marantz pm6007 vs marantz nr1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashh

Hello.

I want to buy an stereo amplifier. I have shortlisted to marantz pm 6007 and nr 1200.
I know the difference in these two that nr 1200 has streaming properties and wifi and additional watts of 75 W, where as 6007 has only 45W. There is a price difference of 20K in both.

I cant take audition of the any. The problem here is that my first priority is only good music. Although I need streaming properties too but not at the cost of compromise with sound quality.
Does Nr1200 contains same or better sound quality as pm 6007 or it compromises sound quality because of addition of watts and streaming quality.

Also please suggest that does NR 1510 can serve the both purpose. Means stereo quality like nr 1200/pm 6007 and also 5.1 surround for movies.

Please suggest.

Last edited:
If sound quality is of utmost importance then consider better integrated amplifiers like Audiolab 6000a. It will be a big jump over 6007 or 1200.
If you are interested in used ones then there was a Audiolab 6000a posted in sale section for something like 50k. You can check if it's still available or not.

Thanks for suggesting. Just checked 6000a is available at 97K on hifimart. Budget is around 50 K

I own a AVR, an Integrated Amplifier as well as separates.

I would pick IA or Separates any day over NR or AVR's, don't go by the watts specified. In real world they wouldn't mean much.
AVR has higher watts compared to Integrated, do they sound good? No.

PM6007 is a very good IA, like @matazooma said audiolab 6000a was available for 50k from a user in Jammu. This is much better than PM6007 but lacks tone controls, has tons of other features though.

I was eying on it but decided to go for separates.

Hello.

I want to buy an stereo amplifier. I have shortlisted to marantz pm 6007 and nr 1200.
I know the difference in these two that nr 1200 has streaming properties and wifi and additional watts of 75 W, where as 6007 has only 45W. There is a price difference of 20K in both.

I cant take audition of the any. The problem here is that my first priority is only good music. Although I need streaming properties too but not at the cost of compromise with sound quality.
Does Nr1200 contains same or better sound quality as pm 6007 or it compromises sound quality because of addition of watts and streaming quality.

Also please suggest that does NR 1510 can serve the both purpose. Means stereo quality like nr 1200/pm 6007 and also 5.1 surround for movies.

Please suggest.
If SQ is your only criterion, PM6007. It might even be louder, irrespective of the specs.

Hello.

Please suggest.

I have not audioned them, but in my view, the PM6007 will have better sound quality.

The NR1200 is a stereo receiver - ie it has HDMI inputs. Some of the manufacturing cost goes into the video processing circuitry. The PM6007 is purely a stereo audio amplifier.

If you want better SQ then the PM6007, with in-built streaming capability, in the Marantz line-up that is the PM7000N. However that is a lot more expensive - around 90K.

For a reasonably priced Marantz amp with Bluetooth etc consider the CR412.

Thanks for answer. By doing further research on reviews, i have found that pm 6007 is not a good stereo, it compromises mid range as compared to other entry level marantz stereo. That creates a doubt whether go for pm 5005 or pm 6007.

Thanks for answer. By doing further research on reviews, i have found that pm 6007 is not a good stereo, it compromises mid range as compared to other entry level marantz stereo. That creates a doubt whether go for pm 5005 or pm 6007.
Pm5005 doesn't have a DAC hence you will need an external DAC to go with it.

Thanks.
I have a DAC in phone. Can than work?
Or please suggest any amp on 40 k.

Thanks.
I have a DAC in phone. Can than work?
Also does DAC make that much difference.?
Yes. DACs makes a huge difference. Your phones internal DAC won't be good enough and the signal output will be low hence you would have to crank the amplifier volume as the signal is not line level . Also if you use the phone as DAC then you can't use your phone for other things at the same time.
You have two options 1) You good budget DACs like Schiit modi 3, topping e10, etc. 2) Use a good budget streamers like Boss2 player. These will cost you around 10k - 13k.

