Marantz Model 40n announced

You can also consider the alternative, Audiolab 6000N +Audiolab 6000A. If you want a little more power then consider the PM8006 in place of the 6000A. You can also add the Audiolab CDT in the chain if you want a transport. The Audiolab has a proven DAC, I'm not too sure of the Marantz DAC.
or buy https://www.audiolab.co.uk/omnia/ when its available in india, its all in one including CDP :)

You can also consider the alternative, Audiolab 6000N +Audiolab 6000A. If you want a little more power then consider the PM8006 in place of the 6000A. You can also add the Audiolab CDT in the chain if you want a transport. The Audiolab has a proven DAC, I'm not too sure of the Marantz DAC.
Thanks. Did consider.

Am a fan of the Marantz sound. From the reviews, the Audiolab is more clinical and precise.

I have a Marantz PM7000N, which I love.
Am dreaming of what would be the sensible next step in the upgrade path, ie if you can call upgrading constantly as being sensible :) .

Am a fan of the Marantz sound.
Am dreaming of what would be the sensible next step in the upgrade path.

Ah, got it! maybe you should just get one ;)

"Made in Japan" invokes an emotional response for sure. Japanese quality is legendary all over the world. And this was especially true 20 years and earlier when owning a Japanese made product was a "matter of pride", mind you, it still is.
The Chinese have not only caught up, but, also mastered production at scale whilst maintaining similar standards at a much lower cost of production. But, from a consumers' point of view, "Made in Japan" always sounds better than "Made in China".

I have heard both PM 8006 and 6000a extensively, currently own the 6000a.

People loving Marantz house sound or even warm sound will love the 8006, it is a very smooth sounding amplifier. Audiolab on other hand attacks, punches with better bass control which is tight.

I absolutely love both amps, one cannot go wrong with either. But it comes down to taste, neutral vs warm. And both have a very different size, Marantz is huge, were as Audiolab is sleek.
PM 8006 carries the Made in Japan badge.

With most OEMs moving to Class D, might see a top to bottom approach. We might see some class D in budget line going forward.
Both Model 30 & 40 look superb on specs, and people know how a marantz sounds will love this.

I absolutely dig the looks of these 😍😍😍

People loving Marantz house sound or even warm sound will love the 8006, it is a very smooth sounding amplifier. Audiolab on other hand attacks, punches with better bass control which is tight.

I absolutely love both amps, one cannot go wrong with either. But it comes down to taste, neutral vs warm. And both have a very different size, Marantz is huge, were as Audiolab is sleek.
PM 8006 carries the Made in Japan badge.

With most OEMs moving to Class D, might see a top to bottom approach. We might see some class D in budget line going forward.
Both Model 30 & 40 look superb on specs, and people know how a marantz sounds will love this.

I absolutely dig the looks of these 😍😍😍
This is fascinating! I gave away my Audiolab in favour of a Crown XLS. I found that the Crown had better dynamic control. The Audiolab was “too smooth” for my liking.

I had visited @ssf recently to return his beloved Quad S2s; he had set up the QA 3050i in its place. I had heard the combination of the QAs with the Marantz SR7010 on a previous visit, and they were thoroughly enjoyable. On this occasion, he made me sit at the MLP, turned on the audio system, and asked me to figure out what had changed. I distinctly remember the sweet sound of the Marantz and the QA, but this time it sounded "anaemic" and harsh. The mids had lost their body and just appeared "unrefined". I sat there wondering what had changed. He did own a Crown, which he used to drive his subwoofer with, but I dared not ask if that was 'in fact' the offending component. All I asked him was if his Marantz was doing the duties? He said no, it's the Crown! I was gutted, because they sounded divine with the same combination in MY room. Another testament to how a room plays a much bigger role sonically!

This is fascinating! I gave away my Audiolab in favour of a Crown XLS. I found that the Crown had better dynamic control. The Audiolab was “too smooth” for my liking.

He said no, it's the Crown! I was gutted, because they sounded divine with the same combination in MY room. Another testament to how a room plays a much bigger role sonically!

