Magnepan LRS

Do make sure you guys have a robust high current amplifier to drive them panels, so factor that price in if you have not yet. 100 watts will not bring the best out of them. Power hungry hogs that panels are.

It should on paper, for the LRS model. Ideally the current rating should double when going from 8 to 4 ohms. I drove the MC1's with an Arcam 80 wpc and it used to crap out. These panels really like power. @drkrack is using a crown xls 2502 (775 watts) and @sound_cycle is using two Schiit Vidar (200watts X4 ohms) as monoblocks.

Will 170 watts @ 4 ohms be enough for a 15 x 17 feet room?
It should on paper, for the LRS model. Ideally the current rating should double when going from 8 to 4 ohms. I drove the MC1's with an Arcam 80 wpc and it used to crap out. These panels really like power. @drkrack is using a crown xls 2502 (775 watts) and @sound_cycle is using two Schiit Vidar (200watts X4 ohms) as monoblocks.

Yes these speakers are power hungry. The ones I have listened to eons ago had beefy amps driving them.
The likes of MacIntosh, Bryston, etc
The LRS should do well with a 100W amp stable at 4 ohms (or below for them dips).
At 86dB they are a bit shy on the sensitivity front.

If this plan works, I hope my Parasound amp holds up.
They claim it is 150W at 4/2 ohms and it is 2 ohm stable.
I have tried them on tough speakers like PSB Synchrony.
It holds it ground at moderate listening levels.

Cheers,
Raghu

As you guys might know me, my future buy is a good Hypex Ncore amp (nc400 or even higher ones)...so that's how I planned to do my system.

(I am into good measurements. As I can 'subjectively vouch' good measurements sounds good to me )

On a few Magnepan forums (Asylum) a couple of people have claimed 50 watts tube amplification works for them. So yes you will see difference of opinion. Magnepan always demo's its speakers with Bryston Amplifiers. The LRS was demoed with an Magnepan amplifier posted here.

Rave reviews here:

So nobody wants to sell the LRS speakers as they seem to be only for the US and the dealers hardly make much money on them... Unless we upgrade to the .7 and above, don't think anybody will get into the hassle of sending speakers... Please PM me to confirm...

A question. Do they need any specific dimension room to sound best? Mine is 25 x 13 ft hall with speakers kept facing the longer side. Horizontal separation between LR speakers is 6 feet. Due to a door, both speakers will have uneven separation from the side walls. Thanks for your insight.

So nobody wants to sell the LRS speakers as they seem to be only for the US and the dealers hardly make much money on them... Unless we upgrade to the .7 and above, don't think anybody will get into the hassle of sending speakers... Please PM me to confirm...

That's sad.

Since there is 'lack' of audition a perennial issue for me, I am wary of investing heavy. The LRS is within a comfortable budget....

Anyway how much will the 0.7 come about ....say a rough estimate? (Keeping fingers crossed)

panditji

one way around this is top ask the US dealer to simply sell to you ( the group ) and you may arrange your freight forwarder to pick up from the dealers..and send to you.

Note - I am not in the group buy.

regards

panditji

one way around this is top ask the US dealer to simply sell to you ( the group ) and you may arrange your freight forwarder to pick up from the dealers..and send to you.

Note - I am not in the group buy.

regards

That is exactly what I have mentioned in my emails.. It seems the LRS is only for the US market as a feeder to the higher models since the company is sure that people will upgrade after listening to the Maggie sound... Anyways, looking at other dealers as well although it's the cheapest in the US...

That is exactly what I have mentioned in my emails.. It seems the LRS is only for the US market as a feeder to the higher models since the company is sure that people will upgrade after listening to the Maggie sound... Anyways, looking at other dealers as well although it's the cheapest in the US...

so will they not sell to Indian customer ?

maybe warranty issues etc.. ??

@panditji
LRS is also sold by Magnepan directly too in US.
This may be the reason why local US dealers are not warming up to it.
Wonder if they will do a bulk sell directly overseas.
Maybe not.
Cheers,
Raghu

@panditji
LRS is also sold by Magnepan directly too in US.
This may be the reason why local US dealers are not warming up to it.
Wonder if they will do a bulk sell directly overseas.
Maybe not.
Cheers,
Raghu
Raghu, I had contacted Wendell Diller of Magnepan a couple of times in the last 3 years and both times he asked me to go through Audiovision.. I stated my concern about zero support and lack of audition but he expressed his regret... So Magnepan wont sell directly.. Will have to go through some dealer else wait for an FTA between India and US and hope speakers are part of the products with zero duty...

wait for an FTA between India and US and hope speakers are part of the products with zero duty...

That will be a big day for indian audiophiles and Made in USA products will hopefully will become attractive price wise

But let's not hope too much too soon

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back