Magma's Serious Acoustic "bathroom" build

He still has to treat the room...

Speakers with narrow dispersion can have less wall reflections to start with. Couple that with tow-in and it may work well if the listening area is smaller.

Yes, I know what you mean. My desk listening position only works at all as my head forms a very small triangle with the speakers. Move to the rest of the room and the sound is horrible. I think my listening alcove is too small even to be rescued by treatment: I should love to have the opportunity to do what Magma is doing.

Magma and his helpers are pretty sure of what they are doing and why, but for general purposes, the best rationale of room treatment I have read is a post from Gearslutz: I have gotten a lot of questions regarding DSP compensation vs acoustical treatment. Heres my take on it! It is written from the recording engineer's standpoint, but still relvant.

Magma, sorry if you find that irrelevant to the thread. Hope people may find something interesting and useful there, if if it is only drooling over the guy's amazing control room :p

Actually another way of doing room correction is doing no acoustic treatment/correction at all

Except for having proper walls

All the correction is digital
There are many guys who supposedly do this
but i know
Clayton Shaw's (SPATIAL COMPUTER and ex EMERALD PHYSICS ) Mac based correction is bloody amazing
I have worked with this guy
and hes good

Clayton Shaw's (SPATIAL COMPUTER and ex EMERALD PHYSICS ) Mac based correction is bloody amazing
I have worked with this guy
and hes good

+1 to that. The Spatial Computer is amazing. The only caveat is you need to use Mac-based playout because that is what is manipulated.

white textred wall paint

OaOaQg0.jpg

FOBuPTc.jpg

99KvXr1.jpg

SjfMV7K.jpg

still some acoustics left

a ceiling cloud
a rear absorber
a frontal lean fractal diffuser

Whenever in the past when I used Real Traps, they seemed to work better placed at 45 degrees at intersection of walls. Maybe you could try that. It allows for higher absorption

Compared to flat bass trap panels, the cylindrical ones are also very nice where one half absorbs and the other half does not. Allows you to rotate them to get the desired balance between absorption and reflection. Maybe you might want to try them at some time

Whenever in the past when I used Real Traps, they seemed to work better placed at 45 degrees at intersection of walls. Maybe you could try that. It allows for higher absorption

hi prem
thank you so much for your inputs - very much appreciated

the traps are infact upto ( upto the top edge ) the ceiling
A beam protrudes out so i can carry the trap forward and back up again

as for why they arent floor touch ?
well simply because i wanted the floor space

about the traps
P.S : the bass traps are true traps with 3 sperate materials , an air cavity and a diaphram - they are 6 inches thick and not light
they take up too much space when mounted at angles

though you should note that
they were initially at 45 degrees
they seem to work almost the same when kept flat

i found marginal to no differnce in angle mounting

further more " tim perry " of Arquen was not really anal about that part ( He was the one whose inputs and emails i used )
The 45 degree tilt works better only if your speaker toe in is a bit more

the cylindrcal traps are wonderful
by GIK
however they just take up too much space
and cost more to import ( than the cost of themselves !!)
Also since this is a demo room for my customers as well , i had to show/display them solutions that take up less space and are easy to install and plus look good in studios,pro audio rooms and homes

the GIK cylinders are close to 2 feet in diameter
Very few studios and homes in india ( where most of my clients are ) allow that kind of usage of ground space

yep i maybe going up the ladder a bit

change of speaker , amplification and source

only my conditioner,distribution centre and maybe a couple cables will stay

all my current equipment is quite good
especially the F5 turbo, the speakers and my dac
all of which have have resisted multiple attempts to upgrade them

since they have bettered (or not justified the price increment ) many a potential contender i have brought home over the last couple years
_

and hence they have always remained

however
i will be treading a differnt path going down a "differnt road" and hence change of gear may be needed

Back to minimalist

After going full circle
Back to minimalism

Bluesound
Gustard a26 2 box ( test version )
FNL pre
Sfa 60 class a 60 w power amp

Personally my favorite sound yet in my mini room

Attachments

• 1694431841509_copy_1160x868.jpg
    1694431841509_copy_1160x868.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 64