Marantz AV 8003 and MM 8003

If thats the way you are looking at the situation then in that case Klipch and Monitor Audio might do wonders to your setup. Since Klipch come with horn loaded drivers so they tend to sound bright.
To confuse you further also check out Mordaunt Short Mezzo Series as they have aspirated tweeters so they might click.

David, I am again requesting that before you seal the Marantz's inside a mental coffin and write them off, work with people like Cranky and Asit to see if something can be done to change the sound signature that you hear.

I had a similar situation some time ago when I was installing a Denon 2310. When I installed it in a large room, the sound was 'dull' and 'boring' as you described. I knew the Denon had more capabilities than that and kept working on it till I found some really stupid things I had left out. The sound after that was transformed.

With over 140 watts of what Marantz calls 'real deal' power, the MM8003 amp should be able to drive most speakers easily. The combination has won many awards.

And Cranky, the processor does seem to have XLR out for all channels, so that should not be an issue.

Cheers

Last edited:
yeah david..like venkat sir says..its a power tank..my 6003 beats the heck out of my wharfs till the windows and doors rattle..kindly check the connections again and run the auto setup with audessy...or some little dumb switch at the back to be meddled with..dont write off a marantz..that too 8003 !!

Can David take the output from the pre/pro and just put it in one of the inputs of this amp? Then he has to be careful about volume knobs, because both volume knobs (of the pre/pro and of the integrated) will be in work..

Just FYI but I believe the volume pot of the Integrated is disabled when a power-in is plugged into the rca socket. Since the volume knob works on the pre section which gets de-activated ...

But now I am very much disappointed with the lack of Thump. Its very Musical combination but sometimes you feel very boring if its too soft for Movies.. Its not the lack of bass which I am concern , there is no excitement in this combo. Its Boring sometimes.

I have a Rotel 1070 Power amplifier ( 150 watts ) and I have tried using the AV 8003 with the 1070. It plays loud but not energetic. I would not say that the marantz Combo is bad , but it lacks the thump and excitement.

Hello
How much do you crank the volume knob to get any decent volume out? If it is loud enough at low volume settings with good dynamics, it may not be the power section. A poor preamp can introduce dullness, lack of energetic sound and boredom. Are the transients blunted?

Regards

Just FYI but I believe the volume pot of the Integrated is disabled when a power-in is plugged into the rca socket. Since the volume knob works on the pre section which gets de-activated ...

Yes, that's true for integrateds with a pre-out and power-in sections like Nads. But in my HK and also in my Leben such options are not present. So one has to take the output of the pre-amp/preprocessor and put it into the line-level inputs (for example, the CD-input) of the integrated amp, as I indicated in my post. Here both volume knobs will be operative.

Regards.

dvdmk
As Venkat said, the best thing to do is to contact Cranky and take your components to his place. If (by chance) there is something wrong with your power amp, that may come out too, but as you mentioned, chances are that trying another speaker pairing might get you a better/different perspective

cheers

DVD MK

-this is hard/disheartening :sad: to believe,but with your experience v got to take it

-the AV8003/MM8003 is rated among the top/reference stuff , and even compared to the top end dennon pre/pro/power

-MM8003 is an 8 channel 23kg amp!!( but yes some users/reviews do say that the power amp may be the weak link here ,its said that it wud have been a more powerful amp if it was only 5 or 7 channel rather than the provided 8 channels), but the AV8003 is supposed to be a class apart

-plz chk out the combo with different spkrs

-kindly google Marantz Firmware upgrades for the AV8003 ,there have been a few updates for the Audio Codecs , this can be done by connecting the AV8003 directly to the internet via the RS32 port @ the rear of the AV8003

-Am sure u cud be missing something here as its hard to believe u cud have gone wrong with the AV8003, this one is a very popular model running into 3yrs of production without any replacement .

Hi Cranky and Asit , Where you people live in Kokatta , I live in Baruipur. If you are free in weekends I can take my combo and try it in your place. Hope I am not disturbing you. As far as the connections, they are all perfect. I have been using Stereo and HT for the past 15 or so years and i have done all possible way to rectify this. Again this Combo is not BAD but the sound is very very soft for a HT. I need some energy and more detail. Can i do something about this. Subash have you heard this combo? If so with what speakers? Any members or Dealer who have this combo , whats the speakers you are using for this?

Thanks
David.

david , the combo wud have been in my set up within a couple of days ,but with your thread coming out @ the right time ------its --------doubtful, unless i try to take a listen before going ahead

kindly hear the Marantz Combo before buying, If you like your HT to be very Warm and Soft then the Marantz is for you , but if you love loud and Detailed sound then kindly look at some other options.

David.

Asit lives in Salt Lake. I live in New Alipore. I'm fine any day of the week as long as you give me a day's advance notice. Please shoot me a PM and I'll send you my contact number.

Asit is expected at my house this Saturday (to be confirmed) so it's a good chance to get us all in the same room. Let me know, and let's take the meeting discussion on PM and leave the thread open for more discussion on the electronics.

The Marantz is no slouch. It is sure to be a pretty good buy because it is reference level. When you come over we will test the pre and power separately and together, I have enough equipment to make all of that happen. The only problem is that I live on the Third Floor and there is no lift, so hauling 20+ kilos up stairs is going to be an issue. We'll need some muscle power :) and don't depend on me for that because I probably weigh less than the processor/power amp combined.

this is getting very interesting, hope u guys cud come up with something good , waiting for your posts/finding as eagerly as David

Hi David,

As you already know I live in the Salt Lake area.

Cranky, I am confirming that I am coming to your place on Saturday afternoon. It could be also morning, but I prefer the afternoon so that we have more time.

David, Try to make it there this Saturday. Cranky's place is the best for doing tests because he has everything lined up for this sort of activity. On the other hand, I have absoluetly no problem hosting you people here at my place. We live on the 6th floor, and we have an elevator :) and that's how Cranky and Arup could bring those heavy (20 kg each) speaker stands to my place.

Regards.

Thank you Asit and Cranky for the invitation. I will ask my son if he is free this week and since its a long travel from Bairupur , I need my son to drive and also to carry the amp to the 3rd floor. I will inform you guys by PM. Hope that coming along with my son will not disturb you.

David.

Hi David,

Please do not forget to bring the user manuals of the equipments or any other literature that accompanied them. Cranky will sure have on-line access ready at hand, but still it's better to have them readily available. And, I think having some young muscles in our resources can only help matters. What do you say, Cranky?

Regards.

Hi Everyone,

I dont know if i could make it tomorrow ( 2-1-2010) , If my son is free I will call Cranky and confirm his presence and start from my place. If not will try to meet you people next week. Any ways I will call you before coming. Cranky I have sent you a PM please check.

Thanks and Happy New Year to every one.
David.

Hi David,

If you decide to come with your pre/pro and amp to Cranky's place this afternoon, please come with your favorite music CDs that you already heard on this combo and were not satisfied with. I am sure you were going to do this any way, but I thought I'd remind you about this so that arrangements could be as foolproof as possible.

Regards.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back