Need suggestion for 3.1 soundbar + wireless subwoofer under 45k

vnk

Hello, I'm new to this forum, hoping to get some insights from the community here.

I got a new Sony 65" TV. I'm not happy with the sound and decided to buy a 3.1 soundbar + wireless subwoofer. Based on reviews from Youtube, rtings, this forum and other websites I have shortlisted the following - LG SC9S, Sony HT-G700 and Sony HT-S2000. But I'm not able to choose 1 from these 3. I did go to a store and try these devices, but it is hard to make out exact differences in the noisy showrooms and trying out different content. I'm hoping the community here may have some insights based on experience or could make better judgement looking at the product specifications.

These are the questions I have -
  1. Do Sony soundbars provide better experience with Sony TVs?
  2. How are the upward speakers of LG compared to virtual surround that of Sony HT-G700 and Sony HT-S2000?
  3. What's your pick between these options for usage pattern with 50% movies, 20% youtube, 20% music and 10% sports?
  4. If I go with LG, what will I lose out from going with Sony soundbar?
  5. Any website (or tricks/tools you use) to better compare different sound bars? Many website have inconsistent data, some reviews are for older generation and not updated and some don't have the product listed.

Hello, I'm new to this forum, hoping to get some insights from the community here.

I got a new Sony 65" TV. I'm not happy with the sound and decided to buy a 3.1 soundbar + wireless subwoofer. Based on reviews from Youtube, rtings, this forum and other websites I have shortlisted the following - LG SC9S, Sony HT-G700 and Sony HT-S2000. But I'm not able to choose 1 from these 3. I did go to a store and try these devices, but it is hard to make out exact differences in the noisy showrooms and trying out different content. I'm hoping the community here may have some insights based on experience or could make better judgement looking at the product specifications.

2. How are the upward speakers of LG compared to virtual surround that of Sony HT-G700 and Sony HT-S2000?
  3. What's your pick between these options for usage pattern with 50% movies, 20% youtube, 20% music and 10% sports?
  5. Any website (or tricks/tools you use) to better compare different sound bars? Many website have inconsistent data, some reviews are for older generation and not updated and some don't have the product listed.
if Sound bar and TV are of the same company, the integration features like connectivity, features etc are enhanced. However there is no appreciable advantage in sound quality.

At 45k, I would advise you to take a 3.1.2 set up of LG (LG SPA 8 or something) with the wireless rear speaker. Those two wireless rear speaker (set up on teh back and over the head) will help in atmos delivery, surround effect etc and will out perform the other two speakers you have mentioned. Since they are almost wireless, no stress of wires etc etc. A 3.1 system wont get you the true dolby effect.

On reddit I saw a lot of people complaining compatibility issues between brands that also make TVs. So I ended up exploring Polk Audio MagniFi mini AX and Sonos Beam 2 as well. The later doesn’t come with sub-woofer though but has incredible feedback on the internet. Any suggestion between these two options?

I want to buy and forget about this Soundbar, so sound and reliability are of high importance. So, currently aligned towards either Sony or other pure audio brands like Sonos, Bose, Polk Audio etc

A
On reddit I saw a lot of people complaining compatibility issues between brands that also make TVs. So I ended up exploring Polk Audio MagniFi mini AX and Sonos Beam 2 as well. The later doesn’t come with sub-woofer though but has incredible feedback on the internet. Any suggestion between these two options?

I want to buy and forget about this Soundbar, so sound and reliability are of high importance. So, currently aligned towards either Sony or other pure audio brands like Sonos, Bose, Polk Audio etc
At your quoted budget, bose or sonus or Polk do not make anything of note.

Polk's magna mini is a decent option but will fall behind the Sony's or LG's offering at the same price.

As you've fixed your choice on a sound bar, going by the 'rtings' is reliable.
For full movie experience get the 5.1 bar.
If you are more into music, it's not needed. Of the three LG is better.

A
At your quoted budget, bose or sonus or Polk do not make anything of note.

Polk's magna mini is a decent option but will fall behind the Sony's or LG's offering at the same price.
I'm curious about this take, based on what I gathered so far - Polk MagniFi mini consistently got good reviews, then LG SC9S and then Sony options. This is considering music experience. However, if you consider integration with Sony TV, Sony & LG soundbars might weight the same.

Hence, I was inclined towards Polk Audio MagniFi Mini AX to get decent integration and sound quality.

As you've fixed your choice on a sound bar, going by the 'rtings' is reliable.
For full movie experience get the 5.1 bar.
If you are more into music, it's not needed. Of the three LG is better.
What are your thoughts on Polk Audio MagniFi Mini AX compared to the above LG and Sony options?