These will be worth it and will be better than the internal DAC of pm6007.

I have a secondary system with pm5005 and have tried with both modi3 and boss2 and both sounds much better than the internal DAC of my pm6006.

Yes. DACs makes a huge difference. Your phones internal DAC won't be good enough and the signal output will be low hence you would have to crank the amplifier volume as the signal is not line level . Also if you use the phone as DAC then you can't use your phone for other things at the same time.
You have two options 1) You good budget DACs like Schiit modi 3, topping e10, etc. 2) Use a good budget streamers like Boss2 player. These will cost you around 10k - 13k.

These will be worth it and will be better than the internal DAC of pm6007.

I have a secondary system with pm5005 and have tried with both modi3 and boss2 and both sounds much better than the internal DAC of my pm6006.
yes exactly.i have a pm 6007 and i can confirm that the boss2 dac is somehow better than pm 6007s dac.pm6007 has always sounded somewhat rolled off and boomy and that was really concerning as my previous yamaha avr seemed more clinical to me,which should not ideally be as a stereo amp shud be better.

the reason i went specifically for boss 2 i stead of allo signature was to avoid using the pm6007 dac and also avoid buying new dac.I have to say i am not disspointed.

As an owner of pm6007 i would suggest you drop that from your options.

i dont know but cambridge audio was one if my options but fear of spare and aervice issues made me choose pm6007.

You have already fallen in the classical trap. There is no way you will escape this. Several people have given you subjective opinion based on their experience, preference, room, upstream and downstream components. None of them have heard the other person's system. This is a classical case of 5 blind men describing an elephant.
Only you know what you want/ like.
Most experienced members on this forum will advice you to log out of this forum for some time. Please go out and listen. Either in shops or friends' systems. If you buy a system without listening, you will almost certainly regret it. Even if the process takes months, that's alright. These stuff last for long. You won't like to get something that you want to sell soon after. Without listening yourself, none of the advice makes any sense whatsoever.

+1 to @Lizard King

Its you to make a decision on what makes you happy. These things will last you forever. I am using a IA from 2004 which i got for free from a friends Dad, and I am madly in love with it.
Adding the speaker mix makes more complicated.

Don't rush on these things, go audition hear them out. People travel states to get taste of a amplifier or speaker if they are really keen on it.

@sand87ch shocked you are not recommending PM6007, is it just because of DAC or as a whole package. I heard it once twice and I liked the way it sounded with Mission LX2, QX2 and QA3020, 3030.

+1 to @Lizard King

Its you to make a decision on what makes you happy. These things will last you forever. I am using a IA from 2004 which i got for free from a friends Dad, and I am madly in love with it.

Don't rush on these things, go audition hear them out. People travel states to get taste of a amplifier or speaker if they are really keen on it.

@sand87ch shocked you are not recommending PM6007, is it just because of DAC or as a whole package. I heard it once twice and I liked the way it sounded with Mission LX2, QX2 and QA3020, 3030.
@amrutmhatre90 yes just the dac.i thought my comments were clear on that part.

And as @Lizard King said i too agree to go audition but if nearby places and covid situation is the concern then i suggested he gets something different.

+1 to @Lizard King

Which 2004 IA are you using? If I may ask.
I know someone in Mumbai who still swears by his Sonodyne system from the 90s even though he could easily upgrade to a new and expensive system! (I forgot the model number)

Which 2004 IA are you using? If I may ask.
I know someone in Mumbai who still swears by his Sonodyne system from the 90s even though he could easily upgrade to a new and expensive system! (I forgot the model number)

NAD 320BEE with 50 WPC.
Can be used as Pre Amplifier, Power Amplifier and a Integrated Amplifier.

Pre amp section is weak compared to today's standards, but adding different Pre Amps makes this combo a gem.

Thank you friends. The real problem was that i cant get the audition of the any. But of that is requirement I will try to fi d nearest state/ city to listen and choose according to my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back