marantz a/v receivers

Hi PNREDKAR!!
I would like to know more about your CA 540.
What kind of equipment have you connected to it? What is the size of your room?
I have not met many people who own a CA receiver. I am quite eager to know about its capabilities for movies/music.

I have connected a run-of-the-mill Sony progressive DVD player via coax for sound and currently connected Quad 11Ls for stereo 2.0 sound. Excellent combination for both music and movies. I plan to add a sub-woofer next followed by a center channel speaker.

The movie experience I described in my earlier post, however was related to my auditioning at the dealer. The connected speakers then were the MS Avant speakers.

If you are interested in sound quality over features, it is a must audition receiver. I selected it over Marantz and others.

Regards,
Prasad.

Thanks to all of you, sorry to interrupt you in your heated discussion.
Could you please tell me the best 7.1 ch av receivers of all these four

Yamaha,
onkyo
marantz and
denon

under 60k.

I started with 40k few days back now after extensively browsing i have increased to 60k.

I need both music and movies.( to use in whatever little time I have and whatever little time I get when the wife is not there)

at present I have yamaha v 450 6.1 ch

I need higher than that.

at the same time two floor standers to go with.

around 60 k for the speakers.

sub 25 - 30 k.

please I am sitting in a small place depending on only av max and now net.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Yamaha,
onkyo
marantz and
denon

I need higher than that.

sub 25 - 30 k.

Thanks in advance

Pradski, I may get beaten by a lot of members here, but here goes.

For good music and movies, Denon and Marantz will be better. For good movie sound and reasonable music, Yamaha and Onkyo will be better.

Now a bit of homework for you. Go through the websites of these companies and choose some models that you feel are good. Look for products costing around 750 to 1000 US$. The logic I am using is I US$ = 60INR. So your 60K should get you a 1000 dollar AVR. Come with four to 6 models you like in terms of specs, and we will shortlist the exact model for you to buy.

Fair enough?

Regarding speakers, the safest bet may be to go in for the Wharfedale Diamond 9 series. Sreekanth (Soundsgreat) and I both feel this is good. The combination should be

2 x 9.5 (25K)
2 x DFS for surround (14K)
2 x 9.1 for rear (8K)
1 x 9CS for center (12K)

This comes to roughly 60K. You can also pick up the SW150 or the SW 150 sub within your budget.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Cheers

Hi Venkat :

Have been offered a good deal on Marantz SR8002 AV Reciever, any idea about its capabilities for music as well as movies(future 5.1 upgrade)? This will be paired with Marantz CD7001 CD Player and Quad 12L2. For the movies, have a Samsung DVD Player 250K and don't have any plans of upgrading for the present.

Hi Arun,

In case you do buy the Marantz, could you please post a review of how well it integrates with the Quad 12L2s? I am planning to go in for a similar Marantz-Quad setup in the future, because I feel the warm Marantz sound will balance the detailed and clinical presentation of the Quads. Your impressions will help in deciding whether there is any merit in the combination. I can then go for a critical listening session later.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Venkat :

Have been offered a good deal on Marantz SR8002 AV Reciever, any idea about its capabilities for music as well as movies(future 5.1 upgrade)? This will be paired with Marantz CD7001 CD Player and Quad 12L2. For the movies, have a Samsung DVD Player 250K and don't have any plans of upgrading for the present.

Arun:

The 8002 is top-of-the-line in Marantz's line up of AVRs. It has the following features

• Crystal 192/24 Crystal DACs.
  • Two additional zones
  • THX Select2 certification that includes THX Re-EQ to tame brightened soundtracks, Timbre Matching to compensate for the way your hear from different parts of the room, and THX Adaptive Decorrelation that helps a 5.1 system sound spacious. .
  • M-Dax to decomp[ress MP3 music.
  • Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding via HDMI
  • Support for SACD and DVD-A
  • Pure Direct and Source Direct for listening to CD music.

The Marantz CD7001 is an award winning CDP, particularly the EISA award for 2006. It also plays SACD. Coupled with the 8002 AVR, you will be able to listen to excellent music from your CD collection. The CDP has better DAC, and you should allow the CDP to do the digital-to-analog conversion.