Even I found the crown a bit harsh, but the whole chain I feel plays a important role. Even down to speaker wires! Maybe you have got the synergy just right 😁

When I want more sparkles in my sound I just switch to the OB speakers I built.

Hi,

The Model 30 was my first Integrated amp (used only AVR before) and as you can imagine, it was a huge upgrade. I have to tell you that it is a laid back sound like Marantz amps are known to be, which may not be to everyone's taste - this can be bypassed by using an external pre-amp. It is also Class D so it is dry/precise sounding. After you get used to its sound, every other amp sounds noisy (gray background, not black) and loose with imaging. Its center image is rock solid in a pitch black empty background. It has plenty of power, said to sound great with Magnepans. Like any amp, speaker matching is everything. It goes will with bright speakers. One of the forum members exchanged his amp with mine for a week, he loved the sound of the amp and speakers at my place, felt it was perfect and better than a 50L+ system he had heard, but at his setup, he felt the vocals didnt cut it for him. Personally, I have tried a bunch of amps, also own a Denon 2500NE, and I think the Model 30 is perfect for my setup. This is the amp to get if you want a detailed, clear and precise sound with outstanding imaging.
Just wondering what was the 50L+ system that has been beaten up.

I had visited @ssf recently to return his beloved Quad S2s; he had set up the QA 3050i in its place. I had heard the combination of the QAs with the Marantz SR7010 on a previous visit, and they were thoroughly enjoyable. On this occasion, he made me sit at the MLP, turned on the audio system, and asked me to figure out what had changed. I distinctly remember the sweet sound of the Marantz and the QA, but this time it sounded "anaemic" and harsh. The mids had lost their body and just appeared "unrefined". I sat there wondering what had changed. He did own a Crown, which he used to drive his subwoofer with, but I dared not ask if that was 'in fact' the offending component. All I asked him was if his Marantz was doing the duties? He said no, it's the Crown! I was gutted, because they sounded divine with the same combination in MY room. Another testament to how a room plays a much bigger role sonically!
Wow! Just another example of how big the impact of the room is...

Hi,
It goes will with bright speakers.
Hi Kib, had read you review thread earlier.
Thank you for adding more details here.
When you say it goes well with bright speakers, how does it work?
Because the 30 itself is laidback as you say, while having so much power on the tap, does it end up kind of "taming" the untrammeled brightness of the speakers?

This is the amp to get if you want a detailed, clear and precise sound with outstanding imaging.
Have been eyeing a pair of speakers that IMO have stunning, extraordinarily true imaging and soundstage. So, will the 30 make for a good mate for those? Like Imaging champ speakers + imaging champ amp = win-win?

Or, would it be like a counter-balance?

I absolutely love both amps, one cannot go wrong with either. But it comes down to taste......
I auditioned PM8006, Audiolab 8300 and CA CXA81, with an assortment of speakers. TBH, not a very systematic audition, nor a very lengthy one. I felt 8300A to be very punchy and lively, CXA81 a bit smooth and PM8006 neutral and detailed with a weee bit of roll off. It sounded more mature. For my listening ie classic rock, heavy metal and western classical, it was the right balance. It's ability to scale up with orchestral pieces was impressive.
But I recon, for pop, techno, EDM, Audiolab would be better.
Everything boils down to your taste and music that you listen. And of course, the speakers you use.
I couldn't compare the soundstage and imaging as much, but at home, PM8006 in combination with Dali Rubicon 6 FS speakers it has beautiful 3D soundstage, reasonable but not very precise imaging. Dynamic range is awesome, suited for classical. Very detailed, but for a critical listener, the very top end roll off is noticeable. Especially for cymbals, hi-hat and triangles. Bass is extremely agile without any booming. Recently one FM who was visiting my home, didn't believe me and kept searching for a hidden SW.. :)
Obviously these are attributes of the whole system, in which my speakers play a huge role.

