeks time, you cant even think of having a RS 6 or RX 6 in your room. Yes the Quad Pre amplifier is a big let down in the electronic side. Even there should be some authority in the Power amplifier. This may be because of shortage of Power ( 140RMS !!)
I heard the Quads with Mark levinson Power and Musical Fidelity A5 Pre amplifier perfect match made in Heaven.

excuse me for being blunt, but most of you guys who own one are totally ignorant to other company. I have used Quad 22l2 and RS8 and must say the only difference i found was bright and warm sound. i am sure who knows what does what will understand and attach teh sentiment to right speakers set up. having said that... if the speaker is bright it does not mean its worst then a warm sounding one. if this would be the case then Dynaudio will not survive as a company. why? simply due to their speakers being the most neutral and weakness or advantage finding ones.

finally it is all down to the matching electronics. if you play MA with MF then its a wonderful match as compare to Cyres with MA. likewise a quad is a good match with something like onkyo or krell as otherwise it would sound like someone with heavy voice try to sing opera and not expressing the right details in music.

i hope it helps.

cheers,

swat

excuse me for being blunt, but most of you guys who own one are totally ignorant to other company. I have used Quad 22l2 and RS8 and must say the only difference i found was bright and warm sound. i am sure who knows what does what will understand and attach teh sentiment to right speakers set up. having said that... if the speaker is bright it does not mean its worst then a warm sounding one. if this would be the case then Dynaudio will not survive as a company. why? simply due to their speakers being the most neutral and weakness or advantage finding ones.

finally it is all down to the matching electronics. if you play MA with MF then its a wonderful match as compare to Cyres with MA. likewise a quad is a good match with something like onkyo or krell as otherwise it would sound like someone with heavy voice try to sing opera and not expressing the right details in music.

i hope it helps.

cheers,

swat

Could you please post which is warm and which is bright and also the pros and cons of the two? Also which amplifier did you paired the speakers with?

If possible could you please post a detailed review about the experience with both?

Hi Nanda

Even the RX6 when heard in Audio People did not impress me. The Mids did not have that authority which Quads had. After listening to the Quads for a weeks time, you cant even think of having a RS 6 or RX 6 in your room. Yes the Quad Pre amplifier is a big let down in the electronic side. Even there should be some authority in the Power amplifier. This may be because of shortage of Power ( 140RMS !!)
I heard the Quads with Mark levinson Power and Musical Fidelity A5 Pre amplifier perfect match made in Heaven.

When did you audition RX6 and where? Do they have any demo pieces there?

The Quads are better with Micro/Macro detailing (ability to portray minute shades in dynamics) which portray what the artist intended better. The tones are more true. Less hardness in the highs. Violins and female vocals are more natural. I found the quads to be more revealing in the highs without being bright.

All these are major pluses in my book hence I find the quads to be a better speaker for music which are un-amplified/unplugged. Classical, Jazz etc... These things and musical taste vary for different people so audition yourself and see.

PS: I have heard and compared only the RS-6. I do not know much about the newer model.

The Quads are better with Micro/Macro detailing (ability to portray minute shades in dynamics) which portray what the artist intended better. The tones are more true. Less hardness in the highs. Violins and female vocals are more natural. I found the quads to be more revealing in the highs without being bright.

All these are major pluses in my book hence I find the quads to be a better speaker for music which are un-amplified/unplugged. Classical, Jazz etc... These things and musical taste vary for different people so audition yourself and see.

PS: I have heard and compared only the RS-6. I do not know much about the newer model.

I am almost decided w/ Quads.

cmsajith, how much do the Quad 22 retail for these days ? someone i know was looking for a good pair of FLrs.

thanks

Sajith

I heard the RX6 in Audio People and the sound was not which i was looking for, Like someone before said the Quads are in a different league and you cant compare the MA with the Quads. Its not the Brightness alone which i did not like in the MA RS6 but even the Voice is very lean and there is no authority in that.The only advantage is that it looks beautiful. You hear the quads and i will challenge you that you will not like the MA after that. just my opinion.

Regards

Hello,
I would like to add my humble opinion in this regard though I feel I am quite a novice to be able to judge and also may be wrong in my choice of vocabulary.
I had an oppurtunity to listen some of my favourite songs(Jagjit Singh and AR Rehman) on Quad 22L2, Dali Ikon6, MA RS6.
I could feel the weight of voice of Jagjit Singh on Quad22L2 and his ghazals were a pleasant listening experience. At the same time, the sharpness, clarity and dynamics of AR Rehman songs were missing on the Quad.
Dali Ikon was very bright, clear and dynamic for AR Rehman songs while the depth,weight of Jagjit Singh's voice was missing.
MA RS6 was somewhere in between the two and in my opinion was the best compromise for my mixed taste of music, some kind of all-rounder.
Then based on reviews that RX has a controlled highs and similar/slightly better bass,mids as compared to RS, I ordered RX6, though not yet delivered.
So, IMHO, the choice depends on your taste of music(and, of course, on several other factors like partnering electronics, etc)
Hope it helps.
BR.

Hello,
I would like to add my humble opinion in this regard though I feel I am quite a novice to be able to judge and also may be wrong in my choice of vocabulary.
I had an oppurtunity to listen some of my favourite songs(Jagjit Singh and AR Rehman) on Quad 22L2, Dali Ikon6, MA RS6.
I could feel the weight of voice of Jagjit Singh on Quad22L2 and his ghazals were a pleasant listening experience. At the same time, the sharpness, clarity and dynamics of AR Rehman songs were missing on the Quad.
Dali Ikon was very bright, clear and dynamic for AR Rehman songs while the depth,weight of Jagjit Singh's voice was missing.
MA RS6 was somewhere in between the two and in my opinion was the best compromise for my mixed taste of music, some kind of all-rounder.
Then based on reviews that RX has a controlled highs and similar/slightly better bass,mids as compared to RS, I ordered RX6, though not yet delivered.
So, IMHO, the choice depends on your taste of music(and, of course, on several other factors like partnering electronics, etc)
Hope it helps.
BR.

Did you hear all these speakers in the same setup/ same room/ same associated equipment ?

Shagun:

Good observation, well done for RX6. I would sincerely request the OP to listen to RX6 before falling for Quad.

What color you chose ?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back