Marantz DV-7600

flat_listener

Hope the forum can find an answer to this,

Hey guys, as the thread title implies I have a Marantz DV7600 (bought second hand few years back), which I use for playing CD's, and my (very small) SACD collection. For years all was well and good in this world.

Then, suddenly, the player stopped reading disks... I've tried to contact Marantz for some assistance or service and they are completely unforthcoming.

So I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any ideas about what's causing this and/or how to fix it. Simply unplugging the unit and "resetting" it doesn't help. Thanks to anyone willing to take a shot at this...

Hey guys, as the thread title implies I have a Marantz DV7600 (bought second hand few years back), which I use for playing CD's, and my (very small) SACD collection. For years all was well and good in this world.

Then, suddenly, the player stopped reading disks... I've tried to contact Marantz for some assistance or service and they are completely unforthcoming.

So I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any ideas about what's causing this and/or how to fix it. Simply unplugging the unit and "resetting" it doesn't help. Thanks to anyone willing to take a shot at this...

If the service center is not forthcoming then if someone could guide you to a good repairer in your area would be better. I think there was a thread of repairers some time back if I am not mistaken.

That's annoying, sorry to hear that.

First, I would open the drawer while the player is plugged in to give you access to the laser lens when the top cover is removed. Then I would unplug it and remove the top cover of the unit. Then I would use a bud with some rubbing alcohol to gently wipe the lens a few times. I did that on two prior CD players.
The problem went away immediately and the players were fine for another few years.

All this assumes there is not some other problem with it that has little to do with the laser.

Some info here that may be of interest:

Laserology

Thanks for responding. I'm not a great believer in repairs in this day and age. The cost is discouraging. Not to mention the palaver of boxing it up, mailing it, then getting it back and finding it still doesn't work.

I am considering buying a new player, or maybe a good used one. Or maybe even both, one as standby!

Is a BD player a more reliable bet? (I'm assuming BD plays CDs.) Are these types of machine less likely to conk out on me in a short space of time... any recommended machines?

Is a BD player a more reliable bet? (I'm assuming BD plays CDs.) Are these types of machine less likely to conk out on me in a short space of time... any recommended machines?

I have the Pioneer bdp 180 which for the last 2.5 years was being used for watching movies and listening to music CD's. It reads hires files like FLAC and wave files too as per it's specs but not sure if it reads Sacd's.
It is a very reliable player and has read almost all the CD's without any fuss as compared to the Marantz cd 6006 which has not read 2 CD's from my collection. The sound from its dac is not bad but the cd 6006 has more details, punchy and is noticeably better Maybe you can use your Amplifier's dac if it is good by using a digital cable.
One big advantage of using a bdp player apart from cd play back is that when you are using it's usb port with a pen drive or a hard disk for MP3,/wav/ flac playback , you can see the entire index with all the folders on the TV screen which makes it very easy to navigate and choose a particular song . A cd player won't show that. It will just play them and you may have to see on the small display for navigation which you may or may not see.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. I'm not a great believer in repairs in this day and age. The cost is discouraging. Not to mention the palaver of boxing it up, mailing it, then getting it back and finding it still doesn't work.

I am considering buying a new player, or maybe a good used one. Or maybe even both, one as standby!

I think a BD player will last longer. I use an Oppo 103 which is close to 5 years + and no issues till date for any playback.

Wow! Interesting responses above. Anyway, here's the latest in my mini saga...

This is what happened:

I decided to take the bull by the horns and do something something I have never done before. I followed the advice of
@hydrovac and took the top off the machine.

I have previously been hesitant to do such a thing - my fear was, I might not get the top back on. I thought maybe the screw holes might not meet up (or some such nonsense).

Anyway, I rolled up my sleeves, delved into the toolbox (something I haven't done in recent times) for a screwdriver. I got the top off, ejected the disc tray out and released the lens cover plate. I got the little bottle of cleaning liquid which I use for cleaning my cassette player heads (I'm a bit lo-tech here), a fistful of cotton buds, and started probing. I swabbed (gently) the lens. With the tray out, it was easier to access, but still required a bit of reaching under. I also gave the "rails" a good going over. Dust was not really visible, but the ends of the buds soon got black. I realized also that there was dust on the tray and on the inner edges of the lid. A ball of fluff was wafting around amidst the circuitry. As I progressed I began to feel I was doing something long overdue. A sense of achievement set in.

I got the top back on the machine, reconnected it, and with extreme joy and satisfaction spent the rest of the day listening to CDs, CD-Rs, SACDs, and the dog next door. It was a beautiful day, the sun streaming in through the window... and I had a beer.

Thanks to everyone who has joined me on this thread. If the Marantz conks out again, I'll let you know. But for now, the advice is, for anyone with a similar problem, give cleaning a chance. If it doesn't work, then by all means buy a new machine.

1592800025273.jpeg

1592800498335.jpeg

Great Flat_listener, mission accomplished. Hydrovac's advise was fruitful indeed.

Absolutely Nitin!

A great example of a member's contribution is here... nothing can compare with hearing from real people who have experience with the exact issue you're talking about.
Our forum remain vibrant, engaging and useful to our members.

Thanks @hydrovac... love HFV

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back