Marantz PM6004 Versus Topping TP60

roelt

I am in the market looking to purchase a two-channel amplifier to be used mainly for listening to music in the living room. I'm currently considering between Marantz PM6004 and Topping TP60. Can you please let me know which in your opinion is better between the two in terms of music quality only. I would highly appreciate receiving information preferably from forum members who have the chance to listen to both.

My guess is, the Topping TP20 would sound as good, if not slightly better, than the PM6004, provided you have speakers which are easy to drive.

Edit: The tp20 would not disappoint you in sonic quality except for that it may be found wanting with low sensitivity speakers.

I would put my money on Marantz PM6004. I have auditioned PM6003 quite a number of times and have always liked it. Here's why :

1. Warm & Musical SQ
2. Bass : Tight and not boomy/bloated at all. Mids : Balanced and Vocal presentation is quite balanced. Produces vocal textures quite beautifully. Trebles : Goes high enough but never sounds harsh to the ear.
3. Matched well with different speakers (ones I have tried is Dali, Wharfedale, Cambridge Audio)
4. Would provide you with ample power to drive many common 86-88db sensitive bookshelf speakers.

The topping T20 is good for its own reasons (warm tube like sound, compact size, Price to performance ratio) but why I would not prefer Topping is :

1. Provision of connecting only 1 source at a time.
2. Wattage is limited. At times if one wants to pump up the volume, it produces a limitation. Only 8 watts.
3. As someone already rightly pointed, it has to be paired with relatively high sensitivity speakers.
4. I found the pairing of Topping with Wharfedales 9.1 to be a little weird in terms of Treble. It used to produce sibilant highs which would start producing ear fatigue after some listening.

You can try both with the speakers that you are going to run with the these and make your choice.

hi, having heard atleast four dedicated stereo amps and owning two variants of topping amps I am certain that the topping will not disappoint you at all. For 5k it gives a very good perspective of a high end stereo amp. I have not heard the marantz but feel that it may have an edge over the topping but just see the price difference and your choice is clear. You need to spend a lot of money to get significantly better sound than what the topping can offer. You cannot go wrong with the topping surely. I suggest buy one and take your time to upgrade later.

question - how does topping connect to laptop and 3.5mm speaker jack?
Do I need to buy separate connectors / power supply?

You just need to buy a mini stereo to rca cable( iPod cable as it is known now).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Marantz is more musical. I tried TP20 with my Quad L1 and it was very bright. Matantz 6003 compliments very well to most speakers, 6004 should not be too different

i auditioned marantz pm6004.. it`s very nice in all aspects with kef q300.. but remember,system matching is must for stereo amps.. sometimes wrong speaker selection leads some harshness in both frequencies..

How do I purchase Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022 50WPC from India?
How do you think will it perform with Mordaunt short aviano 1?
What will be the best speaker for this amp?
Does it really have a tube like sound?
How much will it cost in Rs?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back