Magnepan 1.7i - Wish we had something like this in India

panditji

Magnepan is offering to send it's 1.7i speakers for a home demo at it's own cost and is even offering to pay $100 if the customer does not like it and wants to return it back...And it's no April Fool's joke..Check out the below link:

Magnepan

That is the kind of confidence in their speakers and pricing which will make them big...Manufacturers and dealers need to learn from this if they want to grow their market...

Wish I could avail this offer..

You see, there is something known as 'intent', which is generally put to the sword in this land. Even if some dealers take such novel initiatives, it would end up getting slaughtered in no time. Any idea which nationality makes the maximum use of the 'return policy' in the US? Shameful!

This is a 'super' Speaker.
I find it to be the highest VFM Product in the Audio World - Currently.
This is an excellent policy - would be good to see it happen in India.
Forget that - first the speaker should be on demo @ D & D's place so we can listen to it & then decide....

You are right Mazher..the Indian dealers don't even have stuff on demo and want to get products on order only...makes me wonder why we should pay for dealer margins when we have to order based on the information on the internet and hifi forums...

I think manufacturers should resort to direct selling over the internet and access a much larger consumer base by passing on the benefit of lower prices while keeping their margins the same...Even if they don't offer return facilities, it will still lead to a huge jump in sales...The prices can be brought down by almost 40% with the manufacturers still making the same margins and the consumer is happy to pay almost 40% less for a product which they could not demo in any case..

But kudos to Magnepan for their confidence and pro active sales...

@ghatgepatil, you are right sir but that problem will be temporary..Look at the online shopping sales today, the percentage of returns are much lower than say 2 years ago..the consumers will mature over time when they realise it's a waste of time and effort on returning something which they had no intention to buy in the first place...

Last edited by a moderator:
This shows the Maturity of the people and confidence of the Company.

But we cant Just compare the situation with India, Since US Market is very vast compared to India. India Still the Audio\Video Market for Branded(Reputed One's) are still in growing phase.

Down the Lane we could Maximum expect , Atleast all latest Models available for Demo in Showooms and chance for Home demo.

Post to which we could expect 30 days return Policy, But We are not yet cultured to use it properly. Sorry for being Harsh,I Do have see few people who use Mobile for a month and return it to the company-using return Policy.

So its the question to the Dealers, Who is ready to take a RISK.

This 'try it at home' is another way of trying to get directly to the buyer. Those who have been to the US will realise that most people who would buy such a speaker ( about US$3000/- + ) would be living in the suburbs. The US is HUGE and spread out . You really need to go there and see the place to understand the logistic issues involved.
Most people there are 'terribly' short of time for doing anything other than their work and attend to family issues. So driving a few hours to a dealer's store isn't exactly a great idea. So they offer to deliver it home for you to try. But usually people who buy such things are responsible and will 'handle the unit carefully' and return it if they decide not to buy. Usually only those who really 'intend' to buy will take up this offer.

India isn't suited for such an offer even if you are a perfect person. Have you seen some of the people around you ? Would you trust them with anything worth $3000/- ? Corruption and that mentality isn't just in the Government it's 'everywhere'. It's a fact and we need to face it and accept it before we can conquer it. It will take time ! I'll be gone by then ! :D
The younger generation can clean it up ! I'm all chewed up by the 'corrupt system' . No energy left to do anything significant. I fought the system and almost lost ! At least they are now admitting the rot exists ! So there is hope for the younger generation ! ;)

Hi Rahul,
Magnepan have been offering a 60 day trial on their lower priced MMGs for a long time now. Its worked very well for them as most of the first time customers, once they get to know what planar sound is all about, get hooked and eventually move on to their premium models, which, by any standards are a steal by themselves.

As a long time user of their 1.6s, I can confidently say that I have yet to hear any other type of speaker that does vocals and strings so well.

Cheers!

i just love the sound maggie's produce. heard the best version at Mr. Lalwani's residence (with canasya running it)...divine.