The AVR will also decode and play all movie sounds extremely well. Some of the reviews I have read say that the movie sounds of the 8002 is top notch.

The Quads are excellent speakers and the combination will really be very good.

The only area that the Marantz AVR is lacking in is video processing. This should not matter much. Just buy a good DVD Player that upscales to full 1080P, and you have really complete system that will serve you well.

Hi Venkat;

Thanks for the prompt response. Am hoping to get them in the next ten days or so. Shall keep you posted then. Thanks again.

Hi Ajinkya:

Yes, Quad and Marantz should make an awesome combination. Keeping my fingers crossed for the electronics!!!

Dear Venkat,

Thank you for your reply and advice.
First of all I am an amateur in this, and all I can do is appreciate music and I listen to all types.
I have few queries.

I have browsed for quite some time. And I have read quite a lot, of course lot of your opinions also.

< I basically wanted to have receivers and speakers who can give a clear sound in the lowest possible volume. What i mean is for eg: my yamaha 450 with a claimed 100w/ch, has a reading of vol of -70 to +25dB. But when i give vol, min I have to increase to -45 to be audible. The spectrum of 25dB from -70 to -45 is not audible.
I was thinking avr is not capable of driving the speakers at such low vol. Like you asked me in other thread why particular about 150 w/ch. I was thinking higher the power better they can sound in lower volumes. ( Don't they all cost more if they are more powered ?). Who can produce this type of sound. OR which combination can achieve this. ?? >

Now the other ? is

You have Onkyo 875 which is more than 90 k. And Wharfedale 9.5 which is around 35k.

Why you have not bought something equivalent to your higher avr.

The question is a mid segment avr can reproduce good music if only we have good speakers, which will come in high end.

so what is the secret behind your setup.

I saw matsuri today only after I read your post.

Like you asked me I did find 6 to 8 avr s.

Like Denon 2308 and 2808
Pioneer 1016 and 2016 and some of yamaha, marantz 6001 and 7001

I felt for basic guys like us who are like entrant models in av market. Economy and features matter more than the very detailed perfomance of a real audiophile's standard. We may not be able to appreciate to that depth. So mid range should work for us like you suggested.

I found marantz is the ultimate in music segment. yamaha and denon coming next. But not much mention about pioneer which i read good reviews with lot of features. Some are very critical about onkyo.

All these I know just by reading.

Finally I thought of getting the best of the cheap.

Grow up with all you and learn ( which may take at least five years and go for the best at that time )

I did consider pioneer 2016e and denon 2808, with dali ikon 6, polk lsi, b&w cm 7, they are all very expensive and I can as well wait and learn to upgrade few years later.

finally I have decided on Onkyo 606 and

Wharfedale 9 series like you suggested.

Thanks a lot. YOu have been a great help with lot of knowledge and questions for the future.

Last edited:
Pradski,

You are welcome. It gives me real pressure to help someone by sharing my knowledge.

Regarding my choice - well that is a long story. For some time I was torn between Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon. When Onkyo came out last year with their 2007 series of receivers, I wanted to see what their models provided. I auditioned the 875, and I was just floored by their video capabilities, and their sound. Though I could have brought a lower model, I bought the 875 specifically for their video processing capabilities.

In terms of speakers I always had my eyes set on B&W. I had heard their DM303, a diminutive bookshelf that sounded absolutely wonderful even with equipment costing 20 times their prices. Then B&W brought out matching floorstanders called 309 which, in spite of their small size, pumped out base like I have never heard before.

Unfortunately I could not buy the speakers then and had to wait or some time. By the time I was ready to buy, the B&W had been overtaken in technology for that price point.

I started looking around in earnest and came across an US brand called Aperion Audio. I auditioned them and purchased a pair of bookshelves and their center channel. Unfortunately though I was ready to buy their floorstanders I could not find an easy way to bring them to India.

