Mar 2012 Wireless N router for BSNL

anm

Hi,
Though there are few threads for routers, I would like to know if the market has moved to a better performance and newer models are available.

I have laptops with wireless N, xtreamer with N, appletv with wireless N. So it makes a lot of sense to buy a router that supports wireless N. I was postponing this purchase as there was no need and airtel's router/ wifi was wireless G.
Now that I am going for BSNL, and they have refused to provide a router/ modem, I am forced to buy a new one.

Pls suggest options that have excellent performance. Budget is not fixed but value for money is required.

The One which I recommend is Linksys E4200 which is a Dual Band Router and works on both 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz Band. This is a very capable router but expensive too.

I recently changed my BSNL router from the stock Huawei to a DLINK DSL-2750U. This has b/g/n and configuring was a breeze. Did not have to get in touch with BSNL. Only you need to know your userid and password.

It cost me around 2.5K from Croma.

HTH

Gopi

Make sure you buy a router that is 300mbps capable, not 150. Even if all your clients are 150 mbps. The reason goes like this. For internet, even g is enough. You will use N for transferring data between two wireless devices. While transferring data, one guy uploads at 150, another downloads at 150, making the total 300. If you go for 150mbps router, two wireless clients will only be able to communicate at 75mbps. For this reason, there is no point in going for 300 mbps clients, unless of course one of your machine is at the gbps wired lan and you want to transfer to that.

I found these as well available at cost 2 cost nehru place
- asus RT N13U- Rs 3000
- netgear router N 300 - Rs 1940
- tp link 841N - Rs 1700?

ashish - that's a beauty! Toooo expensive though.

Its Expensive but believe me it won't break a sweat even its connected to Multiple clients wirelessly, also if you attach an external USB HDD to it then it will act as a NAS too with built in DLNA server to stream videos as well as music through out the house.

Ashish - but it doesn't have big external antennas like the other models have. Will it have range and number of clients as that of other competitors?
NAS is a good feature, but does it support USB3?

Ashish - but it doesn't have big external antennas like the other models have. Will it have range and number of clients as that of other competitors?
NAS is a good feature, but does it support USB3?

The range should not be problem in your house. No it doesn't have a USB 3.0

Another question - how does one utilize dual band? Will my devices - laptops, media players, apple tv, ipad, and future devices, like a NAS support it out of box, or they would need to purchase special hardware to be able to utilize this? For example, some feature like 3 channel needs clients also to have a matching device.

Another question - how does one utilize dual band? Will my devices - laptops, media players, apple tv, ipad, and future devices, like a NAS support it out of box, or they would need to purchase special hardware to be able to utilize this? For example, some feature like 3 channel needs clients also to have a matching device.

As of now only 2nd Generation Apple TV from your list of Devices will be able to see the 5 Gh Band of your router, for your laptop and other you will have to find out their compatibility, and for the NAS function you just have to attach an External HDD to the router.

I am using D-Link DIR 670 with my MTNL , and it works like charm , 4 Smartphones, 2 Laptops and one PC connected at a time & working smoothly.

I am using Netgear N600 router with gigabit LAN and 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

It can even be used to make a USB hard drive run as network storage with dlna server !

Cost was about INR 7.5K

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back