Magnepan is offering to send it's 1.7i speakers for a home demo at it's own cost and is even offering to pay $100 if the customer does not like it and wants to return it back...And it's no April Fool's joke..Check out the below link:

Magnepan

That is the kind of confidence in their speakers and pricing which will make them big...Manufacturers and dealers need to learn from this if they want to grow their market...

Wish I could avail this offer..

Friends I beg your pardon...

It will take another 100 years for any manufacture here in this country to make such offer.Mostly due to the difference between CONSUMERS types (Pl dont compare with most of the FM out here with others ) YES Its sound harsh but its true.Hope it will change one day.Till then we shouldn't expect such things here in this country.

We live in a lovely country,but in some areas ....long way to go

Last edited:
Never ever in my lifetime would i ever see such a scheme get floated up here. People in general here in India are 2 faced i.e. saying something and doing something else, trying to cut corners and hoodwinking other folks all the time. (sorry but this is the prevailing observation)

The dealer margins are outrageous here for the flimsy technical knowledge and sub-standard service and support.

Any speaker sets you buy, a dealer would have 50% higher price than US and sometimes even 100-200%. The days of the consumer being ripped off with so much info being available on the net, are over.

Also, the dealers here do not provide a proper written price quotation even after promising it. Some of the offending dealers (sorry i have to name them) are Vector systems, HTStore, Profx, Onkyo, Final Touch. They only give an approximate quote over the phone. They are worried that they can be comparision shopped, which any consumer would do anyway, and which they themselves would do for any purchases.

I am sorry, a customer does not always go for the lowest price for such expensive products, (not if you are buying a pressure cooker or a mixie). If the customer does not feel connected with the dealer and gets an inkling of poor service afterwards, he/she will walk away even if the quoted price is lower than the rest of the competition.

What everyone fails to notice here is that even in the US, Magnepan charges the customer the full amount before it is sent for home demo and if the customer does not like it, the speakers are sent back and after inspection, the money is refunded to the customer...

Why can't the same work here in India as well? If I have to play pranks on a dealer, then I will think twice before sending a lakh or two just for fun only for it to return after 10-15 days..Also Magnepan will check if the room is suitable for the speakers (since they need space around them) and then send it if they are satisfied the speakers will work well...

The same can also be easily done in India very easily..Only some seriousness and investment for the dealer is required as we have a huge market for even audio provided the products are made known to people...BTW investment and seriousness is required for all businesses not just audio and yes business is tough but with the correct intent, the dealers can also make a lot of money...

There are some dealers who are great but they form a minuscule percentage...

Last edited by a moderator:
Without trying to disrespect anyone here .

Most of us dont understand the dynamics of the Audio Industry. Lets looks at a dealers perspective here in India

1. Unlike the US / EU / Middle East / APAC the Hi end audio industry in India is close to non existent at least in terms of numbers of units sold. Considering we are a Billion people strong. , True Hifi equipment is restricted to probably less than 1 % of the population. Lets face facts in a country like India present day and age or even 5 years hence it will still be restricted to 1% or lower. Ask any average Indian and Hifi takes a back seat. Even if the products are easily available and at the same price they are available in the US.
Tell a average Joe that a decent midfi pair of speakers + Amp + Source + Cables is going to cost to the tune for 80k - 100k minimum .. and even if he has a 100k salary per month he would find it way to expensive and not worth it . He would find it more cost effective to buy a Samsung , LG setup for 1/4th the cost

In a country like India we have to think about post retirement, Kids education, Savings , Medical needs, Kids education , their marriage etc etc. Priorities are different and Hifi takes a back seat as its not a necessity but a luxury

. So in terms of turnover what dealers are going to see is really low. Since they have to run a business and have overheads such as infrastructure / employees, investment in hifi gear,taxes etc .
They have to find a way to make ends meet and break even and if possible make a profit .. After all it is a business...

2. The dollar against the Rupee is highly unstable . Dealers approximately loose around 3% in wiring and conversion fees from INR to USD Add the 30%+ customs plus kickbacks to corrupt custom officials so as to get the goods released fast Plus provide a warrany and replace if equipment is faulty etc

3. Shipping charges are by no means cheap. I recently shipped a Pair of speakers from the US by sea with a total weight of 180 kilos for the pair and it costed me almost 100k

Yes Dealers overcharging to some extent . Are they serious about the business ... Yes they are IMO or else they would have ventured into dealing with Hifi . .