A couple of months ago, I auditioned the Wharfedale 9.5 with a two channel amplifier (Pulz) and a Yamaha CDP. I was immediately stuck by the capability of the speaker to create a holographic image of the sound particularly with Indian music. I can never forget the way the speaker floated the sound of the Veena right next to my ear. I immediately ordered for the 9.5, and that is how I have my set up.

In terms of a sub I had already purchased a Hsu Research sub woofer. At 500$, there are very few subs that can beat the Hsu.

I am now in the process of replacing the Aperion Audio's with an all Wharfedale set.

I am not bothered much about brand or price. I just buy what my heart tells me.

Mitsuri is good, is it not? You should listen to other albums of Kitaro's. He is really very very good.

Cheers

A couple of months ago, I auditioned the Wharfedale 9.5 with a two channel amplifier (Pulz) and a Yamaha CDP. I was immediately stuck by the capability of the speaker to create a holographic image of the sound particularly with Indian music. I can never forget the way the speaker floated the sound of the Veena right next to my ear. I immediately ordered for the 9.5, and that is how I have my set up.

I am now in the process of replacing the Aperion Audio's with an all Wharfedale set.

Venkat, you've put it spot on! I have the 9.5's hooked to a Yamaha 661, and all Classical music we listen to in pure-direct mode, is sheer bliss. Its like sitting in a live concert! Any specific CDs you auditioned in Indian music ?

cheers!
Srini

Srini:

I have a quite a large collection of Indian music - Hindustani and Carnatic, in addition to of course, film music :).

But, just for your information, some of my favourite CDs for auditioning are the following:

1. Voyage 1 and Voyage 2 by Rajesh Vaidhya
2. Carnatic Classical on Various Instruments by Magnasound featuring Jalatharang by A.S Dhandapani, Veena by E. Gayathri, Harmonium by Venkatramanna Rao, Mandolin by U Srinivas, Saxophone by Kadri, Flute by Sikkil Sisters, Violin by Ganesh & Kumaresh. This CD, in particular is very good as it has various instruments in one CD and is well recorded.
3. Music Today's CD featuring TN Krishnan playing Maha Ganapathi, Mari Vere, Raghuvamsa Sudha, Sarasaksha - Pantuvarali, Parulanna Mata, and Ramanai Taruvoy.
4. Magnasound's melody & Rythm featuring Sangeetha Shankar, and Zakir Hussain.
5. Magnasound's 'The Best Selection from Hindustani Classical' featuring Hariprasad Chaurasia, Allahrakha, Zakir Hussain, Sangeetha Shankar, Pt. Ulhas Bapat, Narayan Mani, Pt. Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Pt Shivkumar Sharma.

One CD that I just love is Ravi Shankar's 'Raga Mala' that he plays along with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Zubin Mehta. This is the only CD in the world that has a 100 man orchestra playing Lalit, Bairagi, Yaman Kalyan, and Mian Ki Malhar. Ravi is accompanied by Allarakha on the tabla.

Cheers

Thanks to all of you, sorry to interrupt you in your heated discussion.

Yamaha,
onkyo
marantz and
denon

under 60k.

I started with 40k few days back now after extensively browsing i have increased to 60k.

I need both music and movies.( to use in whatever little time I have and whatever little time I get when the wife is not there)

I need higher than that.

sub 25 - 30 k.

Thanks in advance

Hi pradski

Your situation sounds very similar to mine! Movies vs. music, budgets etc. etc. I have been reading, researching and getting more confused for the past 6-8 months on the same lines. Started with a budget of 60k for the entire HT system and have loosened my strings quite a bit since then.

Coming back to your question on the receivers, it finally comes down to personal choice. Out of the 4 you've mentioned, I have demoed all except the Yam. My opinion was that the Onkyo sounded too brash so was ruled out. Between the Marantz and the Denon there was little to give. I felt that the Marantz was a little better in balancing music AND movies than the Denon. You can do a feature comparison but remember that most of the time there are several bells and whistles that are thrown in in terms of specs, but 90% of these are ones that you rarely use. Look for the ones that matter to you the most and finally, hear them out. Whenever we talk about receivers, the speakers they are used with obviously make a huge difference. So make sure you get a good set of speakers as well.

