Marantz -getting service from authorized channel

Any FM has experience with other Service Center listed here in other cities beside Mumbai? I have Marantz AVR 8002 and it has pretty good sound. I have put a voltage stabilizer with delay in the line to protect surge and fluctuations but still it is good to know the experience at other places except Delhi, where it is already clear that it is not a service center.

There is a big 70 page thread about this on avsforum -
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sr5006-marantz-sr6006-receiver-thread-68.html

You can get all this information 3-4-5 years after something is out. When its new there is no info about what it is like and how it works/fails.
I have seen people remove boards in denons and wrap em in tin foil and bake em in the oven @ 400. There are 1000's of posts about denons random shutdown. The first thing I do when I buy a denon working or not, open it and fix the problem, irrespective of whether it is dead or not.

Same with cars, motorcycles, house hold appliances. If its not 5-10+ years old, and have a few miles on it, I am not interested. About 10 years ago, I arrive home with a motorcycle in parts in the back of my truck and back it in the driveway. My wife is looking at it from upstairs. She then excitedly opens the window and yells ... hey, you'll save a lot of time on this one. Its already apart.

The warranties for these are nearly useless. They will swap a defective part with a similar defective part under warranty, so when the warranty runs out, you will have to pay their exorbitant prices for it. My mitsubishi's transmission dies @ 177,000 miles. I pulled the transmission out, and replaced an internal part with an upgraded part. The warranty replacement will be for the whole transmission. They are happy to replace them under warranty. So when it dies out of warranty, they have you for $5,000.

Worse is when the repair shops work on stuff, and replace stuff that isn't broken, cos you're paying for it. They give a 90 day warranty for their work, and if it dies under that 90 days, then they will try to fix it right, cos otherwise they will have to eat the cost of repair. One of the motorcycle shops in my area used to call me when they fix stuff, and it fails again. Then they call me. Cos they dont have anyone to pay for the repair, so it now has to be right.

Anyway, read that thread on avsforum and see if you can find your symptoms and tell the service center.

Cool.
Srinath.

At one point in time I was keen on picking up the PM5004 amplifier from a very reputed AV dealer in Delhi. I was a returning customer to the chap and he has shared some pretty direct views about the service network for different brands in India. He had warned me about Marantz service repute and explicitly told me about the fact that in case any issue arises, it would have to be sent to Mumbai. This was his feedback 2+ years ago. If the scenario has still not changed, something really is not right.
I have always had a soft corner for Marantz inspite of these issues. Their CD player is an exceptional product. But they need to get their act together regarding their service channel.

I have had a Marantz 5 DVD player. When it worked, it was phenomenal.
Problem was, it only worked for an hour or 2 ~6-8 months apart.
I got it dead. I managed to get it working more by good fortune than anything else.
Then after it worked a hour or 2, I put a home made disk in it. It died.
I worked on it many hours.
Then about 6-8 months later it started working again. I avoided any home made disks.
It died anyway a few hours later. I plan on opening it again ... sometime.
Cool.
Srinath.

I would recommend anyone buying audio/video electronics to invest in a power conditioner if possible. In India we not only have wild swings in voltage but also extremes in frequency. Most power distribution companies cannot provide a steady 50Hz. This plays havoc with all AV equipment.

-----------------------------------------------------
Can you suggested me, a moderately priced, good power conditioner for my Marantz PM6004?

Not just in India, in the US I have seen equipment that was connected to the power grid where the grid was hit by lighning. Insane. All bets are off as to what you may find in it.
We get a ton of lightning strikes around here, lots of un populated areas where the tallest thing is the power transmission tower.
My friend has a chest high steel drum on his property, and he said during hurricane Hugo that drum was hit by lightning. He also says one time when walked out in the hurricane all of a sudden it was nearly perfectly quiet and still. He was in the eye of the hurricane.

Yea I need to get better friends.

I have a monster 5100 - which cost more than the amp its protecting ironically. Hope it works if I ever get hit by lightning.

Cool.
Srinath.

There's a label on the recently purchsed Marantz PM 5004 carton stuck on by MZ Distributors that the warranty will not be honored if the unit is run on an inverter.

