Making BSNL DataOne Broadband Wireless - How ?

deba

Dear All,

I am presently using a DLink 502T ADSL Router to connect to Internet by BSNL DataOne Broadband.The Router is connected directly via USB to my Laptop. I want to make my Broadband connection Wireless for my Home , How do I do it and what make and model equipments are required and the approximate cost of it to make it wireless.
The Laptop has built in Bluetooth and Integrated Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11.

An early reply will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
There are two ways of doing this.

1. You can ask BSNL themselves to replace the current router with a wireless router.

2. You can keep the current router and get an good wireless router cum switch. You install the router and connect the output of current router to the input of the wireless router through a small Ethernet cable.

Wireless routers are available from companies such as D-Link, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys and others. Prices vary from some 3K to about 15K depending upon features.

Cheers

Hai Deba,

Get Type-II Modem from BSNL, they may charge 1800/- which will be adjusted in your future bills it has both wired and wireless both in built. Contact your nearest Customer Service or the SDE(External) of the Exchange serving your area.

N.Murali

Hi,

Yes, BSNL provides a Huawei MT841 model for Type II, which has a USB port, 4 lan ports and WIFI. I find it very stable and have been using it since 2006.

MT841.jpg

Cheers!

An ADSL+ wireless router may not give you the best in terms of wireless range and performance. Also remember wireless internet reviews from US - they do not use thick concrete walls

The current performance champions in 802.11n are NetGear 3700 ($160) and a Cisco400 model ($125).

HTH

Regards

The equipment you posted will definitely work with BSNL - But as you've a modem already why not just add a Wireless Router.

Also the Modem linked above is just G, Wireless N & Gigabit are fast creeping in Consumer devices. N & Gigabit are required only if you're just going to transfer files across devices/stream HD videos etc. I know that we tend to stick to equipments longer, So it would be good to get hold of the best - Of course if it suits you in longer run.

Purchased a Belkin G Wireless Modem Router (Rs 3200/-) and conncted it. Its good and working perfect. I dont need my wireless network in a very large area and presently using a 256kbps bsnl broadband so think the G type (54Mbps) is enough for me.

Which encryption system should I use for WLAN in Windows XP and Windows 7 OS ?
Kindly help.

Hi Deba

I use a Netgear Wireless N router connected to my BSNL modem. I had a Linksys Wireless G earlier, but the N gives me both better coverage and faster throughput.

George

Hi Deba

I use a Netgear Wireless N router connected to my BSNL modem. I had a Linksys Wireless G earlier, but the N gives me both better coverage and faster throughput.

George

......but N will give better visibility of your network and chances of getting hacked is more.....and G type allows upto 54Mbps but BSNL Broadband speed is much less than that .....can N type increase your Internet speed.....kindly discuss......

Can WPA PSK and AES network authentication slow internet speed ? if so than how much.......

Last edited:
I'll defer to some of the gurus here for clarifications, but since one of my systems uses wifi, Wireless N allows me to rip and transfer files from there into my NAS at much faster speeds than G. In addition, the wireless signal strength in my house is better. I have locked down my devices filtering them using MAC addresses-though I know that theoretically these can be spoofed.

George

Let me give some tips:

WPA2 with TKIP will reduce your throughput to as much as 40% in all router brands today. Always go for a router with WPA2 with AES encrytion.

Most routers models seem to perform better at 802.11g than N in terms of range. The Netgear 3700 and Linksys 400N are the current models that have surpassed the poor range+performance issues with most routers to date.

Mac address spoofing is very much possible very easily and in these days of terror emails I would recommend only buying a router with Radius authentication support. This is marketed as Enterprise Security. With Radius you maintain a database of user/passwords and the user needs to login after 802.1x authenticates the mac address.

Here is a list of must have features for wireless routers:

1. Radius + 802.1x authentication
2. VLAN/Guest mode - no hassle of creating user/pass for temporary visitor to home who may need to user your wireless connection. Segregate your home network from guest network so causal users or guest network cannot access your NAS files
3. 5ghz dual band with DFS approval certification. Dynamic Frequency Selection needs government approval due to interference with Military communication and can be added by firmware upgrade. Look for pending DFS approval tag.
4. QoS - Quality of Service to prioritize HD/Multimedia traffic over mail etc
5. WPA2 with AES encryption
6. UPnP server to access multimedia files from TV/Consumer devices + usb HDD support + torrent client
9. Packet aggregation - affects throughput/speed
10.Co-existence - other neighbor wireless routers will cause signal interference drastically reducing throughput. Co-existence is the name of a feature. Look for it.
11. 3 Spatial streams for simultaneous HD streaming to multiple devices
12. Space time block coding - affects throughput/speed
13. Dynamic DNS - allows you to access you network from office outside by specifying a hostname - thru the wired Broadband connection.

HTH
Regards

Last edited:
Hi:

what would be the cheapest Wireless N router that can
1) act as a NAS interface
2) has a USB option, take a USB NTFS HD and stream
contents and download using torrents without the
use of PC.
3) all other features are secondary to me at this point.

Please let me know the options available and the approx price.

Thank you.

Hi:

what would be the cheapest Wireless N router that can
1) act as a NAS interface
2) has a USB option, take a USB NTFS HD and stream
contents and download using torrents without the
use of PC.
3) all other features are secondary to me at this point.

Please let me know the options available and the approx price.

Thank you.

For a NAS interface, you need a wireless 802.11n card in the PCI-1x slot preferably. The router will be your general purpose home networking device.

I dont know which router reads NTFS. My WNDR3700 does not. I may eventually use the openWRT firmware to add EXT3 and NTFS support to it later this year.

HTH
Regards

After some googling and research on the models that support
the features that I want, seems ASUS RT-N16 fits the bill.

However cost of this seems to be around 9 K. Any other
alternatives for a lesser price?.

Also any thoughts on the RT-N16?.

I may be wrong but I find wired Modems to be much faster and stable then wireless versions.......my Belkin often gets disconnected and couldnt find the cause of it so currently I am using a Wired Dlink Modem and very happy with it..........

Wireless adds a huge amount of complexity. If one can connect by wire then it's a good chance to keep it simple.

The speed, though, of my D-Link 802.11n is very acceptable.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back