But look at the picture on a whole..

Are they justified in selling Hifi gear at inflated prices .. YES and NO > it depends how you look at it

PS :: I am in no way affiliated to any dealer nor am I a part of the Audio Industry in any way except as a End Consumer.

@ghatgepatil, you are right sir but that problem will be temporary..Look at the online shopping sales today, the percentage of returns are much lower than say 2 years ago..the consumers will mature over time when they realise it's a waste of time and effort on returning something which they had no intention to buy in the first place...

What you say is right , but in India the Industry "helps" them to mature quickly.
How ? Returns are riddled with a lot of effort and complexity, which will ensure the person will think 10 times before deciding to return any item next time.

First you have to re-pack it , courier it. Then hope it reaches the destination in one piece. After that the follow up calls with the company. Not less that 5-8 calls. Once they acknowledge this , then each of them have their own sweet time of 3-5 weeks to refund the amount or send a replacement.

Forget about physical goods being returned. Tickets cancelled at Make My trip .com take about 3-4 weeks to get refunded, that too after I had to make at least 5-8 calls.

Sadly, this wouldn't work in our country.....there's too much of a trust deficit.

How many of the dealers could be trusted to return our money, were we to return the speakers? If one was dealing directly with a reputable manufacturer, then maybe there would be some comfort level, but with smaller dealers down the chain? As it is, it is so difficult to get basic service support from dealers after one has parted with one's money.

Then comes damage in transit. Can the courier company be trusted to return the speakers to the dealer without any damage? Would the dealer trust you if you were to give your solemn word that the speakers were in pristine condition when they left your premises? Can the insurance company be trusted to pay up the full amount? Anyone who has tried to get a medical claim settled knows that in our country the intent of insurers is -not- to pay.

Without trying to disrespect anyone here .

Most of us dont understand the dynamics of the Audio Industry. Lets looks at a dealers perspective here in India

1. Unlike the US / EU / Middle East / APAC the Hi end audio industry in India is close to non existent at least in terms of numbers of units sold. Considering we are a Billion people strong. , True Hifi equipment is restricted to probably less than 1 % of the population. Lets face facts in a country like India present day and age or even 5 years hence it will still be restricted to 1% or lower. Ask any average Indian and Hifi takes a back seat. Even if the products are easily available and at the same price they are available in the US.
Tell a average Joe that a decent midfi pair of speakers + Amp + Source + Cables is going to cost to the tune for 80k - 100k minimum .. and even if he has a 100k salary per month he would find it way to expensive and not worth it . He would find it more cost effective to buy a Samsung , LG setup for 1/4th the cost

In a country like India we have to think about post retirement, Kids education, Savings , Medical needs, Kids education , their marriage etc etc. Priorities are different and Hifi takes a back seat as its not a necessity but a luxury

. So in terms of turnover what dealers are going to see is really low. Since they have to run a business and have overheads such as infrastructure / employees, investment in hifi gear,taxes etc .
They have to find a way to make ends meet and break even and if possible make a profit .. After all it is a business...

2. The dollar against the Rupee is highly unstable . Dealers approximately loose around 3% in wiring and conversion fees from INR to USD Add the 30%+ customs plus kickbacks to corrupt custom officials so as to get the goods released fast Plus provide a warrany and replace if equipment is faulty etc

3. Shipping charges are by no means cheap. I recently shipped a Pair of speakers from the US by sea with a total weight of 180 kilos for the pair and it costed me almost 100k

Yes Dealers overcharging to some extent . Are they serious about the business ... Yes they are IMO or else they would have ventured into dealing with Hifi . .

But look at the picture on a whole..

Are they justified in selling Hifi gear at inflated prices .. YES and NO > it depends how you look at it

PS :: I am in no way affiliated to any dealer nor am I a part of the Audio Industry in any way except as a End Consumer.

