Marantz Model 40n announced

k-pad

So, is 'Made in Japan' really such a big deal in terms of quality and reliability? Or is it just a bragging rights thing?

Also, what are the major differences between the top end of the PM series and the Model series like 30 or 40?
From a cursory glance at specs, the 40's harmonic distortion and signal to noise ratio figures are much lower than the top PM800X, and of course, more power.

Are these and the Made in Japan tag worth all that premium?

Also, the 40s power seems to be lower than the 30s...

Could any owners of PM series or Model 30 also weigh in, please?

So, is 'Made in Japan' really such a big deal in terms of quality and reliability? Or is it just a bragging rights ...
I can't answer the other aspects of your question as I haven't heard Series 30 or 40.
But having moved from 600x to 8006 twins, can vouch for the fact that MiJ is a real deal. In fact the difference is so stark, that describing them is superfluous.
That said, it's not necessary that the same attributes will be applicable to the model(s) you mentioned. FWIW, those are class D.

Only the 30 is.
Oh.. my bad.
Similarities in model numbers and appearance made me think that both are class D.
Being AB, it looks more like an updated 7000N. Which is a good thing.
It's nice to see them back with a higher end AB. With the Reference Series going D, I thought they had completely abandoned AB. Even they mentioned something like that in the interviews after Model 30 release.
Let's see what way it goes under it's new owners.

Wonder when this will launch in India and at what price. If its similar to the 8006 twins (ie ~2 lacs) would it be a better option than buying the PM8006 + ND8006 ? Assuming one doesnt need the CD player. Any thoughts folks ?

Wonder when this will launch in India and at what price. If its similar to the 8006 twins (ie ~2 lacs) would it be a better option than buying the PM8006 + ND8006 ? Assuming one doesnt need the CD player. Any thoughts folks ?

Model 30 is available on Hifimart and I believe 40n would cost possibly close to 3 lacs?

Model 30 is available on Hifimart and I believe 40n would cost possibly close to 3 lacs?
And for some reason, the 30 puts out more power than the 40n. 100w into 8 ohms (with some users saying the true output is way higher) vs 70w...
Wonder why

The 40n is a network streamer with amplifier , whereas the 30 is a pure stereo amplifier. 40n also costs 500$ less.

US prices cant be compared to anywhere else in the world.

I find UK prices are not very different from ours (usually).

In the case of these Marantz items, this is what I found :

ItemUK PriceIndia Price
Marantz PM8006
GBP 1200​
Rs 85,000​
Much cheaper than UK price
Marantz ND8006
GBP 1100​
Rs 99,000​
Cheaper than UK price
Marantz Model 30
GBP 2900​
Rs 223,990​
A little cheaper than UK price
Marantz Model 40n
GBP 2200​
??​

It is possible that the 40n will be around 2 lakhs ??

Right now, these India prices are great.

Am so tempted to pull the trigger :)

Last edited:
And for some reason, the 30 puts out more power than the 40n. 100w into 8 ohms (with some users saying the true output is way higher) vs 70w...
Wonder why
Because Class D is cheap power :)
Usually all Marantz amps are much more powerful than their official ratings.

Made in Japan' really such a big deal in terms of quality and reliability? Or is it just a bragging rights thing
I upgraded from Marantz SR7010 AVR to SR 8015 which is Made in Japan. The Upgrade was substantial with a better build quality and SQ benefits. Most of the Marantz dealers seem to agree with this, and there's a reason for flagship products to be still being made in Japan.

As Far as the Amplifiers considered i have heard the 30n at my place and its a very good sounding amplifier. Maybe FM @kib_reddy is a right person to comment on ownership experience as he owns one and had compared it to multiple amplifiers. Hopefully this helps, nevertheless the newer 30n or 40n are in different league altogether, as far as the design revamp is concerned and can't be compared with PM series of Marantz Amplifiers.

US prices cant be compared to anywhere else in the world.

I find UK prices are not very different from ours (usually).

In the case of these Marantz items, this is what I found :

ItemUK PriceIndia Price
Marantz PM8006
GBP 1200​
Rs 85,000​
Much cheaper than UK price
Marantz ND8006
GBP 1100​
Rs 99,000​
Cheaper than UK price
Marantz Model 30
GBP 2900​
Rs 223,990​
A little cheaper than UK price
Marantz Model 40n
GBP 2200​
??​

It is possible that the 40n will be around 2 lakhs ??

Right now, these India prices are great.

Am so tempted to pull the trigger :)
From what i heard the prices have shot up lately, Cambridge Audio prices have gone up by 15% by the distributor, i do agree with you though, matching US prices is ridiculous & using UK prices as a benchmark is the right thing to do.

Its around 2500 usd in the US as per the below thread.

Its around 2500 usd in the US as per the below thread.

Thanks.

My prediction is aprox 2 lacs - 2.5 lacs in India.

Question for FMs.
Would this have better performance than the PM8006 + ND8006 (also around 2 lacs togther) ?
Or better to buy the 8006 combo ?

Thanks.

My prediction is aprox 2 lacs - 2.5 lacs in India.

Question for FMs.
Would this have better performance than the PM8006 + ND8006 (also around 2 lacs togther) ?
Or better to buy the 8006 combo ?
You can also consider the alternative, Audiolab 6000N +Audiolab 6000A. If you want a little more power then consider the PM8006 in place of the 6000A. You can also add the Audiolab CDT in the chain if you want a transport. The Audiolab has a proven DAC, I'm not too sure of the Marantz DAC.

I upgraded from Marantz SR7010 AVR to SR 8015 which is Made in Japan. The Upgrade was substantial with a better build quality and SQ benefits. Most of the Marantz dealers seem to agree with this, and there's a reason for flagship products to be still being made in Japan.

As Far as the Amplifiers considered i have heard the 30n at my place and its a very good sounding amplifier. Maybe FM @kib_reddy is a right person to comment on ownership experience as he owns one and had compared it to multiple amplifiers. Hopefully this helps, nevertheless the newer 30n or 40n are in different league altogether, as far as the design revamp is concerned and can't be compared with PM series of Marantz Amplifiers.
Hi,

The Model 30 was my first Integrated amp (used only AVR before) and as you can imagine, it was a huge upgrade. I have to tell you that it is a laid back sound like Marantz amps are known to be, which may not be to everyone's taste - this can be bypassed by using an external pre-amp. It is also Class D so it is dry/precise sounding. After you get used to its sound, every other amp sounds noisy (gray background, not black) and loose with imaging. Its center image is rock solid in a pitch black empty background. It has plenty of power, said to sound great with Magnepans. Like any amp, speaker matching is everything. It goes will with bright speakers. One of the forum members exchanged his amp with mine for a week, he loved the sound of the amp and speakers at my place, felt it was perfect and better than a 50L+ system he had heard, but at his setup, he felt the vocals didnt cut it for him. Personally, I have tried a bunch of amps, also own a Denon 2500NE, and I think the Model 30 is perfect for my setup. This is the amp to get if you want a detailed, clear and precise sound with outstanding imaging.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back