Personally I have put my money in the Marantz 7002 paired with the Mordaunt Short 900i plus the Bravia 40" W-400 and the DVP 708 upscaling DVD player. The panel and the player are in and I'm waiting for the audio to get the whole thing running! Can't wait ..........:D

Thank you venkat and yog.

Infact i took off the other day just to hunt for speakers in bangalore.

I saw jamo, klipsch, elac and wharfedale 9.6. There was a B & W along with 9.6 it was good but it was 99k. And 9.6 had good sound for that price compared to klip, jamo.

Finally I bought 9.6 for 33.6k. I hope that is the decent price.

I got it in vector bangalore. I am waiting for delivery.

Yog I also thought of 7002 but i could see marantz in the places I visited nobody had brochures also.

I thought of driving 9.6 with existing yamaha and do some more r & d buy later.

Please let me know how is 7002 and the price of that.

What do you think about these receivers

Pioneer 1016,
Yamaha 663
Denon 2308
onkyo 606,

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi

Marantz is expected to release some Czech model i think it is sr 6003

Price is going to be like 6001, Full details not yet browsed.

Has anybody got a clue about this.

Last edited:
Yog I also thought of 7002 but i could see marantz in the places I visited nobody had brochures also.

I thought of driving 9.6 with existing yamaha and do some more r & d buy later.

Please let me know how is 7002 and the price of that.

What do you think about these receivers

Pioneer 1016,
Yamaha 663
Denon 2308
onkyo 606,

Thank you

You can very well drive the Wharfedales with the RX-V450 and buy a new receiver a bit later. To get good picture, just buy a upscaling DVD player and connect it directly to the TV for a superb picture, and to the AVR for a superb sound.

If you have decided to buy a new AVR, I would choose one from Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon. Though Pioneer has had some success in 2006 and 2007, the other three brands have left everybody else far behind in terms of technology and competitiveness.

Between the three which one. This question is best answered by you after audition of all three.

I dd read Yog saying he found the Onkyo harsh. But the 606 is selling like hot cakes, and certainly deserves a listen.

Cheers

Hi

Marantz is expected to release some Czech model i think it is sr 6003

Price is going to be like 6001, Full details not yet browsed.

Has anybody got a clue about this.

Marantz is launching their entire '03 lineup of receivers. You can find the 4003 and the 5003 already on the US websites. I think they will be available in India starting October.

With this new lineup, on a feature-feature comparison, they are on par with the Denons and the Onkyos & are at a competitive price. Also bear in mind that Marantz is the only receiver with a 3 year warranty ... says a lot!

I dd read Yog saying he found the Onkyo harsh. But the 606 is selling like hot cakes, and certainly deserves a listen.

Cheers

venkatcr, I do agree that the 606 is selling like hot cakes! In terms of features :: price I think it still is one of the highest among all these brands. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, it ultimately boils down to what features you need and not what is provided! What I meant by harsh is that movies are LOUD (I know some people like it that way :)) and music is not very ... musical :) Finally it boils down to personal choice of course ... Cheers!

What are the realistic street prices (with b/w) of
Marantz SR 301
Marantz SR 3001
Marantz SR 4001/4002

I think I've seen the 3001 at eZone for around 25K. But Marantz receivers are not listed in the futurebazaar site.

Thank you venkat and Yog for all the information.

Since i have been using yamaha 6.1 100w/c. I am not able to appreciate it well. May be after I receive my new diamond 9.6 i will be able to tell how they are.

I am thinking of trying denon this time. Lets see.

What you guys think should be the decent power output of a avr for a non dedicated room. ( it can be anything to a room to living room.)

Is more power good.

SHUVC, it is difficult to get the price of marantz online in india.

I have also tried invain.

Unlike denon, onkyo which can be found in sumaria.in or profx.com

Even av max and what's hi fi magazines do not give the price of marantz.

best if you live in metro. visit a dealer.

Last edited:
Back