MAKING OF MJOLNIR (ported passive subs tuned to 28 Hz)

adas

Hi,
I have been DIY for the past 12yrs or so, and one thing I have clearly understood is that bass is the foundation on which the entire sound stage is based. So after lot of soul searching and debating with myself, if I should pour in my hard earn money in making these beasts , I finally concluded that it is well worth the effort and time.
And my journey began , first was finding the right drivers for the job , out of excitement I bought the peerless sub locally available in Mumbai but to my utter dismay these so called sub-woofers are at best woofers that also with poor xmax it has at best 10mm of pk to pk travel before it starts bottoming out . So I kept the peerless sub aside and started focusing on other drivers available, all I could find is car subs although good but most of them had their fs close to 35 to 40hz and the some JBL subs that had a fs close to 22-25hz were not available or were outrageous expensive, the thought of buying from parts express did cross my mind by but paying 40+ $ of shipping and then custom clearance wouldn't make the project viable anymore
So I kept on searching, and finally found a person who could build me the subs according to my specifications but he said you will have to wait as some components of the sub would need to be imported, so we formed an alliance and designed a sub that could out perform any commercially available sub given the price.
So here is my sub-woofers that I lovingly call the MJOLNIR (thors hammer), it delivers as per its name everything starting from windows to bed and furniture shakes when this beast fires up.
The Technical Side of the MJOLNIR.
Ported
BOX VOLUME 68L
PORTS 3X 3inch X 25inch (this keeps the port noise below 17m/sec even at 300W)
Driver Custom make
Group Delay ~ <20msec at 20 Hz
F3 28Hz

Sealed
F3 - 40hz
Otc 0.626

The box is built such that it can also be used as sealed with all the ports closed.
And I over calculated the need of sub for myself and made two of these beasts , with one sub firing at a measly 50W I have had complains from neighbors.(I think i have to sell these off and make some thing smaller..)
Now for the amps , I searched high and low for good amps of 300+300W but to my dismay everything was priced at approx >15-18K so I though why not make the amps as well and I have started designing the amps which will be complete in a months time..
sadly enough i lost the mobile and the pic of the build process for the sub, amp pics coming soon.

regards
Aniket

Attachments

• 1499016553429.jpg
    1499016553429.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 1499016554062.jpg
    1499016554062.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 136
  • 1499020497546.jpg
    1499020497546.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 136
Wow! Good work done mate. Please share more as there will be many on this forum who will want subs.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Why did you not buy the Eminence Lab 12 sub which is available in India ?
Designing a 300 watt sub amp ? Why ?
Amp design has evolved a lot and circuitry that sounds good have appeared on the shelves in KIT stores on Ebay at prices that no one can beat. Why not just buy one of those . You'll need to make a chassis, get a transformer and possibly make the power supply board ( also available as a kit ). You have a choice of class AB or classD . The AB being easier to trouble shoot if something should go wrong ! The classD generally for better sound ( as a sub !) . Pick a design with speaker protection relay on board for a classD ! Or at least add an external speaker protection board. Amp failure should not result in a burnt voice coil. I think the Lab12 recone kit costs close to 6 K in India !

Amp design has evolved a lot and circuitry that sounds good have appeared on the shelves in KIT stores on Ebay at prices that no one can beat. Why not just buy one of those . You'll need to make a chassis, get a transformer and possibly make the power supply board ( also available as a kit ). You have a choice of class AB or classD . The AB being easier to trouble shoot if something should go wrong ! The classD generally for better sound ( as a sub !) . Pick a design with speaker protection relay on board for a classD ! Or at least add an external speaker protection board. Amp failure should not result in a burnt voice coil. I think the Lab12 recone kit costs close to 6 K in India !

I had heard eminence Lab 12 is available but couldn't find the source, can you please tell me the source in india and at what price...
regarding the amps i prefer making my own right from the scratch , i know kits are available but i am power-electronics engineer i shouldn't need to buy kits and regarding the protection circuits my amp has over temp protection , dc offset protection, over voltage and under voltage protection , short circuit protection ....

regards
aniket

I had heard eminence Lab 12 is available but couldn't find the source, can you please tell me the source in india and at what price...

Capital Radio Company
B-6/4 Okhla Industrial Area
New Delhi 110020 +91-9873084555

Swamy Engineering Works NO18, Sunguvar Agraharam Street
Chintadripet
Chennai - 600 002 Tamil Nadu, India 044 28549532
[email protected]

Good job [emoji122]
Can you share the cost of the build?
And will this guy build for others?
Thanks

Good job [emoji122]
Can you share the cost of the build?
And will this guy build for others?
Thanks

I haven't calculate the total cost ...the project was done over a period of 6-7 months and I have completely lost track of the money I spent and yes this total product will be available upon request...

attached are the designed graph for the subwoofer.

Attachments

• TRANSFER FUNCTION MAGNITUDE.jpg
    TRANSFER FUNCTION MAGNITUDE.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 68
  • SPL.jpg
    SPL.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 68
  • REAR PORT AIR VELOCITY.jpg
    REAR PORT AIR VELOCITY.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 69
  • GROUP DELAY.jpg
    GROUP DELAY.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 70
  • CONE EXCURSION.jpg
    CONE EXCURSION.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 70
hello every body ... one major update the F3 for the SUB is 26hz not 28hz i just realized after looking at the design files.

regards
Aniket

I just took the quote for Eminence LAB12 they are quoted at 12980 + shipping that will be another 1.5-2K and also checked the ts parameters the eminence lab 12 will need a 4.5cuft enclosure to have a F3 of 26hz .
The custom driver i used is significance cheaper and requires a smaller enclosure to reach the F3 of 26hz.In India a lot of talented people are available who can beat the foreign competition hands down.

regards
Aniket

Back