Making LG BD550 region free

bevivek

Dear all,

I recently bought a new Blu Ray player LG BD550 as a combo deal with a Yamaha YHT-294.

I am facing the Check Regional Code message even for DVDs taken from British council. I want to make it region free since I have a big stack of DVDs.

I have tried some of the solutions given in the avforums.com and videohelp.com but they don't seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Vivek

+1, exactly same situation here

my impression about the player:
1.Blu-ray playback is satisfactory, loading time is reasonably fast, 1080p image quality is good, no issue
2.As media player its ability is questionable, does not play many files which my ASUS R3 plays spotlessly, no issue here as its a primarily BD player and don't care about its media playing capability
3.DVD playback is fine

Now the concerns:
1.build is cheap, won't mind at that price
2.The shopkeeper claimed its a all-region DVD player, region C BD player, am not sure about DVD as hv not tested yet.

I could have bought the all-region DVD+BD version, but my point is

why should I buy something which is tempered with and not endorsed by the manufacturer??

Why can't LG itself mods it at a certain price tag when unauthorized vendors making side money by knowing a trick or two?

My search in the internet does not lead to procedure of making it code-free, everyone seems to be unsure or proposes some codes that do not work for all. Its a rather disappointing situation. I have found everything about region-free BD player is rather murky - no certain price range, no prospect of future support

all in all the idea of region-free players is not supported by film studios and player manufacturer, so do it at your own risk. The result is many of us are deprived seeing many outstanding films in BDs

seems now I have to invest on a region B (for amazon UK) player.

Arnab

I personally checked it and indeed this player is region locked both for blu-ray and DVD, as expected the sale guy in the shop claimed it to be region-free DVD player and later said "sorry", though performance is decent at the price

Can any one lead me to making it at least region-free for DVD?? My search didn't show any promise, Any one??

Arnab

There must be the way,they knows how to make DVD regfree-
LG BD-550 Region Free Blu Ray Player | BD-550 Region Free | LG BD550 Region Code Free Blu Ray

perhaps this way-

1. Go to Menu
2. Press Set Up Button.
3. Scoll down to Lock Highlight & Press.
4. Scoll down to Area Code.
5. Enter 0000 and again 0000 press the pause button.
6. Press Enter.
7. Change the Region Code to any Country you require.
8. Exit
* Next time you won't require the password, just use 0000 then change the country as required.

If this doesn't work try changing 5. press pause after the first sequence of 0000.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/lg-bd560/10815

Last edited:
I tried and here is the result

1. Go to Menu
2. Press Set Up Button.

theres only one such button "disc menu", no need to go there, upon start-up "set up" is visible

3. Scoll down to Lock Highlight & Press.

done

4. Scoll down to Area Code.

done

5. Enter 0000 and again 0000 press the pause button.
6. Press Enter.

nothing happens, tried several times, instead if one enters, the screen asks for 4 digit password "new" and "verify", I gave 0000, and entered

7. Change the Region Code to any Country you require.
8. Exit

now "area code" option comes which is 2 digit, it does not accept any number, default was "IN" so I gave "UK" and pressed "return", am not sure what is this "country all about, I only know region 0,1,2.....

* Next time you won't require the password, just use 0000 then change the country as required.

very true, next time with only one 0000 it gives that damn "area code", what the catch?? what I am missing??

tried with a region 2/4 DVD, the player rejected the DVD with the susal message....

Arnab

I have the same player and unfortunately there is no modification for making this either dvd/bluray region free. Being looking into google since 6 months to make it region free atleast for dvd but to no luck so far.

The steps listed by spiro are actually available as part of the manual for making the country specific reviews and not making the player region free. Hope this helps.

i think akd has the solution but you have use blu ray region codes not dvd codes, this can be found on wikipeadeajust type in dvd codes and the blu ray codes are on that same page. good luck.

Re: Making LG BD580 region free

Hello,

I've a LG BD-580 Blu-Ray 3D player which won't play region 1 (USA) DVDs. Shows 'region code error'. Can anyone help me unlock it to make it region free or atleast make it play Region 1 DVDs. As I bought it locally in India, I believe it is configured to play Asian region discs.

Thanks

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back