Magma's Serious Acoustic "bathroom" build

last i heard magma will be moving into a larger office space than previously envisaged so the project is on hold.

mpw

Couple of weeks ago, i build my own room contour EQ which can be used from -6dB till 0dB to step the frequency down from any calculated design frequency. This can help you to tame the frequency to suit your room dimensions. Do let me know if you wish to try after the treatment. This kit will come in between your source and amp.

I am glad you are getting some worthwhile help from Anutone. I contacted their office here in Bangalore several times and nothing came of it. Finally I just gave up. I have heard many good things about Mr Jilla and you are lucky to have him as an independent consultant.
I am currently using products (absorbers and diffusers) from a company called Jocavi. Do have a look at their website. They have a wonderful section on animated displays of sound waves hitting different profiles of products so you can tailor your panels to suit what you are trying to achieve.
I have also not had much luck with broadband efforts, finding that one range of frequencies suffer when I work with another often.
I have had some luck with a product from Stein Music called Harmonizers (although others have not) which also assist in taming the environment and seems to work well in smaller spaces like hotel show venues and such. Unfortunately these are not so cheap but if you are interested I know they can be had for much less than the reviewed prices.
All the best. Challenging room and I hope it works out well.

Hari

that is nice to her

i will definitely try out your product

Staxx
thanks for the inputs

yeah
in fact we realised that a room with no furniture requires diffusers!
so jilla is going to actaully have me make a coffe table to break the qtr wave

Haha Rupinder....if there was a thumbs up button I would have hit it. First post that made me laugh in a while :)

Hi All
sorry I have not bothered to update the thread
The bathroom was put on hold
Then there were delays from the contractor (anyone who has had interior work done knows how frustrating and time consuming these delays are)

Anyway
Quite a lot of work was done
I have not taken pics but here is the plan

As you can see from the pics below
I had 2 adjacent concrete walls
2 other walls needed to be built to mimic concrete

7QYmchZ.jpg

The acoustic wall will be built this way

A trellis needs to be made using pine or aluminum (2 foot by 2 foot squares are good)
The trellis is there to hold the ROCKWOOL and so that the Promatect50 can be screwed onto it

qwt1DTr.jpg

I have made some self explanatory rough sketched of how the walls should be built
Please excuse my sketches- im no artist

6Z5QVxg.jpg

I have used Promatect 50 instead of polyfibre filled magnesia based tiles ( it has been supplied from the Anutone engineer)
polyfibre filled magnesia based tiles would be a cheaper alterantive However these tiles are pretty hard to find
Another alternative is Tuflbloc

THE HEART OF THE ACOUSTICS is the 5 mm TEXAR ( alternative Techsound100 ) sheet
(obtained from NOBLE engineering who is a whiz in acoustic installs and also a dear friend from school)

The inner wall can be made out of BISON if Promatect 50 shoots the costs out of reach
However the OUTER wall should strictly not be BISON

The SINGLE STUD air gap filled with ROCKWOOL (not glasswool) is an important sound control aspect

Finishing can be done this way

nZw4nZC.jpg

This is a clients studio
the finished Product with PU foam as Acoustic material behind it.
You can choose the flex design you want and it will be done with microperforations with the PU foam
Alternately, you can wrap the foam in fabric of your choice also to give a finished look

Wall panel plan
Acoustifoam where needed and adviced
Diffusers if Khushro advices

It is UL 94 PU based Acoustic Foam having NRC of 0.65 for a 25 mm foam and 0.9 for a 50 mm foam . It is class - O fire rated.
In case of Flat PU foam panels , the density is 70 -80 kg/m3 and PU cylinders , it is 26 kg /m3
The frequency of absorption is very good in the range 250 to 5000 Hz. It is not a low frequency absorber

Ceiling plan
Currently plan is to simply use Excel Strand by Anotone

It is UL 94 PU based Acoustic Foam having NRC of 0.65 for a 25 mm foam and 0.9 for a 50 mm foam . It is class - O fire rated.
In case of Flat PU foam panels , the density is 70 -80 kg/m3 and PU cylinders , it is 26 kg /m3
The frequency of absorption is very good in the range 250 to 5000 Hz. It is not a low frequency absorber

^English translation, please;)

For that room size why don't you seriously think of studio monitors? Dynaudio BM5A comes to mind. Or a nice, midsized Genelec?

Speakers with narrow dispersion can have less wall reflections to start with. Couple that with tow-in and it may work well if the listening area is smaller.

Arre
Sirji

I have used only 3 technical abbreviations in that post
NRC is noise reduction
Theoretical 1 NRC is a dead room

Pu is poly urethane

What else???

I'm not buying studio monitors
The plan is to make regular smLl bookshelves work here
With a dcb 1 and an f5 turbo

That's why the effort

Dear Magma,

I suggest that you may want to treat the room sparsely. Studio sound and in room listening are two very different creature. My room was built based on golden ratio with two bricked wall separated with 4 inch gap which was fitted with built in rockwool panels in the wall. The reverb time was 0.28 seconds, same as the BBC studio. That was my biggest regret. The sound was just too dead even though the FR shows a perfect room.

To rectify the over treatment - I spend another one year adding reflector at the right spots. In my friend's case, who was using a Harbeth 40.1 in a small room, the solution was very simple. We just spend about two hour of listening and with three 2 by 4 rookwool panel the room was tuned to almost perfection.

Most of the speakers and recordings take into consideration of room reverberation. They were aimed to be heard in a typical room. Some speakers' designers measure the loudspeaker FR taking into consideration of the floor reinforcement.

You may go wrong with over treatment.

Actaully
im pretty sure
khushroo knows all this

PS
Ambio
thank you for the heads up

yes we do know that we dont want an Unechoic environment

but having two adjacent plywood walls and the other two concrete is problem as well
NOw i cant concrerize those two walls since its a loft
So i needed a solution be best mimic it

Plus i needed a bit of soundproofing since the loft is above my Factory ( the air gap is actually for that)

Texar and Promatect seemed to be the best options to mimic the wall

And yes i assume we wont go overboard on wall panelings etc
currently only the walls are being prepared

please do keep your inputs flowing

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back