Mar 2012 Wireless N router for BSNL

Puneet was a bit wrong about omni directional thing. From what I understand now, Omni directional means equal transmitting power for all directions. Also, is the zone of coverage a sphere or is it a cylinder/ doughnut with the antenna as the long axis. Its more likely to be the latter, otherwise why do devices feature more than one antennae?

So Haisaikat, one should look for a router which will feature detachable antenna(e) that can be replaced with something more powerful? And I am still not getting good signal, its just that I got signal where there was none earlier by this small change.

Yes I think one should look for detachable antennas and if you see some router or pci wifi card's manual that have more than one external antenna then they say keep the two antennas at right angles (or 120 degree) to one another (tilted rather than keeping both vertical).

I am all set for trying the modding experiment on my WRT610N with high gain antennas, placed order today

I got a bsnl connection a couple of months back, but the router thing was holding it back. So I finally got 2750u to at least get the internet started on bsnl. Now time to kick out Airtel (which I already downgraded, but still costs me 600 pm).

Interesting - this has a USB port at the back. So I attached a portable 2.5" hdd and it was able to read it quite well. It shared the hdd on smb, and from my laptop, I was able to play a 720p movie (just tried a min or so) without hiccups, from a distance of 13-14 ft (was checking in the same room).

However, there is no DLNA on this. If only it was there, I wouldn't have needed anything else for my current network needs.

Has anyone tried setting up VPN on this to access US only content?

my connection is 1350 pm for 4Mbps - however, when I checked my speed, it wasn't more than 1.5 or 2Mbps (using hughes and airtel servers).
Does anyone else have this connection with this problem? On dsl interface in router management, it shows 3999 as download speed.

my connection is 1350 pm for 4Mbps - however, when I checked my speed, it wasn't more than 1.5 or 2Mbps (using hughes and airtel servers).
Does anyone else have this connection with this problem? On dsl interface in router management, it shows 3999 as download speed.

did you try using speedtest.net ? 1.5 to 2 mbps is this teh real file transfer rate? Since in 4mbps total bandwidth usable speed you can get is 1/8 of the full bandwidth.

There is another probability though if your 1.5 -2 mbps is already measured using speedtest.net, you may be using a shared connection where 4 mbps is the full bandwidth (upto what you can get depending on traffic).

yes I tested using speedtest.net and it reports that much speed in Mbps.
what is the logic for 1/8?

The logic doesnt apply here as speedtest shows the speed in Mbps only.

Otherwise the logic is simple 8bits= 1 byte.

Therefore a 4 Mbps connection would give a download speed of 512KBps.

You are getting less speed than your connection promises.

Like I said earlier in that case you need to read the fineprints of your ISP plan. Somehwere there must be indication that it is a shared connection and the 4mbps speed is not guaranteed all the time and is the max possible speed only. Like BSNL says, "Upto 2 mbps", etc

have done that. And he also suggested to use the splitter, earlier I was connecting directly.
Out of 4 servers close to delhi, 3 are giving speed close to 3.5Mbps now, while airtel is giving just 1.75

he also suggested to use the splitter, earlier I was connecting directly.
Usually, the suggestion is, if having problem, remove the splitter and connect directly! The splitter is there to filter the broadband signals out of your phone calls, not the other way around.
Out of 4 servers close to delhi, 3 are giving speed close to 3.5Mbps now, while airtel is giving just 1.75
Your ISP is only responsible to you for the speed between you and them, not the speed to any other server. Of course, that ISP, in turn buys bandwidth, and the quality of what it buys will reflect in what it is able to maintain --- but that's a different issue.
Somehwere there must be indication that it is a shared connection and the 4mbps speed is not guaranteed all the time and is the max possible speed only.
Look for "contention" --- it is the number of people that can, at worst, be sharing the same bandwidth. It may be as much as 10, 20 or more. However, over a variety of ISPs in two countries, 1/10 or less bandwidth has always been the result of line/network faults: I've never felt that I experienced contention.

Some other countries have far higher bandwidths as basic than we do. They also complain a lot more about those bandwidths not being actually delivered.

bandwidth seems ok after these changes. 3+ from servers means isp is doing ok. will measure more.
Thad, how/ where to look for contention?

called a guy at bsnl office, and use the splitter as he requested.
To get the connection set, I was tired calling the BSNL helpline number.
So one sat, I send my driver with car to bsnl office, got the person driven to my home, and then dropped him back. Then when I called later, he recalled and said he will look into it. Seems he did.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back