Marantz 4002 Auto Setup questions

ma5yk

I purchased a new Marantz 4002 receiver and ran auto-setup. After multi runs of the auto-setup...

- The front speaker sizes are set sometimes Large, sometimes Small. (I have Wharfedale 9.5 + 9.CM)
- The distances are totally out of whack. (Speakers are about 15 feet from the listening position.) The distance is setup from 2 feet to 15 feet.
- The sub isn't detected at all. No sound comes during the setup so the receiver sets it as None and the crossover is set at 100hz. The crossover on the sub (Sub 150) is set at the lowest setting of 35hz so as to let the receiver handle the bypass and the volume on the sub is at half. The sub is working when playing a movie and I've manually changed the sub to Yes in the receiver.

Can anyone comment on why this may be happening?

Well don't everybody start talking at once. :)

The sub issue is cleared, as in it's being detected now. Turned out to be a loose cable-connector.

Any tips on the auto-setup issues I've posted?

Thanks.

I purchased a new Marantz 4002 receiver and ran auto-setup. After multi runs of the auto-setup...
- The front speaker sizes are set sometimes Large, sometimes Small. (I have Wharfedale 9.5 + 9.CM)
- The distances are totally out of whack. (Speakers are about 15 feet from the listening position.) The distance is setup from 2 feet to 15 feet.

It is good that the sub woofer problem has been resolved. Let me try some wild shots regarding your other issues.

• Is your room quite? Are there any external noises. If so, you may have to try the auto calibration in the middle of the night when ambient noises have died down.
  • Usually if the auto calibration senses a sub woofer, it will set all other speakers as small. Since your sub woofer is being sensed now, hopefully, if you use the MRAC again, it will set the speakers properly.
  • Are you using a mike in your sitting position? The mike has to be in the position of your ears when you are sitting. This will be 3 to 4 feet above the ground depending upon what kind of seating arrangement you have. It should not be placed on the ground.
  • Position the mike some 6 feet (from the front speakers) in various distances such as 7, 8, 9 feet so on and see what results you get. If beyond a certain distance, MRAC starts misbehaving, maybe the mike is sensitive only up to a certain distance.
  • Please position the mike without any blockages between the mike and the speaker. If the MRAC auto calibration senses some blockage, it will miscalculate the distance. Also severe sound reflections could create distortions that the mike will pick up. If possible when doing the next auto calibration, see if you can hang large and thick curtains on the side walls.
  • Is these any glass item between the speaker and the mike such as a center table or something? It will be better to remove them.
  • Just recheck that the speakers cables have been connected properly at both ends - red to red and black to black.
  • If you are using bi-amp/bi-wire capable speakers, ensure that the bridges (metal straps) between the posts are in place. Also check with the speaker manual if you have connected the cables to the correct pair of binding posts - the top pair or the bottom pair.
  • Is these are cap, baffle, or something similar that is placed in the speaker's firing ports? Please remove them and try again.
  • Do a compete manual reset of the AVR and try the auto calibration again.

If none of these helps you, there is no harm is specifying the speaker setting manually. It could be something as simple as a software bug in the MRAC calibration routine.

Cheers

It is good that the sub woofer problem has been resolved. Let me try some wild shots regarding your other issues.

• Is your room quite? Are there any external noises. If so, you may have to try the auto calibration in the middle of the night when ambient noises have died down.
    Yes, my room is quiet and the MRAC passes ambient noise levels.
  • Usually if the auto calibration senses a sub woofer, it will set all other speakers as small. Since your sub woofer is being sensed now, hopefully, if you use the MRAC again, it will set the speakers properly.
    Nope, didn't work.
  • Are you using a mike in your sitting position? The mike has to be in the position of your ears when you are sitting. This will be 3 to 4 feet above the ground depending upon what kind of seating arrangement you have. It should not be placed on the ground.
    Yes, I placed a large carboard box on my sofa and put the mic on top.
  • Position the mike some 6 feet (from the front speakers) in various distances such as 7, 8, 9 feet so on and see what results you get. If beyond a certain distance, MRAC starts misbehaving, maybe the mike is sensitive only up to a certain distance.
    This I've got to try. You may have something going here.
  • Please position the mike without any blockages between the mike and the speaker. If the MRAC auto calibration senses some blockage, it will miscalculate the distance. Also severe sound reflections could create distortions that the mike will pick up. If possible when doing the next auto calibration, see if you can hang large and thick curtains on the side walls.
    No blockages, but sound reflection is a distinct possibility. Room is concrete, sized at 20 ft long x 15 ft wide. Curtains I have put up, but they can be placed only on one long end of the wall maybe 10 ft across.
  • Is these any glass item between the speaker and the mike such as a center table or something? It will be better to remove them.
    None. Room is empty besides sofa at one end and screen at the other.
  • Just recheck that the speakers cables have been connected properly at both ends - red to red and black to black.
    That was the first thing I double-checked.
  • If you are using bi-amp/bi-wire capable speakers, ensure that the bridges (metal straps) between the posts are in place. Also check with the speaker manual if you have connected the cables to the correct pair of binding posts - the top pair or the bottom pair.
    Ditto.
  • Is these are cap, baffle, or something similar that is placed in the speaker's firing ports? Please remove them and try again.
    None.
  • Do a compete manual reset of the AVR and try the auto calibration again.
    Did that too.

If none of these helps you, there is no harm is specifying the speaker setting manually. It could be something as simple as a software bug in the MRAC calibration routine.
The bug is what it may be if nothing works.
Cheers

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll get back at you when I'm done with anything that I've missed.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back