Not sure if there will be issues with a sine wave inverter and although my amp is not on an electrical circuit that has backup power, I'd like to clarify.

What you mean inverter ? Inverters convert DC back into AC. You need a step down trafo if you're running a 110 unit on a 220 v supply.
The crazy thing is, almost all amps live entirely on DC, nothing even uses AC in the amp. The clean implementation is to take AC from the wall and step it to the required AC, and then X Root 2 for DC, and regulate it and use it everywhere. But varying voltages = the trafo has to be different. The trafo is the $$$$ part of it usually. That's why the chip amps from china are so cheap. They dont supply a trafo. That's 1/2 the cost right there, plus no chassis, no display, no protect, and no input jacks, switching etc etc.
Anyway they should have made the amp and the power supply in 2 separate chassis with a plug going from one to the other, that way, you can get the amp from anywhere, and source the Power supply locally.
Or like some amps, have a 220 feed in the trafo. But I can see how that is a bit wasted $$$.

Cool.
Srinath.

What you mean inverter ? Inverters convert DC back into AC. You need a step down trafo if you're running a 110 unit on a 220 v supply.
The crazy thing is, almost all amps live entirely on DC, nothing even uses AC in the amp. The clean implementation is to take AC from the wall and step it to the required AC, and then X Root 2 for DC, and regulate it and use it everywhere. But varying voltages = the trafo has to be different. The trafo is the $$$$ part of it usually. That's why the chip amps from china are so cheap. They dont supply a trafo. That's 1/2 the cost right there, plus no chassis, no display, no protect, and no input jacks, switching etc etc.
Anyway they should have made the amp and the power supply in 2 separate chassis with a plug going from one to the other, that way, you can get the amp from anywhere, and source the Power supply locally.
Or like some amps, have a 220 feed in the trafo. But I can see how that is a bit wasted $$$.

Cool.
Srinath.

Sorry, I've been away from the internet realm and hence did not reply earlier.

I was not referring to a step down transformer.

An inverter is something many of us use for an uninterrupted power supply during the frequent power cuts we are blessed with.

Marantz apparently knows this and hence the original question.

Inverters are sometimes pretty dirty power supplies.
Also these fail also from components not able to deliver power, not just from too much power. So maybe there is some merit to that.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hi

there are quite a few who repair Marantz in Mumbai and other parts in India, fortunately I have a few repairers who can resolve any issue should I face one in future...

Could you please care to share some dependable repair shops in Mumbai for AV Receiver. I have an Onkyo one to repair and the authorized service centre is the pits.

hi @efernand1, @AAAP

please let me know contact details of any reliable repairers in mumbai. i have a marantz receiver that needs to be looked at
thanx

Hi

These local repairers are the ones who repair LCDs / LEDs and AVRs....I have till date not faced any issue...touch wood.

Anyone knows about who is the Marantz Authorized service center in Bangalore?
If not, any place that is knowledgeable in Marantz Integrated Amp servicing.

Need to get my unit PM7001 fixed. Blew something inside while trying bi-amping expt.
It switches on, but blinks and goes into standby.

Cheers,
Raghu

Need to get my unit PM7001 fixed. Blew something inside while trying bi-amping expt.

Cheers,
Raghu

4. A G Technologies
Unit No. 15, Ground Floor, Raheja Arcade Complex,
Koramangalam, 7th Block, Near Forum Mall,
Bangalore 560095
Madan Gopal
LAND LINE NO - 080 65622118
MOBILE NO - 9611022118

I would recommend anyone buying audio/video electronics to invest in a power conditioner if possible. In India we not only have wild swings in voltage but also extremes in frequency. Most power distribution companies cannot provide a steady 50Hz. This plays havoc with all AV equipment.

The most useful input on this thread.

Cheers,
Raghu

4. A G Technologies
Unit No. 15, Ground Floor, Raheja Arcade Complex,
Koramangalam, 7th Block, Near Forum Mall,
Bangalore 560095
Madan Gopal
LAND LINE NO - 080 65622118
MOBILE NO - 9611022118

Update:
Amp was serviced at the Marantz service center. The unit is up and running fine.
Very professional service.

Cheers,
Raghu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back