Don't buy a sound bar . Buy second hand AVR amplifier and two or three good used speakers.
I want something more low-key. This is my living room and I would like to keep it simple.

Though I would love such an experience, I will stash that suggestion for some other day when I have my own room for home theater setup.

What are your thoughts on Polk Audio MagniFi Mini AX compared to the above LG and Sony options?

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/polk-audio/magnifi-max-ax-sr :
Yes this particular Polk is highly rated.
Being Mini- compact form factor, sound stage is limited. Sony has a better built- set up.

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/polk-audio/magnifi-max-ax-sr :
Yes this particular Polk is highly rated.
Being Mini- compact form factor, sound stage is limited. Sony has a better built- set up.
I agree. That and better integration with Sony TVs. However, a lot of reviews say Polk has better dialogue clarity over Sony. If that is true, I would go with better dialogue clarity over sound stage.

Also a lot of Indian movies, don't have a very clear sound stage. I hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited:
I want something more low-key. This is my living room and I would like to keep it simple.

Though I would love such an experience, I will stash that suggestion for some other day when I have my own room for home theater setup.
Low key is what I am suggesting only brother. It's more for your money. If you want less for your money sure go ahead with a sound bar.

I'm curious about this take, based on what I gathered so far - Polk MagniFi mini consistently got good reviews, then LG SC9S and then Sony options. This is considering music experience. However, if you consider integration with Sony TV, Sony & LG soundbars might weight the same.

Hence, I was inclined towards Polk Audio MagniFi Mini AX to get decent integration and sound quality.

Firstly, I have assumed that you want a sound bar primarily for movies and elevating TV experience. For music, sound bars vs dedicated stero set up, that is a different topic.

Having this in mind, while watching movies, the attention of the brain is quite divided and you need immersion, intelligibly of dialogues, support for various audio codecs like atmos etc, more than outright sound quality.

For this, you are better off with Sound Bar from Sony and LG Or even samsung. They offer very good audio quality with a lot of features set.

However, I personally believe that for true TV immersion, you atleast need a 5:1 set up i.e R,L, C and two rear speakers placed on top. That is the reason I suggested LG, since you can obtain this within your budget. You can buy that and forget. Sound bar listening is not critical like a stero set up where sound and only sound quality matters and you feel the bug to upgrade.

Rest is upto you. Also I agree with some FM that a dedicated AVR + Passive speakers are better, but with the quoted budget you are better served with a 5:1 sound bar from LG. Remember those rear speakers are the key.

Also, online reviews can be misleading so take them with a pinch of salt. If possible do your own auditioning.

Lastly, if you want to really have something and forget, see if you can lay your hands on a demo piece/used or discounted, Samsung q990b. That will stretch your budget but is phenomenal for a soundbar. Newly launched SONY HT series is equally good but priced to high. Same is the story of Sonus and Bose's top dogs.

All the best.

I agree. That and better integration with Sony TVs. However, a lot of reviews say Polk has better dialogue clarity over Sony. If that is true, I would go with better dialogue clarity over sound stage.

Also a lot of Indian movies, don't have a very clear sound stage. I hope I'm wrong though.
This particular Polk model was the best for dialogue clarity in 2022, JBL Bar 500 in 2023 and Samsung HW Q990 C & Q930C are the best ones in 2024- as per 'rtings' reviews. JBL one is within 50K while these Samsung ones are very expensive. So you can check the other Samsung HW Q- series models that come in your budget.

Samsung Q series is specifically designed for Samsung QLED TVs, atleast that is what the sales guy at the Samsung store told me. JBL Bar 500 is good option. Thanks for the suggestion.

Samsung Q series is specifically designed for Samsung QLED TVs, atleast that is what the sales guy at the Samsung store told me. JBL Bar 500 is good option. Thanks for the suggestion.
SONY HT-S500RF, old is gold model, for your SONY TV, around 35K.

I really like the JBL Bar 500 option now. It seems to have good dialogue clarity and bass. Good reviews. Google Assistant and Alexa integration. HDMI CEC support.

I’m not sure how Polk and JBL compare in terms of durability and reliability in the long term.

Polk Audio Mini AX costing 47.5k
Polk Audio Max AX costing 84k
JBL Bar 500 costing 46.3k

I’ll go to a local store to experience all the options.

I really like the JBL Bar 500 option now. It seems to have good dialogue clarity and bass. Good reviews. Google Assistant and Alexa integration. HDMI CEC support.

I’m not sure how Polk and JBL compare in terms of durability and reliability in the long term.

Polk Audio Mini AX costing 47.5k
Polk Audio Max AX costing 84k
JBL Bar 500 costing 46.3k

I’ll go to a local store to experience all the options.

JBL has more easily available service centre. If you are confused, that should be the deciding factor.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back