No Offence Flash but I would like to respond to your points as below:

1) No product in history has a ready market and the markets need to be developed as in all parts of the world which requires effort, commitment and some investment...Hifi is a luxury all over the world and the average Joe in the US also will not spend the MRP of the hifi equipment...I know enough people who love audio equipment but no idea how to go about it...All the problems listed by you for Indians in particular are the same all over the world..the US/UK/developed country citizens pay almost 40% of their salaries as taxes and most of them have to even pay for their own marriages - sometimes even 2 or 3 and yet they are the ones who spend on hifi if they want to....

2) I am an importer myself and while I understand the rupee volatility, the Indian distributor gets distributor prices without the VAT/local taxes which is almost 50% of the MRPs abroad....also the rentals, labour costs are higher in the developed world than India...the customs duty is charged on distributor prices and not actual MRPs and that too if the distributor has not undervalued the products...

3) Shipping by sea is quite cheap...The cost of shipping a full 20 foot container from China to India is 1 lakh and that can hold quite a bit of stuff...Your agent must have overcharged you a lot if you paid 1 lakh for 180 kilos...

Again no offense meant...

Sorry to revive an old thread but again tried to contact Audiovision for Magnepan .7 prices with no response from them since the last 4 days.... Thinking of trying to import them seeing the response from these guys...

I had sent them a query on their website but nobody has bothered to respond....

panditji,
great choice. your amp is also a really good one and i presume has enough power in it to drive them as Luxman is conservative in its rating
this is one combination i would love to hear as both are companies whose design philosophy i really admire personally !
you may want to consider getting the Bass Panel as well though maggies sound phenomenally better with a reinforcement of the Bass

Sorry to revive an old thread but again tried to contact Audiovision for Magnepan .7 prices with no response from them since the last 4 days.... Thinking of trying to import them seeing the response from these guys...

I had sent them a query on their website but nobody has bothered to respond....

Sir,
May I suggest a phone call.
The Import is a bit difficult - since the speakers volume is huge;
Showroom & Head Office

AudioVision India Pvt. Ltd.
2nd Floor, New Empire Cinema
Building Murzban Road, Fort
Mumbai - 400 001

Tel:+91(22)6600 5000 / 2200 4040
Call post 1500 hours & ask for Mr. Munir.
I am sure he will help.
They have been most forthcoming to me at least.

All the Best !

Super Speaker - I hold them in high regard...
:clapping:

Never ever in my lifetime would i ever see such a scheme get floated up here. People in general here in India are 2 faced i.e. saying something and doing something else, trying to cut corners and hoodwinking other folks all the time. (sorry but this is the prevailing observation)

Aaaah I see that you've met my in-laws. Are they doing good?

Anyway, other than that, man please tell me you're exaggerating.

I have noticed that Indians atleast in the US tend to hear with their eyes. They want B&W with yellow mids, and when they find out the 802 S2 has 2 woofers that are black, but the cm8/9 had 8" woofers in yellow, they want 802's with Yellow woofers too. I'm like man that Kevlar mid has tons of problems, they had to have a crazy crossover to keep its crying down, and you want 2 of them ... as woofers ... why don't you paint these woofers yellow and we're good.

You have macintosh, Krell or other high end, they'd come running, but mention Cary tube gear and their eyes glaze over.

Same with houses too. They don't just want big, attractive and expensive. It also has to be a brand name complicated and less usable than a simpler house.

Cool.
Srinath.

Shipping charges are by no means cheap. I recently shipped a Pair of speakers from the US by sea with a total weight of 180 kilos for the pair and it costed me almost 100k

Looks like someone has taken you for a royal ride.

Shipping by sea is quite cheap...The cost of shipping a full 20 foot container from China to India is 1 lakh and that can hold quite a bit of stuff.

Cargo is treated in two categories; "container load" and "less than container load" commonly referred to as LCL cargo. One of my friends who is the Chief Executive of a shipping company says that these companies usually overcharge the LCL customers because they usually are non regular customers and thus can be easily exploited.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back