Marantz PM 80

X11 was improved X1, utilized the same architecture . apparently the mosfet problem was fixed in the X11 /111/1111
x11 came 3 years later.

Sonically, the AU 919 was supposed to be very close to AU-X1. AU-X11 was unique in that it has MM and MC, though MC impedance loading is limited to 40 ohms. IIRC, most other AU series amps had two MM phono inputs.

Since I posted about my Marantz 2270 restoration project in
this thread (post #16), I thought I'd post the completed result in
the same thread).

I started with this -

m01.jpg

After replacing nearly 90 capacitors, 10 diodes, 25 transistors (phono
board + rebuilding of damaged power amp boards),
it looks like this ....

m17.jpg

m20.jpg

m29.jpg

More pics here .... (I'll update the album later with the pics of the
refurbished WC-22 original, wooden case too).

https://picasaweb.google.com/prasadb/Marantz2270#

Last edited:
wow!!!!!! Wonderful job.
Can we have dedicated thread for this. How did you clean PCBs ??? Did Tuner section required setting ?

Wish I had skill like yours. Great job quad.
Regards

^^
WOW! awe-freakin-some!

can u do the same for my Sansui????

:)

I now have a new respect for service technicians.
This project took up so much of my time.
Mostly learning a lot of Marantz circuit and service info, and lots
of time spent searching for replacement parts. For the caps, I
was really lucky to get Wima, Panasonic, Elna and Rubycons.

They really packed in those circuit boards, with short wires too.
And the damn thing is so heavy, every time I needed to flip it
over, I had a backache!
Fun, yes, but don't really want to do it again.

wow!!!!!! Wonderful job.
Can we have dedicated thread for this. How did you clean PCBs ??? Did Tuner section required setting ?

Wish I had skill like yours. Great job quad.
Regards

Thanks, Hiten.
Circuit boards took nearly one bottle of iso-propyl alcohol, a pack of
Johnson ear buds, and so much of time. Perhaps this is the only time
it helps to be a obsessive compulsive type. Else would have given
up long ago :lol:
Tuner section - fortunately, it didn't need realignment. The original owner
said when he brought it to India in the early '70s, there was no FM.
When FM started here, he tried, but it never worked for him.
I suspect my cleaning of all the contacts and replacing the caps fixed something,
as everything works perfectly now. *Touchwood*

Perhaps this is the only time
it helps to be a obsessive compulsive type.
and Patience... lots of it.... :)
Marantz 22 _ _ series is a classic. Already is in my classic receivers list. Others being Harman Karden 930, Carver MXR 130, Luxman R1120. All High Fidelity Receivers with good tuner section.
Regds.

Last edited:
I'm stuck in some what similar dilemma. I have offers for Marantz PM80 and Sansui AU-719.

I'm more inclined towards PM80 for its Class A mode operation. This would be used to drive a pair of Sansui s1000j speakers which is slightly on the dark side (100W RMS, 3 way with 10" woofer, 4" mid range, 2" tweeter).
I have a mixed taste to music starting from Mohd Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, GnR, Metallica, Above n Beyond, Coldplay and the list goes on..

I know its next to impossible to satisfy all the co-ordinates as the list of music mentioned above are crazy.

Looking for suggestions and opinions.

Go for the Sansui. I find that the Marantz unit that you mentioned is a bit 'soft' on the bass and rolled off on the high's.

the sansui is a better bet for your music preferences.

Go for Sansui. I have a AU317 firing sansui S81U speakers - with two 10 inch woofers, one 4 inch mid range and one 3 inch tweeter. I have had them now for over 3 months and must say impressed. Even though it is rated at 50wpc, the amp seems to have a lot more power then it is specs claim. As for the speakers they are good for jazz & blues, ghazals and soft music but throw in some hard rock or tracks with lots of instruments, they tend to be confused(not in a bad way).
Let me know if you do not intend to pick up the AU719;)

Last edited:
Thanks alot malvai, krell and AVM for your valuable comments, PM80 has been removed from the list as of now.

I would be finalizing the amp this weekend, As of now, the shopping cart has Sansui AU-719 and Sansui AU-D9. I would be auditioning both of them this weekend. Could any one throw some light on AU-D9.

AU-719 seems to be a very popular amp among serious music listeners if not audiophiles. This makes it a safe bet as the parts are comparatively easier to source. However AU-D9 seems to be pretty rare and not so popular.

In case both the amps are in more or less in the same condition, Would I be loosing a chance on something rare and valuable If i choose AU-719 over AU-D9?

Edit: I would let you know AVM.. :)

Last edited:
Asif,

Felt this could be useful for you, Marantz PM-80 is for sale in Olx (Posted 8th

Thanks Audio Freek,

My friend went and checked the same and he was not happy with the audition. I've gone ahead and picked up a Sansui AU-719, Now waiting for my speakers to reach :clapping:

Oh thats good news,

We are waiting for the detailed review:) and pictures of the same.Vintage Stuff appears like cute babies for me:)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back