Sony BDP-S1500 Not Playing Sony India DVDs

miroflex

I have just purchased a Sony BDP-S1500 Blu-ray/DVD player which is made in Malaysia. When I try to play DVDs marketed by Sony India (The Ten Commandments, The Italian Job, Mutiny On The Bounty) the TV screen shows the message "Playback prohibited by region code". Is there a way of overcoming this limitation and making it region-free, at least for DVDs?

S1500 is not a region free DVD/Blu Ray Player, if purchased in Malaysia it would may be locked to region 3 whereas India is region 5.

I have the same player purchased in India which is locked to Region 5 and does not play region 1 DVDs. There is a region code hack but try it at your own risk as it would void warranty in my opinion.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv

S1500 is not a region free DVD/Blu Ray Player, if purchased in Malaysia it would may be locked to region 3 whereas India is region 5.

I have the same player purchased in India which is locked to Region 5 and does not play region 1 DVDs. There is a region code hack but try it at your own risk as it would void warranty in my opinion.

Thanks & Regards
Rajiv

Thanks for the advice and information Rajiv.

I had purchased my Sony BDP-S1500 from a Sony dealer in Dehradun. It should be good for Region 5 countries, including India. That is unless I have been sold a grey import from Malaysia.

In the latter case, I will have to take up the matter with the dealer and Sony India.

Thanks and regards.

By your statement made in Malaysia people assumed that it is grey market product. But as it is purchased in India it should play indian DVDs. First take this up with the dealer and then the service center

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for your advice, Dr_Rocket. I too find it difficult to understand why a Sony India Blu-ray Disc/DVD, Player purchased from a Sony dealer in India, is not playing Sony India DVDs purchased in India.

I contacted the dealer who had sold me the player but he was not of much help. I have sent a message to Sony India about the situation through their website. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Thanks and regards.

I got a phone call from a representative of Sony India yesterday. Our conversation was not very long and proved to be most unfruitful and unsatisfactory. The caller was unable to throw any light on the situation. He kept on repeating that any Sony BDP-S1500 sold by Sony India would play Blu-ray Discs/DVDs for the Region India is located in.

When I explained that my BDP-S1500, bought from a Sony dealer in Dehradun, was not playing Sony India DVDs bought in India (from Crosswords, Camp, Pune), which did not carry any indication of any Region, he only reiterated what he had been repeating earlier.

I am no nearer to a solution to the problem. Can anyone help me to go further into the matter and come up with a fix?

OK so let's start with the basics
At the back of the player you will find the region code of both DVD and bluray it should be 5 and C. After you check that verify if there is a region code stamped on the discs purchased from crosswords. Try it in another player or a pc DVD player perhaps..

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

OK so let's start with the basics
At the back of the player you will find the region code of both DVD and bluray it should be 5 and C. After you check that verify if there is a region code stamped on the discs purchased from crosswords. Try it in another player or a pc DVD player perhaps..

Thank you very much for guiding me through the basics, Rajiv. I unplugged the wires and had a good look at the back of the BDP-S1500. I could see the number "5" and the letter "C" marked under the words "DVD" and "BD" respectively, printed on a picture of the globe with latitudes and longitudes marked on it. So the player is correct for the Region India is located in.

On having a fresh look at the DVDs I could see the number "2" on a simillar picture of the globe, followed by the letters "PAL". Evidently the DVDs are suitable for the UK but not for India.

I tried to play the DVDs on my Dell laptop with a Windows 8.1 platform but without success.

On doing a google search for a way out, I came up with three possible solutions.

1. Buy a Region-free DVD player.

2. Buy a Region 2 DVD player.

3. Play the DVDs on a PC or laptop with a Linux platform.

A fourth option would be to sell the DVDs to someone who owns a Region-free or Region 2 DVD player. Crosswords are unlikely to give me a refund after such a long gap.

What do you suggest would be the best way out?

For most pc DVD players region hack is easier and also it doesn't cost a bomb. Check if any of your friends have a region free DVD player, rip the files and play in a media player. Just my 2 cents.

Would it be a good idea to buy a used Sony DVP-NS708HP Region Free DVD player for Rs 2500 + courier charges without trying it out? What are the pros and cons of buying used DVD players? Would it be possible for a kind FM living in Kolkata to try it out on my behalf before I buy it?

Anyone knowing of any Region Free DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player in good condition for sale?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back