Last edited:
Hi,

The Model 30 was my first Integrated amp (used only AVR before) and as you can imagine, it was a huge upgrade. I have to tell you that it is a laid back sound like Marantz amps are known to be, which may not be to everyone's taste - this can be bypassed by using an external pre-amp. It is also Class D so it is dry/precise sounding. After you get used to its sound, every other amp sounds noisy (gray background, not black) and loose with imaging. Its center image is rock solid in a pitch black empty background. It has plenty of power, said to sound great with Magnepans. Like any amp, speaker matching is everything. It goes will with bright speakers. One of the forum members exchanged his amp with mine for a week, he loved the sound of the amp and speakers at my place, felt it was perfect and better than a 50L+ system he had heard, but at his setup, he felt the vocals didnt cut it for him. Personally, I have tried a bunch of amps, also own a Denon 2500NE, and I think the Model 30 is perfect for my setup. This is the amp to get if you want a detailed, clear and precise sound with outstanding imaging.
I heard the Model 30N, curious which speakers u got with this amp?

I auditioned PM8006, Audiolab 8300 and CA CXA81, with an assortment of speakers. TBH, not a very systematic audition, nor a very lengthy one. I felt 8300A to be very punchy and lively, CXA81 a bit smooth and PM8006 neutral and detailed with a weee bit of roll off. It sounded more mature. For my listening ie classic rock, heavy metal and western classical, it was the right balance. It's ability to scale up with orchestral pieces was impressive.
But I recon, for pop, techno, EDM, Audiolab would be better.
Everything boils down to your taste and music that you listen. And of course, the speakers you use.
I couldn't compare the soundstage and imaging as much, but at home, PM8006 in combination with Dali Rubicon 6 FS speakers it has beautiful 3D soundstage, reasonable but not very precise imaging. Dynamic range is awesome, suited for classical. Very detailed, but for a critical listener, the very top end roll off is noticeable. Especially for cymbals, hi-hat and triangles. Bass is extremely agile without any booming. Recently one FM who was visiting my home, didn't believe me and kept searching for a hidden SW.. :)
Obviously these are attributes of the whole system, in which my speakers play a huge role.

Thanks chief. Very useful review.

Hi Kib, had read you review thread earlier.
Thank you for adding more details here.
When you say it goes well with bright speakers, how does it work?
Because the 30 itself is laidback as you say, while having so much power on the tap, does it end up kind of "taming" the untrammeled brightness of the speakers?

Have been eyeing a pair of speakers that IMO have stunning, extraordinarily true imaging and soundstage. So, will the 30 make for a good mate for those? Like Imaging champ speakers + imaging champ amp = win-win?

Or, would it be like a counter-balance?
One thing I have noticed is that Bright is not a problem if you have a good clean chain - no harshness with good cables/DAC/Streamer. Good interconnects are more important than speaker cables here. But general practice is to match laid back with forward between amp and speakers to not go over board.

If you have speakers with good imaging, its mandatory that you get a Amp/DAC that can image well too as the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. A good DDC makes a huge difference here as a quality clock which gives good timing is all important when is it comes to imaging. Also some room treatment and good speaker placement is needed. The best imaging I have heard is @drkrack 's setup where he has worked on all the elements. Mind blowing 3d sound stage I didn't even think was possible.

The best imaging I have heard is @drkrack 's setup where he has worked on all the elements. Mind blowing 3d sound stage I didn't even think was possible.
I agree. Both soundstage and imaging are so mind-blowing that all the elements stand out separately. But such arrangements can be tricky as it's just one step away from being very dry and clinical. The Marantz house sound is different from that approach. It favors the 60s to 80s more organic and less audiophile sound better. Dr. Krithik's system OTOH totally slays it with modern recordings. Not that it's bad with older stuff. While listening to Scorpions' The Zoo, I felt like I can hear the leather and metal crashing on the cobble stoned back alleys of Berlin. It was so mind-blowingly resolving with razor sharp imaging. But in the process it robbed the hazy, decadent atmosphere of drunken late night parties of the wild youth. Technically perfect. Emotionally.... I don't know.
Horses for courses, really.
But my boundless regards for Krithik. A most generous and humble gentleman who opened my eyes to real hifi...

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back