Marantz PM8005 from Singapore

bmrind

Hi forum members,
I am planning to buy a new marantz pm8005 amplifier from Singapore when I will be on vacation with my family.

My concerns are as follows

- is it a wise decision to buy from Singapore and bring it to Chennai?

- if yes, then please suggest outlets from where I can buy the same

- can I get a vat refund at Singapore airport?

- any other factors to be considered on buying , packing and bringing it to home?

Awaiting for your suggestions and replies.
Thank you,
Regards,
Raj

You wont get Warranty here. Its safe to buy from Marantz Distributer or Dealer. You can bargain with them. If the difference is less than 10k buying is a risky proposition unless you can airlift it .

If the difference in price is more than 30% it is worth to bring it from Singapore. Usually marantz products are priced similar in different markets so the price difference would not be much. It would be better to buy in India with warranty.

Hi forum members,
I am planning to buy a new marantz pm8005 amplifier from Singapore when I will be on vacation with my family.

My concerns are as follows

- is it a wise decision to buy from Singapore and bring it to Chennai?

- if yes, then please suggest outlets from where I can buy the same

- can I get a vat refund at Singapore airport?

- any other factors to be considered on buying , packing and bringing it to home?

Awaiting for your suggestions and replies.
Thank you,
Regards,
Raj

Hi

Consider the weight you need to carry. possible customs on electronics...the warranty aspect etc....there was a time when the cost was high in India....now with too many dealers selling the same product....most of them compete with each other and provide the lowest rates possible.....GST is something we have to live with ...no choice on the tax part...overall from my experience, more or less....AVR are available close to rates in Dubai and US.....

The only effort you need to put is hunting for the right dealer and a good amount of patience......

If you want to get something from abroad, you should get something which is not available in India and should be worth the effort of carting it to India....end of the day it is all on personal preferences etc.

When I bought my Marantz AVR a few months back, I actually got the price lower in India than the advertised USD price. I think Marantz is one brand where the prices are uniform on most part of the globe.

Hence do consider the pros and cons carefully before you buy from outside of India.

I hand carried my marantz receiver from Belgium. The price difference was nearly double. I cud happily let go the warranty.
Luckily, this was the only model which I found price difference on. Otherwise, almost similar pricing.

Marantz products are not cheap here in India. Some products are double the price. For example PM14S1 amplifier here MRP is 2.6L. But in UK it is selling about 1500 pounds which is about 1.4L and we can get VAT exemption also.
On other hand many brands like Yamaha, Kef, rega products are more or less same price as in international.
So better negotiate with Indian dealer and try to buy from local. One good example I bought my Focal speaker in 2014 from local dealer cheaper than international online prices.

Hi

Consider the weight you need to carry. possible customs on electronics...the warranty aspect etc....there was a time when the cost was high in India....now with too many dealers selling the same product....most of them compete with each other and provide the lowest rates possible.....GST is something we have to live with ...no choice on the tax part...overall from my experience, more or less....AVR are available close to rates in Dubai and US.....

The only effort you need to put is hunting for the right dealer and a good amount of patience......

If you want to get something from abroad, you should get something which is not available in India and should be worth the effort of carting it to India....end of the day it is all on personal preferences etc.
+1. well said.

Marantz PM 8005 retials for SGD 1,499..Since you are from chennai, you can also visit 1st line beach road, near beach rly station.. Can make your life easy..

It will save you lot of hassles of buying in singapore, shipping, duties & stuff.. Being a stereo amplifier, very bleak chances of going kaput.. so a safer bet buying locally as said earlier..

I hand carried my marantz receiver from Belgium. The price difference was nearly double. I cud happily let go the warranty.
Luckily, this was the only model which I found price difference on. Otherwise, almost similar pricing.
Hey Kumar,

I am going to Belgium soon, Where did you buy the marantz avr from? i mean which store?
you could pm me the deatails if you want.

Thanks.

Hey Kumar,

I am going to Belgium soon, Where did you buy the marantz avr from? i mean which store?
you could pm me the deatails if you want.

Thanks.
Hello Insane,

I got my marantz AVR from amazon.de at 429 Euros in jan 2017. Currently its retailing at 575 Euros which is 10K higher.

I got my NAD amp from this store which was closest to my office in Chaussee :

http://www.newmusic.brussels/

Adress :
343-345, chaussée d'Ixelles
1050 Bruxelles
Tel. +0032 (0)2 647 71 70
Fax. +0032 (0)2 640 59 84

These guys also deal in marantz and lot of high end amps. Reach out to them and set an appointment.

Hello Insane,

I got my marantz AVR from amazon.de at 429 Euros in jan 2017. Currently its retailing at 575 Euros which is 10K higher.

I got my NAD amp from this store which was closest to my office in Chaussee :

http://www.newmusic.brussels/

Adress :
343-345, chaussée d'Ixelles
1050 Bruxelles
Tel. +0032 (0)2 647 71 70
Fax. +0032 (0)2 640 59 84

These guys also deal in marantz and lot of high end amps. Reach out to them and set an appointment.
Thanks for the info, sent you a PM.

If the price difference is big its a safe bet to buy from outside india. I have got My Marantz 6003 amp (price diff was abt 7 k 14/21000 5-6 years back)
Onkyo 609 (15 k diff from amazon.de) , JBL subwoofer (18 k diff - amazon.de) all working good till date. I am not sure that now the price difference exists betwen Singapore & Indian MARANTZ poducts. And usually stero amplifier s dont go kaput easily. Go for it if the price difference is big & you can carry back the item easily without getting in the eyes of Customs & if you dont have luggage issue..

If the difference in price is more than 30% it is worth to bring it from Singapore. Usually marantz products are priced similar in different markets so the price difference would not be much. It would be better to buy in India with warranty.
I believe PM 8005 retails somewhere in between 1500-1700 Singapore dollars. But here in Chennai was told around 1.2 L

Marantz PM 8005 retials for SGD 1,499..Since you are from chennai, you can also visit 1st line beach road, near beach rly station.. Can make your life easy..

It will save you lot of hassles of buying in singapore, shipping, duties & stuff.. Being a stereo amplifier, very bleak chances of going kaput.. so a safer bet buying locally as said earlier..

I had that option earlier but since I myself going to Singapore thought of buying in person.
Based on members replies......think it's wise to buy within India.

Hi friends,
Thanks for all your valuable replies, made up my mind to drop purchasing from Singapore.

You could probably look for some speakers if you are in need of. You could audition in Singapore as they have major showrooms

@ bmrind

If you have made up your mind on the Marantz...reach out to MZ Audio (Mumbai) and speak to Sayyed.....he is the owner's son and a nice chap to deal with.

He will provide the best possible discount and arrange for the same to be delivered to you. (They also have their partners operating in major cities in India...delivery is possible).

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back