Mac Optimisation for audio

I was not convinced on the price for the Roon lifetime licence. I may change my mind but for now I have gone with the annual subscription as I just don't see any software company staying on top for more than 3-4 years. There will always be some new player / software that can come up and challenge the Roon model.

But that's just my opinion ...

Yes agree with you on that as that's what's been happening since digital audio became popular

It's a hit and miss when thinking long term

Once the first cycle gets over with Roon, we will have to seriously consider the lifetime option when renewing. Because beyond a year, and if we eventually go for the lifetime option, it'll start to hurt.

On topic. I have an MBPr (Early 2013) lying idle and have been considering using it for music. Have tried it out through Oppo's USB input directly to the DAC, but I do not seem to find any difference between this and music directly picked up by Oppo from the NAS using Roon. Of course, I could always add stuff like sotm ultra and usb regen (not sure) and buy special USB cable for computer audio to get that difference I am missing. Since there is no assurance that it will actually improve by adding to the chain, think I'll save up for better speakers and integrated amp.

Last edited:
I think all the interventions currently in vogue for computer music - power supply, dedicated music server, software, upsampling, split usb cables, regenerators, reclockers, etc. are making the ability of the DAC less significant, because the source itself is now so much more refined

I think all the interventions currently in vogue for computer music - power supply, dedicated music server, software, upsampling, split usb cables, regenerators, reclockers, etc. are making the ability of the DAC less significant, because the source itself is now so much more refined

You know I have tried these little things to make sound better like linear power supply, expensive RCA cables, Cat 6a vs Cat 5 ethernet etc and I have seen nil to very little difference in music output quality. The only time a discernible difference I could feel was when I employed the Oppo UDP 205 DAC instead of the CXR200. And then, when the CXR 200 DAC is not employed but amplification is, when I play vinyl, the sound is amazing. I have been talking to sotm people through mail and sound improvement, they admit, in the case of my equipment, will be more when measured rather than mere listening. However, I will try and borrow sotm ultra and put it between my NAS and Oppo to figure my reality.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back