Marantz CD 63 SE vd CD 63 KI vs CD6000 OSE KI vs NAD C542 Need urgent opinion

madbullram

God,
I never learn, all was decided with Marantz CD 63 SE as my CDP. I heard the 63 SE though I liked NAD C541 a tad better as it was more true to the recording but was fine with 63 SE.

My friend had it and was selling it so got it from him. He was supposed to get it down from UK when he comes next month,

Now, this guys calls me and says, in his circle he has the following for sale:

CD 63 KI, 6000 OSE KI, and NAD C542.

Now, I am stuck, I have not heard the above players, 63 KI is least expense and 6000 is the most but all four are within my budget.

I read all reviews and I am more confused, can all you saviors help me which is a better player?

This will most probably be paired with a NAD C 350

Hi madbullram,

I have not heard all those KI CDPs from Marantz. Usually Marantz CDPs are good and generally reliable, but I have heard the Nad C542 CDP a lot and for the price it used to sell (aprox 30K), it is a very very good player. If the condition is good, I would not worry too much about buying it. Has a smooth sound with enough details to please anybody, I'd think. Anm in our forum has the 542 and you could ask him too. Dinyaar perhaps also owned it in the past.

Regards.

the C542....it's lovely! The CD63Se is an excellent player as well, but it's older and the sound is on the bright side of neutral, the C542 the sound is more neutral and full bodied....it's a lovely CDP.....don't let it go.....

actually, as a standalone CD player while I would definitely prefer the NAD, when paired with an NAD amp there might be some merit in the CD63SE . I use a CD63SE - NAD C320BEE combination and i find it works really well through the fairly neutral Usher speakers that I use. The NAD amps are politely described as warm and not so politely as veiled.....and the slight brightness of the Marantz cuts through this warmth/veil quite nicely, whereas the more balanced sound of the NAD might not. I know I am adding to the confusion here sorry!

Hi MBR,
Have only heard the 63SE many years ago with god knows what gear and its very difficult to carry forward an accurate opinion. HAd liked it but liked it in comparison to what I owned at the time I guess.
I would omit the 6000 OSE though the 63 KI may be a good bet.
The safest option for me would be the Nad C542. It is a nice sounding player. YEs Asit i did own it and sold it to a fellow forum member in bglore. Have mentioned earlier that it had a few issues i.e it never read a disc the first time I power the unit on, and sometimes the drawer had a mind of its own. Was told i needed to upgrade a DIODE which I did and then the problems were almost resolved.
A used 542 goes for about 10/12 K.
Rgds

.....and the slight brightness of the Marantz cuts through this warmth/veil quite nicely, whereas the more balanced sound of the NAD might not. I know I am adding to the confusion here sorry!

I feel the same with my marantz cd6002. At the same the this model SQ has very nice body and tone. it would be the ultra-perfect budget player only that the 640C v2 beats it in timing and separation (but lacks the musicality of the marantz in turn). The marantz delivers the sound with a slight edge (not edgy) that adds Zing to the SQ.

Cheers

Thanks guys, even I am in for NAD but I am just worried about ability to get parts since I have never a NAD in India, whereas Marantz parts not a problem.

Dinyaar: Why do you says omit CD6000 OSE KI? any particular reason?

I read some outstanding reviews for it in tntaudio

btw: How I miss my Arcam CDP :(

Yes MBR there is a TNT review maybe some ten years ago on the cdp. Cant remember the contents though.
It was a 'modders' delight.
I would say a Marantz 7001 will beat it for me.
Recently a friend bought a used one from a grey vendor in bbay. The trebles were too sharp, un natural and thin sound. The modern 6002 may not be as clean but it has some body which is something i look for.
For me the great Cyrus cdp was a headache!!!! Preferred my old NAd but by then it was sold.
Arcam is SUPERB. Pray why did u sell it?
Rgds

Yes MBR there is a TNT review maybe some ten years ago on the cdp. Cant remember the contents though.
It was a 'modders' delight.
I would say a Marantz 7001 will beat it for me.
Recently a friend bought a used one from a grey vendor in bbay. The trebles were too sharp, un natural and thin sound. The modern 6002 may not be as clean but it has some body which is something i look for.
For me the great Cyrus cdp was a headache!!!! Preferred my old NAd but by then it was sold.
Arcam is SUPERB. Pray why did u sell it?
Rgds

Dinyaar, I dont think he sold it. He lost his hi fi gear in some shipping accident!

Hi again,
NO am not saying the 63 SE is better than the 63KI.
See all are players which were considered great a few years ago and its tough to recollect sound. Frankly we all had most of these players (i bought 2 pre owned) and they played flawlessly.
Generally a KI is always better. Am not being model specific here but better caps,boards, power distr, chassis should ensure better sound!
The only recent time i heard an old marantz was the 6000 OSE as i mentioned and it was a let down.

Take the Nad. There is a 'body' to the sound and there is no over enthusiastic treble. I dont see a problem to fix the Nad at all in case u ever need service.
Rgds

"I think in Marantz the best selling CD player ever was the CD63 Mk II KI. The number we sold was unbelievable worldwide I think we sold almost 300k and that was really very unique. I know from a purely scientific point of view that CD player was not neutral but it was very musical, very balanced. People recognised that and then it got very popular. I think we sold almost 300k (units). That player was very popular so we could just continue producing it." - Ken Ishiwata

You can find a rather excited impression here.

i love the reviews in 'the star'. they all sounds so passionate and involved....there's a feel you get in these reviews that you don't get anywhere else. Of course they're purely subjective, but they're almost always a pleasure to read.

"I think in Marantz the best selling CD player ever was the CD63 Mk II KI. The number we sold was unbelievable worldwide I think we sold almost 300k and that was really very unique. I know from a purely scientific point of view that CD player was not neutral but it was very musical, very balanced. People recognised that and then it got very popular. I think we sold almost 300k (units). That player was very popular so we could just continue producing it." - Ken Ishiwata

You can find a rather excited impression here.

Madbullram,
I second Dinyaar. I have used both Marantz 6000 OSE and Nad C542. With Marantz the highs were sharp, sometimes too much for ears. Whereas Nad had better resolution, imaging and deeper bass. For me, Nad was a step up from Marantz.
Regards
Vasu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back