Marantz PM 6006 vs Yamaha 300 vs Norge 2060 UBT

Marantz PM 6006 vs Yamaha 303 vs Norge 2060 UBT

• Marantz

• Yamaha

• Norge

Results are only viewable after voting.
Actually the correct assessment would be
These Marantz series would fare better with speakers of higher sensitivity and fewer low impedance swings
Cheers,
Raghu
Could you clarify by what you meant when you said "fewer lower impedance swings"?

Could you clarify by what you meant when you said "fewer lower impedance swings"?
Speakers are rated nominally at 8 ohms, 6 ohms, 4 ohms
In reality, an 8 ohm speaker can dip to a lower impedance at certain audio frequencies.
E.g My speakers:
KEF R300 - Nominal 8 ohms; minimum 3.2 ohms
BW DM303 - Nominal 8 ohms; minimum 4.3 ohms

Ideally, the forays into impedance less than 6 ohms (nearing 4 or below) should be few and far between.
Otherwise amps can get stressed driving such speakers.
If a speaker is rated at 4 ohms, then the power amp must be able to produce enough current to drive the load.
Other clipping can set in and bad things can happen to the speaker drivers.
Tweeters, are very prone to clipping, as they do not like long DC voltages.
They will die silently.

Cheers,
Raghu

Marantz's PM 50** & 60** are underpowered, are good only for bookshelf speakers.
That is a rather generalized statement. Maybe you should specify what is good power in your definition.
My PM6005 (45 WPC) drives Wharfedale Diamond 230 floorstanders to window rattling SPLs in my 16 x 30 feet room.
Does the OP have any usually high loudness requirements?

So, It's Marantz among the three. What would you guys say if NAD 3020 (Old One) were to be thrown in the mix?

That is a classic. Never goes out of vogue.
If you get a well maintained unit it's worth a try.

Like marantz, nad has a mid/vocal bump. Keep this in mind.
Both are good for easy and long hours of listening.
If you lean towards a lively presentation, you can get bored with them very soon.

Cheers,
Raghu

Read NAD 316 BEE, not NAD 3020.

In case you are used to listening at low to moderate volumes (come what may) then a low power amp and high sensitivity speakers are enough . In case you have a habit of cranking the volume (even occasionally) then go for a high power amp .

Generally I Listen to music at low to moderate volumes . Sometimes when I am not in the same room as my gear then I increase the volume ...My Marantz PM7001 / PM8005 has gone into protection mode ....So I now use them only when I am in the same room

In the past 4 years not once has Marantz PM11S2 gone into protection mode irrespective of the volume .. all said and then there are various factors - amp power , speaker sensitivity , size of room , volume levels , type of music (bass heavy tracks) , Playing for long durations without giving a break to the system to cooldown etc ... During weekends or in the lockdown period when we are at home we tend to use our system for a longer duration ...so despite all the claims about you dont need too much power or it is quality of power that matters etc ....fact is power does matter

That is a rather generalized statement. Maybe you should specify what is good power in your definition.
My PM6005 (45 WPC) drives Wharfedale Diamond 230 floorstanders to window rattling SPLs in my 16 x 30 feet room.
Does the OP have any usually high loudness requirements?
A lot depends on perception. I myself used PM 6004 with MS Aviano 6, and I was not happy with it.
BTW. please go through this thread https://www.hifivision.com/threads/whathifi-screw-up.24183/

Save yourself some money and go for Norge. There is no hype around it and is complete VFM compared to Marantz entry level amps. Yamaha produces ear fatigue at times being slightly on the brighter side. I have tried Marantz, Topping , Rotel and Norge in amps and i still miss the Norge 2060 because of its sheer grip on any speaker - floorsranders as well as book shelves. But do audition before you decide.

My primary listening would be Indian. But I also enjoy well recorded English songs for imaging/Sound Stage. My daughter is more into English but she isn't too concerned with Audiophile things.
I have both Marantz PM6006 and Norge 1000. If you want numerous inputs, silver finish and other frills of Marantz, then go for Marantz.
If three inputs and the simple looks of Norge are ok with you, go for Norge 2060 for Indian music, and 1000 for both Indian and Western music.

Wattage wise Marantz PM6006 is certainly less powered than Norge 1000.

Marantz has more bass if one uses the loudness button, but I do not find it comfortable, and I normally use the base control to boost bass if required.

As far as audio quality is concerned, each has it's own sound signature, speakers remaining the same, Norge will always sound slightly brighter than Marantz, but this is not a big issue, one can adjust the brightness from the cut and boost type of treble control, in both Marantz and Norge. Instrument separation is slightly better in Marantz, but again that interferes with the main voice or instrument, because whenever vocal or the main instrument is being rendered, other instruments should not be separately prominent unless it is an interlude. I sometimes find Marantz to be dry/ laid back for Indian music, but again it is a personal choice.

AS far as service backup is concerned, Norge is far superior in this aspect, as Norge audio can provide the spares and any local technician can get the job done, but in the case of Marantz, things are different.

If I get the opportunity, I will sell Marantz and retain Norge, as I do not see any big reasons for retaining Marantz.

I have both Marantz PM6006 and Norge 1000. If you want numerous inputs, silver finish and other frills of Marantz, then go for Marantz.
If three inputs and the simple looks of Norge are ok with you, go for Norge 2060 for Indian music, and 1000 for both Indian and Western music.

Wattage wise Marantz PM6006 is certainly less powered than Norge 1000.

Marantz has more bass if one uses the loudness button, but I do not find it comfortable, and I normally use the base control to boost bass if required.

As far as audio quality is concerned, each has it's own sound signature, speakers remaining the same, Norge will always sound slightly brighter than Marantz, but this is not a big issue, one can adjust the brightness from the cut and boost type of treble control, in both Marantz and Norge. Instrument separation is slightly better in Marantz, but again that interferes with the main voice or instrument, because whenever vocal or the main instrument is being rendered, other instruments should not be separately prominent unless it is an interlude. I sometimes find Marantz to be dry/ laid back for Indian music, but again it is a personal choice.

AS far as service backup is concerned, Norge is far superior in this aspect, as Norge audio can provide the spares and any local technician can get the job done, but in the case of Marantz, things are different.

If I get the opportunity, I will sell Marantz and retain Norge, as I do not see any big reasons for retaining Marantz.

Thanks for a great detailed and insightful response!

Marantz has advantage of In Built DAC and Digital connectivity but that can be compensated by an external DAC I guess.

Thanks for a great detailed and insightful response!

Marantz has advantage of In Built DAC and Digital connectivity but that can be compensated by an external DAC I guess.
Yes, that can be done externally and I would say it is always better to keep digital features separate from analog. Digital is always subject to the cycle of upgrades, and if kept separate can be updated easily if required.

Few other things also need to be kept in mind before taking the final decision.
1. Records and turntables are again slowly becoming popular. Whether they gain the popularity as in the earlier days or not is a different issue, but for them analog is the criteria.
2. As far as digital is concerned, the era of cds is over and very few people use computer as music server. In the digital domain, the majority are moving towards android for digital music, for the sake of convenience. Android cannot be connected to the digital inputs of Marantz.
Android can be connected to amp either through bluetooth or any portable dac which android can recognise or through some external preamp that will adjust the headphone out of android to line level to be connected to amp's input or directly from the headphone out of android to the line input of amp but with compromised audio quality.

Keeping all this in view, one has to decide whether the digital inputs of Marantz will be of any practical use or not.

Last edited:
I am using norge 1000 gold with my RBH sv6500 towers and I am pretty happy with its performance for the price that I paid.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back