Made In Japan. still Charismatic?

Japan still holds a very high value in high end audio. Sony, Panasonic, Akai, etc may have lost their hold in the consumer audio space but when it comes to midfi and hifi, the Japanese still rule the roost. Cases in point - Luxman, Shindo, Koetsu, TAD, Audio Note Japan, Zanden, Wavac, etc.

The Koreans are on a roll in the consumer electronics space but when it comes to high end audio, I can only think of Allnic and Astell & Kern.

It is the Chinese who are making the biggest strides in audio. Consider Hifiman - their flagship panel headphones and headphone amplifiers are world beaters. Also consider the sheer number of audio companies developing very good solid state and vacuum state gears - Cayin, Doge, Consonance, Jolida, Line Magnetic (the new Shindo?), Jungson, Raysonic, Audio Music, Shanling, Yaqin, etc. They are slowly, but surely, capturing the world's audio markets. Many may sneer at them (just as many sneered at the rather shoddy Japanese electronics in the 60s), but they do so out of ignorance or contempt.

Japan still holds a very high value in high end audio. Sony, Panasonic, Akai, etc may have lost their hold in the consumer audio space but when it comes to midfi and hifi, the Japanese still rule the roost. Cases in point - Luxman, Shindo, Koetsu, TAD, Audio Note Japan, Zanden, Wavac, etc.

The Koreans are on a roll in the consumer electronics space but when it comes to high end audio, I can only think of Allnic and Astell & Kern.

It is the Chinese who are making the biggest strides in audio. Consider Hifiman - their flagship panel headphones and headphone amplifiers are world beaters. Also consider the sheer number of audio companies developing very good solid state and vacuum state gears - Cayin, Doge, Consonance, Jolida, Line Magnetic (the new Shindo?), Jungson, Raysonic, Audio Music, Shanling, Yaqin, etc. They are slowly, but surely, capturing the world's audio markets. Many may sneer at them (just as many sneered at the rather shoddy Japanese electronics in the 60s), but they do so out of ignorance or contempt.

When it comes to high end audio, I completely concur with this post. In addition to the Japanese and Chinese, there are handful of European and American companies who are doing well. In this sense, Japan is still charismatic although others share this charisma as well.

Mainstream consumer electronics is a different story.

"The highest mountains also have the largest base"

As an insider in the manufacturing line, I read this anecdote on a Japanese cable manufacturer site that best describes where Japan is right now. Not only are they so high in quality but their supplier base is also immense and mature. The quality of life and things in general is so high in Japan that most would not be able to comprehend what they have achieved. Right from gourmet coffee, designer jeans, golf equipment, etc they have taken these items and refined them to a quality standard all their own.

Here is an example: Kenji Hosoi of Kenrick Sound, who specialize in refurbishing/manufacturing JBL systems. From the pictures and videos from the youtube channel you will see that Mr James B Lansing himself probably never imagined such exquisite execution of his designs.

krs4343-5-2.jpg

krs4343-5-6.jpg

Combining Jazz, cafe and high end audio here is a video of Jazz Cafe Cortez:

Last edited:
I guess Accuphase and Luxman still made in Japan only.
In Japan I have seen Seiko watch made in China and Japan in same shop, of course made in Japan expensive by about 20%, still many Japanese people prefer made in Japan.

The only Japanese product in my house today is my Pioneer AV receiver and its not Made in Japan. However; if you look at the higher end (Read expensive) AV receivers from Pioneer, Marantz, Onkyo, etc, it is possible for you to find some of them that are labelled "Made in Japan".

The first real Hi Fi that I experienced was my folks full fledged Akai rig. Nothing high end but it still works. Our National fully automatic washing machine my dad picked up, 25 years ago, still works and its still running on the original motor (Not rewound). The Seiko clock at home has not seen a single service in close to 20 years. My Casio keyboard is close to 30 years old. My Sony Walkman, discman and dads old Sony digital short wave radios still work.

There have been some misses though. For all the hype we read on Akai VCP players, they were most unreliable. Panasonic's super drive's were a different league when it came down to reliability and performance.

Am I still charismatic about owning a product with a Made in Japan label? Oh Yeah. That is never going to change.

We all know, in 70s/ 80s or even 90s Made In Japan was considered premium quality, top notch product lines and desirable in A/V world.

Now globalization and cost cuttings have shifted productions to different low cost countries. Is Made in Japan still holds value?

What you think guys?:eek:

depends on what you are looking at as yours a very broad question. For one, high res recordings have always had a very strong following in Japan all through the years when CD, mp3 took over others parts of the world.

Stax and Audio Technica headphones made in japan are also well sought after.

Yes .........Made in Japan still hold a great value when we see lot of junk products made in china.......:)...made in china products are a curse to the industry.....

We all know, in 70s/ 80s or even 90s Made In Japan was considered premium quality, top notch product lines and desirable in A/V world.

Now globalization and cost cuttings have shifted productions to different low cost countries. Is Made in Japan still holds value?

What you think guys?:eek:

Thanks everyone who have expressed their views.
So from the discussion so far, I can assume that MIJ still definitely holds some value in general consensus in terms of hi value / specialized products, although this might not hold true in our everyday gadgets as they are now well accepted made outside.

My intention was to check a general opinion from FMs if a country of origin plays role for the buying decision.

Say, a Technics SL1200GAE with parts from China and assembled in Vietnam won't generate the same feeling in our mind as we get from the MADE IN JAPAN tag.

And that matters IMHO.:eek:hyeah:

Chinese are catching up. We mock chinese for quality. But boy, they are making several incredible audiophile products now.

Audiophiles in the US still loathe items manufactured in China although there is a relatively large no of high-end US audio manufactures who moved their production line to China. The reason behind why US manufacturers are moving their production line to China is the significant increase in quality at a fraction of cost which resonates with what many fellow members think here. Folks like Japanese products mostly on the source side but when it comes to power hungry products like amplifiers or speakers folks in general prefer US brands.
Thanks.

made in japan today is no longer the same as made in japan few decades a go ....quality has definitely come down.....what makes it look better even today is when u compare it with made in china .....which can range from worse to average .

Japanese products no longer have that kind of life (20/30 yrs) without being repaired ...they conk off in 7 to 8 yrs compared to a chinese product which may last 2 to 3 yrs .....probably very high end products like luxman , accuphase may have better quality .....

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back